PDA

View Full Version : Need a Bigger Surf Wake

terryleonard2000
08-14-2011, 09:30 PM
We have 2001 Kamberra and want to spruce up the wake for surffing. Spent this past weekend on my buddies mobious and got some great surffing. noticed his boat had a wakeplate that looked a lot like a large trim tab. Does anyone know if or installed a lenco trim tab aftermarket?

Martin Jr
08-15-2011, 05:24 AM
Start on getting some ballast in you boat before worrying about wakeplates

See the classifieds - couple guys are selling 750 lb fly highs

my 2003 Outback had a big wave without a wakeplate

bergermaister
08-15-2011, 11:05 AM
You're in luck... We have the same hull.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?15399-Clean-Slate-Ballast-Installation-Project-T-1200-pumps-all-1-quot-lines

I have no wake plate either and not sure I could justify adding one. Adding weight and placement of it will get you to where you want to be.

If you want any help brainstorming, figuring things out, etc. just let me know. I went lots of rounds before I ended up with the above.

rc5695
08-15-2011, 12:21 PM
I have an '00 Kamberra. Finally have my surfing wake "decent", and think I can get it better by doing a little more tweaking with what I've got. Not sure what you have for ballast terryleonard2000?

I have 750 in the right rear, 370 front center, 250 front right, 3 adult ladies on the right, and only ~50# in the left rear 250 bag.

cab13367
08-15-2011, 03:27 PM
I surf with the wakeplate all the way up so it's not necessary for surfing, or wakeboarding for that matter.

terryleonard2000
08-15-2011, 07:04 PM
Thanks to all for the advice, gonna go the sacs route.

terryleonard2000
08-15-2011, 07:15 PM
are you using a tsumi (sp) pump? I have heard they are pretty fast for filling and dumping. I like your set up suggestions, I am leaning toward a 750 sac in the center ski locker and an 1100 sac on the right rear beside the v-drive. I really can't afford to give up much more room than that with my 3 boys and all their boards. Whats your opinion on the 750 in the center versus the 370 center and 250 front right you have?

rc5695
08-16-2011, 11:56 AM
are you using a tsumi (sp) pump? I have heard they are pretty fast for filling and dumping. I like your set up suggestions, I am leaning toward a 750 sac in the center ski locker and an 1100 sac on the right rear beside the v-drive. I really can't afford to give up much more room than that with my 3 boys and all their boards. Whats your opinion on the 750 in the center versus the 370 center and 250 front right you have?
No, mine take forever to fill with a single Rule filling all of them. it was already on the boat and have other upgrades that i want to do first...

I'm going to try to ditch the 370 in the locker and go for a 750. I'm not sure if it'll be too much weight up front for surfing though....I think it'll help wakeboarding, but again, not sure about surfing. Can't hurt to have a bigger one and partially fill it though. Still need the 250 on the right up front to try weighing down the right side of the boat. You can try the 1100 in the right rear, but I dont' think it'll fit. the 750 fills the space perfect. i dunno if it is ouir hull or what, but it seems like i really need a LOT of weight on just the right side.

You really oughtta jump on the 2 750# bags in the classifieds for $200+shipping from mmandaley! I wish I had the cash. Also if you hurry, you can get other stuff you need in the group buy! 25% off is HUGE!

As for space concerns, my 8th child is on the way, so i know all about a packed boat 100% of the time ;)

bergermaister
08-16-2011, 12:14 PM
If you guys have the basement (belly) storage under the walkway up to the front playpen like I do the 750 fits in there beautifully and will fill 99% full. Also I don't think that is too much weight. I've ran around with the 750 in the basement filled, even pulled tubers with it still full, no issues. Having that full plus another 400+ up front or 2-3 passengers up there and you're getting into the light dunking of the front end territory.

I was disappointed with the wave from a 750 in the rear locker. The 1100 made a huge difference IMO. Catch is my lockers, and I'm guessing yours too, measure around 42-44" long and both the 750 and 1100 are 50" long so they'll have to bunch up on the ends. Especially if your battery/batteries are still back there.

My alternative idea for a faster fill and drain setup without going the fully auto, multiple pump setup was to go with 2 of the Tsunami 1200 handheld pumps. For filling the 1100 on the surf side, hook up both pumps to the top ports of the bag. You may have to stop one and do some venting along the way but that should fill and drain quick! Or you could run one handheld to drain the 750 while the other is working on the 1100, etc. You get the idea.

You can buy the handheld T1200s ready to go for $99 or if you were willing to add your own plumbing and 12v plugs/wiring you could probably put two together for around $120.

rc5695
08-16-2011, 12:23 PM
thanks for the info berg.

I've measured the center and yes, the 750 would fit perfect there. The ~1100# Gravity Games bag would fit even more perfect, but to me isn't worth the $300 :( Still watching for a used one...

our rear lockers are plenty long for the 50" bag. It is the height and width that kills it. My width is about 22" towards the top and about 20" at the bottom, and the height under the gunwhale is 20". the 750# is 50x20x20, and really does fit perfect. It sits on top of my battery but doesn't hurt anything since i have the battery cover on it. I think the 1100# bag for the rear is 50x24x24, so it can't fill much over the 750 bag anyways...

bergermaister
08-16-2011, 12:48 PM
Yup - and that battery or batteries are adding some weight for ya too! I'm in the same camp as you on that gravity games bag for the front. Saw one on eBay a while back and should have jumped on it but oh well.

I think after this season is over and before next season begins I'm going to inquire about getting custom sized bags made for my rear lockers and sell off my 1100's to offset the cost. By my rough calcs the custom bags would be right around 900lbs filled to capacity, where as now my 1100's don't get quite full all the way anyway and I have to worry about the bunching up, etc. sometimes.

A few weekends ago I wasn't paying attention filling my 1100 and it got so full that it was almost ready to burst, pushing up on the engine cover, pushing hard against the engine wall, etc. For some reason it didn't overflow out the vent line like it should have and was apparently pushing so hard on my drain line that it wouldn't drain either! We decided to just leave it until we were done with our surfset. Got done and opened the compartment to find it had drained about 1/3 down. I think it had so much pressure on it that maybe it pushed back through the drain pump? Don't know for sure but it is working again now and I definitely learned to keep an eye on it!