PDA

View Full Version : Can't figure it out ...

KG's Supra24
08-16-2011, 03:45 PM
I have a 2006 24ssv with the 340.

The boat will crank all day long but it won't turn over. It sounds like a fuel issue because it will occasionally sputter once the key is released like its gasping for fuel. It seems like gas is getting through the line, through the filter and to the pump. I disconnected the pump (where it pushes fuel to the motor) and when the key turns on it spits out gas so i think i have eliminated the fuel pump. I pulled the air filter off and sprayed in there while trying to crank and still got nothing.

Last weekend we went out and it did this and it eventually turned over. Once we had it running i could turn the boat off/on all day long without problem. Took it out Tuesday, same thing ... took a while to start and once it did it was fine to turn on and off. This past weekend we took it out and it never fired up, just cranked all day long. Also when the boat was running the last two times, it was not running rough or misfiring.

Im not real knowledgable as it is and am pretty much stuck now. My only thoughts are ... 1. could a sensor be causing it not to start 2. could a bad ground somewhere be the issue? 3. is there any type of fuse or possible bad connection in the lanyard?

Not sure if it could have anything to do with it but all of these symptoms started after the local dealership did an oil change.

Appreciate any help yall have to offer.

bergermaister
08-16-2011, 03:50 PM
I would suggest investigating your neutral safety switch. Ya know, if the stick is not upright in neutral the boat won't start but will crank forever like it wants to. I've seen weird issues with that on both old and new boats alike.

New Guy
08-16-2011, 03:58 PM
Kg I had a similar problem this year and what I found was that when I was moving the ballast I knocked the ground wire loose on the fuel pump. It would make contact until we hit a wave ect. you can check that.

There should be a schreder valve (tire valve stem) with the key on push the center of it in and see if there is fuel there.

mnpracing
08-16-2011, 04:03 PM
spark plugs / distributor?

dusty2221
08-16-2011, 04:15 PM
I've been cranking on your mom all day and I can't get her to turn over either.....weird. Last weekend I went at it for about 3 hours, and she finally turned and performed flawlessly all day for me and a few buddies!

KG's Supra24
08-16-2011, 04:18 PM
Ugh .. dammit, i had a whole reply typed out and hit the "reply to thread" and it erased my response. Dang new format ....

You have been patiently waiting on that one huh dusty.

KG's Supra24
08-16-2011, 04:27 PM
I noticed corrosion on the pos/neg connections to the fuel pump when i was trouble shooting. I rewired those for good measure. It kicks on and seems to be sucking in fuel past the filter and pushing it out to the the motor. I disconnected it from the motor, turned the key, and gas was spitting everywhere.

I kinda ruled out the plugs since the boat has not been running rough and I doubt 8 plugs go bad at once. I will try to check them tonight, though.

I have tried the throttle and lanyard kill switch. I have tried it at the obvious spot .. wonder if there is something in line that could have gone wrong? Most likely would be the lanyard between those two though as my boat wont turn over when not in neutral.

My only other thought is something perfect pass related.

I pulled all the batteries last night and plan on hooking everything back up from scratch tonight. I also picked up a fuel filter for good measure and going to swap it. I figure I'll also unhook any perfect pass stuff i see thinking it might perform some sort of hard reset. Thats the strategy for now anyways.

skylar18
08-16-2011, 04:34 PM
KG,

I know you are getting fuel past the filter, but is it enough? I had the same symptoms as you, realized my filter was a bit gummed out, changed it and it worked fine. It was just enough blockage to not turn over the motor, but just enough fuel flowing to give me hope if that makes sense.

Are you going to let Dusty talk about your mother that way!

skylar18
08-16-2011, 04:37 PM
I'm stupid, didn't read your whole post...you are going to check the fuel filter.

KG's Supra24
08-16-2011, 04:51 PM
I know what you mean Skylar. I am swapping my fuel filter tonight. Easy enough.

Dusty owes me a couple "your mom" comments. They will come back around, though, dont worry.

Canuckle Head
08-16-2011, 05:57 PM
[QUOTE=dusty2221;152182]I've been cranking on your mom all day and I can't get her to turn over either.....weird. Last weekend I went at it for about 3 hours, and she finally turned and performed flawlessly all day for me and a few buddies![/QUOTE

I gotta stop drinking soda while reading these posts (I am at work) as I just shot Root beer out my nose I laughed so hard! Well played sir! Well played! KG had that one coming.

KG's Supra24
08-18-2011, 09:12 AM
Well it is just teasing me now

Yesterday after hooking up the batteries it started. Came home today and it wouldn't start, just crank again. I tried a couple times and ended up breaking the ignition switch. I picked up a new ignition switch and installed. Turned it over and boom it started. Shut it down and try again and I'm right back to it only cranking.

Its driving me nuts. I am going to find a fuel pressure gauge tomorrow so I can eliminate that. Past that, I don't really have a plan other than take it to the dealer and have them plug it into diagnostic machine. Hoping the fuel pressure is low or else I'm chasing a short?

mmandley
08-18-2011, 09:30 AM
Before you take it to the shop, check the connections at the fuel pump, starter, electrical connections at the engine for the computer, also check the lanyard connector make sure its not lose.

KG's Supra24
08-18-2011, 10:11 AM
i rewired the connections at the fuel pump ... it started the first try after that and then didnt start again. I rewired my batteries .. started the first time then nothing after that. Rewired my ignition .. started the first time and then nothing after that. starter is letting it crank all day long. lanyard is connected, plus i dont think it would crank if the lanyard weren't in place.

Just got off the phone with indmar. He said the first thing he would do it disconnect the boat from the motor. Essentially pull the 16 pin connection apart and jump the motor with the same wires im using at the ignition. That would tell me if it is indeed a motor problem or a wiring problem inside the boat.

He also said a tune up is one of the first things he would do since it is a 2006 and I can't confirm it has ever had one. However, it hasnt been running rough, so I'm not sure on this one.

Does anyone have a picture of the harness for the computer at the engine? There are alot back there and im simply not sure which one we are talking about.

KG's Supra24
08-18-2011, 12:03 PM
Ran down to the dealership and they scanned the motor and it threw 2 codes:

spn 65615 fm 7
etc activation mechanical system not responding

spn 65618 fm 7
etc return mechanical system not responding

If anyone has heard of these then let me know. Trying to get indmar on the phone, with little succes, at the moment

mmandley
08-22-2011, 09:48 AM
Im with Berg on this one man. I read all your posts and the Supra forum stuff as well. You mentioned your throttle was waide open at somepoint and then you also get random days it will work fine all day then not crank again. Also when your running all day the boat runs fine with no issues.

ETC Electronic Throttle Control means that its losing positiuon of the throttle and it wont fire the boat. The boat is set up so if the throttle is not at idle it wont fire at all. Its a safety issue same as a Park/Nuetral switch.

My buddies old Reinell does this all the time you have to jerk the throttle around till the engine fires up and he refuses to fix it LOL.

Also is your boat Throttle cable or fly by wire? Maybe the cable is going bad and kinking up and not pulling the idle back to nuetral.

As for the Electronics on the boat you said you disconnected them and the boat wont fire? This is od to me because any engine you add fuel and spark to will fire even for a couple seconds.

Also the codes you are throwing are refering to the mechanical system of the throttle. Sounds like the throttle isnt seeing Nuetral. Also i dont think its the ECM at all because that is a good or bad part. Not much of a part to be so so like your problem. I think your dead on when you mentioned each time you work on the boat it starts then wont because your clearing the codes and the codes are acting as a safety stop as well.

KG's Supra24
08-22-2011, 11:11 AM
I think your dead on when you mentioned each time you work on the boat it starts then wont because your clearing the codes and the codes are acting as a safety stop as well.

Agreed, boat is now with another shop, not the dealer, so we will see what they say. Hope to have it back by mid week.

KG's Supra24
08-23-2011, 07:42 PM
.... distributor

wolfeman131
08-23-2011, 07:45 PM
that was it, huh?

mnpracing
08-23-2011, 08:02 PM
spark plugs / distributor?

I called it.

KG's Supra24
08-24-2011, 09:38 AM
I called it.

Nice work!

mnpracing
08-24-2011, 09:40 AM
hopefully that is it and you are back on the water soon

KG's Supra24
08-24-2011, 10:12 AM
It has been replaced and I've heard the boat run.

Was hoping to get out tonight for a test run but might be another evening.