PDA

View Full Version : can I change the oil in the V-Drive

bkearney
08-17-2011, 08:47 PM
Just finished a successful oil change on a new-to-me 2003 Mobius. The owners manual says that only experts (which I am not) should touch the v-drive oil. Is that true, or is it something which a noob can do?

-- bk

Boonejeepin
08-17-2011, 09:27 PM
I am not an expert so I am only sharing my own experience. Proceed at your own risk.

I just pulled the oil drain, drained it, and refilled. No problems since. The tag indicates the correct oil. My v-drive uses SAE 30 oil.

I was not able to use a pump to extract the oil. I think the hose is blocked by the internal parts before it reaches the oil.

kaneboats
08-18-2011, 09:28 AM
I change mine all the time. I use an extractor. The main thing is to make sure it is full and do not overfill. One common technique is to measure what you take out and then put that much in. Check it carefully the first time out and for the next several times out.

bkearney
08-18-2011, 09:55 AM
Thanks.. what happens if you overfill? I have always assumed with engines it is not a big deal.

Boonejeepin
08-18-2011, 10:11 AM
Overfilling can create bubbles/foam and drastically reduce lubrication. Could also over pressurize and create leaks. Just bad....

squeeg333
08-18-2011, 11:26 AM
I'm still amazed that you guys can change that oil. Or rather, remove the filter. I couldn't for the life of me get anything but about a pinky in between the bottom of the boat and the bolts on the filter cover plate. I changed the oil this spring, but used an extractor. I'd really like to get to the filter, but, seems like I'd have to lift the v-drive to get anything under there to remove one of the bolts.