PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade Bilge Pump???

KSmith
08-17-2011, 07:56 AM
Has anyone upgraded their bilge pump or added a second bilge pump?

We were in Tennessee in an area that got pretty congested, so ended up pulling the dreaded inflatables. I have a 3 person banana we break out on rare occassions so we had that out with 3 teenagers riding it trying to throw off the others.

Anyway, they all wrestled themselves off the banana and I slowed down and turned to go back and pick them up. There was one guy in the bow in front of me which blocked part of my field of vision, we were almost back to our riders when the wakes from all these boats running around in circles pulling tubers converged in front of me and built into these giant rollers, which by the time I noticed the waves building we were taking two over the bow... The first one wasn't so bad but it pulled the bow lower and the second was a whopper.

I ended up with standing water half way up to my knees, so I hit the bilge switch and the switch to drain my center ballast and pulled out the center drain access panel and allowed the water to go into the bilge. All told once the water drained into the bilge the water in the bilge was only an inch from the floor bottom. Not sure what that works out to in gallons but when the water was gushing through the walkway and rushing over the top of the windshield it seemed like a lot ;-) I was soaked completely, from the hat on down, most others ended up less soaked, well except for the guy that was riding in the bow :-)

Anyway while the bilge pumped worked and eventually the majority of the water pumped out I was thinking it would have been nice if it had been able to pump out the water faster. If we'd taken a third over the bow we might have been done for.

So all you wild and crazy Moomba owners, any ideas on the best way to install a big honkin bilge pump, something with far greater GPH capability than this stock pump? I'm thinking something that could empty a full bilge in a minute maybe?? BTW what is the stock bilge rated at? I haven't looked at the pump in detail.

lsvboombox
08-17-2011, 08:21 AM
i had a similar situtaion while surfing, took a couple of huge waves over the bow and water was sloshing around..... the center locker bag was full so pulled the access panel for the drain plug. we were setup for surf so there was a lot of water that made its way to the starboard side hull...... I ended up pulling out the flyhigh 1200 gallon pump and bailing some of the water that way.. not sure if the stock pump is 500 or 750.. I feel it worked plenty fast but because we were leaned over on starboard not all the water was getting to the bilge..

rule makes a 1500 gph bilge pump you could wire to a switch and use it as an emergency pump... I believe its a 1 1/8 output... I am not sure I'd want that big of a pump to always be used for the bilge though....

jmvotto
08-17-2011, 09:24 AM
[QUOTE=lsvboombox;152240]l...... I ended up pulling out the flyhigh 1200 gallon pump and bailing some of the water that way.. not sure if the stock pump is 500 or 750.. I feel it worked plenty fast but because we were leaned over on starboard not all the water was getting to the bilge..

QUOTE]
the stock atwood is rated at 500 gph you could upgrade to the 750 or 1100.

http://www.attwoodmarine.com/store/category/pumps-water-systems/automatic-bilge-pumps

having the portable tsunami fly high pump at 1200 is always a good back up as well

http://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-tsunami-pump.html

KSmith
08-17-2011, 10:09 AM
Thanks!

So... I think I may need to upgrade the stock pump to the 1100. I see Rule has a 4000 GPH pump with a 2 inch outlet... Hmmm... I could do that and then put a bypass gate on the output line to feed into a series of reducers and make my own water cannon :-) I could then empty my boat of water out the full 2 inch thru hull or I could flip the gate value and fill someone elses boat with water, or I could put out small fires on shore, or shoot some lake lice off their jetskis, or.... Hmm hard part is filling the bilge to be able to engage the water cannon... perhaps I need two 4000 GPH pumps and a dedicated thru hull and supply line for the water cannon...

lsvboombox
08-17-2011, 10:13 AM
would be nice to figure a way to plumb in the 4K pump to fill the ballast