PDA

View Full Version : Blower motor

tn_viper
03-05-2003, 01:47 PM
I have 1999 Mobius and the blower motor is screaming. Started last summer. Now that I have found where it is I can't really get to it to see what diameter it is. Also is there an easy way to get to it and repleace it? I also noticed that there are two vent hoses but only one motor. Is this correct?

Thanks for the help

catdog
03-10-2003, 08:59 PM
Our 99 outback ( same hull as yours, i think ) has two air-inlet vent hoses, one each from pick-ups just in front of the left and right windshields. They drop down below the floorboards at midships ( or appear to be supposed to ).

I think they are open-ended intakes that provide ram-air at cruising speed when the fan is off in order to displace heavier-than-air gasoline fumes from the bilge and beneath the floor, discharging near the stern at a grate. There are also two air discharges on the back of the engine box.

The fan is supposed to vent the bilge at low or no speed. Ours is located just below the exhaust manifold on the driver's side of the engine. It is white in color. It has an open intake end. It has an exhaust end that is attached to a flexible tube that in-turn vents at the stern. I seem to have one discharge hose and one fan, not two.

About those two ram-air inlet hoses. Check to make sure yours are hooked-up. My driver's side one wasn't.

I removed the kick panel under the dash to investigate something and discovered that the driver's side hose was attached to a floor fitting but only barely, loosely, and slightly positioned over a hole leading to the bilge. The hole itself was partially cut, interfering with another part of the boat, so the floor fitting and vent hose were mounted mostly to the carpet, only overlapping a 1/4 inch or so of the partial hole.

There are few things as menacing in all of boating as fuel vapor in unvented bilges. Make absolutely certain you have the vent set-up that the manufacturer designed. The blower has got to work right and you've got to use it on restarts. If I had any questions, I would have the dealer or a marine repair outfit check it out in detail.

tn_viper
03-10-2003, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the info. I can see the blower motor. It is actually in the back. right next to the vents. There is two vent tubes and one motor. One vent doesn't hook up to anything the other goes to the blower motor. The problem is that I have the factor install Big Bertha Ballest system on the boat then tanks for it fit around the blower motor. This is going to make getting the motor off extreamly diffcult. Thought I had it over the weekend but the front tank is the one that the pump hooks to and that is on the bottom. So going to try a new approach this weekend.

Have a great day.
Ronnie

catdog
03-11-2003, 05:17 AM
I guess you've got a different configuration than ours. And my post missed your point.

That said, I did check the hoses again. We do have a second air hose without a fan that leads from the floor behind the engine to the grate on the stern. So, when the fan is off and boat is cruising, air must enter at the base of the windshield, go below the floor amidship, move rearward through the bilge, and then discharge in three places: at the two little discharge grates on the back of the engine cover and at the second air hose that leads to the plastic grate at the stern.

So, after all that, I haven't given you a bit of help on removing the fan. Good luck, viper. ( By the way, mine is also starting to make some sort of screaming noise also.)

tn_viper
03-25-2003, 03:46 PM
Well got mine replaced over the weekend. But putting the bottom hose back on was real fun. Not enough slack to pull it up enough to make it easy.

Have fun

Ronnie

wdf
06-14-2003, 10:46 PM
Mine quit and pops the breaker. Where can I get a replacement?

Brian Raymond
06-14-2003, 11:58 PM
In a bind, any 3inch blower will suffice. I suggest staying with O.E.M., which can be purchased through the dealer, or SkiersChoice.Brian Raymond