PDA

View Full Version : Why our fun might get outlawed

wolfeman131
08-16-2011, 10:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl_5X1OOLf0

so, how many safety issues (or laws being broken) can you find in this video?

skiyaker
08-16-2011, 10:54 PM
that is the dumbest thing. Indiana just outlawed wakesurfing behind an outboard or I/O though I'm not sure the DNR will know the difference. Last year I was talking with an officer about surfing and he had never heard of it.

BensonWdby
08-16-2011, 11:14 PM
Agreed that this is not the best idea ever. But two things.
First it shows you don't need 6000 pounds of ballast to create a wake you can surf on.
Second - Has anyone ever heard of someone actually being hurt wake surfing behind an outboard or I/O? It certainly defies reason to take the risk, but I am wondering if there is documentation to back up the concern.

Martin Jr
08-17-2011, 05:20 AM
"Has anyone ever heard of someone actually being hurt wake surfing behind an I/O? "

YES!!!!!!

The "after" pictures of someone contacting the prop are all over the internet.

In fact, Skiers Choice used to warn people not to wakesurf behind their products on the safety page of the website.

I have even been contacted by a big wig pioneer of Wakesurfing, wanting the wakesurfing segment of the documentary to be further edited due to apparent safety concerns.

He would like the guy sitting on the back of the boat (coaching his daughters), and the guy surfing without a life vest, to be removed from the video.

lsvboombox
08-17-2011, 07:50 AM
it looks like the guy driving the boat has scoliosis

lsvboombox
08-17-2011, 07:54 AM
He would like the guy sitting on the back of the boat (coaching his daughters), and the guy surfing without a life vest, to be removed from the video.

was wondering about that.. up here in north east PA the lake popo are all over that!!!! They hate the big waves but really cant do anything about it, so they watch like a hawk and fine you for no jacket(if you get towed in you need it) and sitting on the rear hatch.....

Martin Jr
08-17-2011, 08:40 AM
"it looks like the guy driving the boat has scoliosis"

lol!

Guy driving the boat is the Orlando Supreme dealer.

rc5695
08-17-2011, 11:53 AM
I have even been contacted by a big wig pioneer of Wakesurfing, wanting the wakesurfing segment of the documentary to be further edited due to apparent safety concerns.

He would like the guy sitting on the back of the boat (coaching his daughters)...

I noticed this and thought the same thing to be honest. Not that I'm against a person sitting there myself, but any lake I've ever been on would write you up for that immediately.

bergermaister
08-17-2011, 01:02 PM
Let's see the front of Brittany's board and how many chunks are taken out of it...

My older brother is a 20yr veteran cop and avid fisherman. Has turned down jobs from the Dept of Fish & Wildlife to be an officer so he's pretty wise to the water laws around our neck of the woods. Gave me some good advice on how to stay out of the spotlight so to speak...

-He's warned me to make sure my anchor and running lights are working perfectly and have them on before you think you need them.
-NEVER drive with a passenger sitting outside of the "designated" cabin of the boat. He suggested nothing over an idle.
-Double check your safety gear mid-season, not just at the start - horn, whistle, extinguisher, lifejacket count, throwable, etc. Makes sense to me.
-And never turn down a voluntary inspection. Around here they give us stickers to put on the hull or the windshield after one. Apparently that is a good omen when the popo sees that and will tend to leave you alone more often unless you're doing something really stupid.

He said if you don't want to get inspected or field sobriety tested don't give them any reason to come check you out. I tend to wave at the sheriff patrols when they go by or encourage my kids to!

Inliner
08-18-2011, 05:36 PM
Ok, so for the obvious, with a board long enough you can surf at the Wet and Wild wave pool!!!! Sorry, had to mention that!

Martin Jr
08-18-2011, 06:32 PM
orlando surfers rent out the Disney pool all the time.

Most of them are using short boards.

You ought to try that, it's a real fun evening