PDA

View Full Version : Oil Filter

Hootreville
08-13-2011, 05:34 PM
I have a 2005 outback with a carb indmar assault. Going to change the oil Monday and I was curious what you guys use for oil filters. My friend just goes to the local autozone and finds one for that year motor and uses that. The owners manual doesn't say it just tells me the type of oil. I have bought whatever they sold me at the dealer in the past, or just had them do it if I was having other work done, but they charge an outrageous amount just to change oil. What do most of you do???

teamctl
08-13-2011, 05:50 PM
We use a FRAM PH30 oil filter and Pennzoil 15w40 oil. We change our oil pretty often since we ride with alot of ballast and and probably more people than we should. We've been changing oil every 25-30 hours or every 3 months. We've used other oil filters in the past and I believe the list of filters is searchable on the forum. The manual I believe recommends the Pennzoil Filter (all Pennzoil fluids as well).

wolfeman131
08-13-2011, 09:15 PM
Same here, but I use the Rotella oil. Easy to find both at WallyWorld.

jmb
08-13-2011, 09:17 PM
I use the Pennzoil 15W-40 and the AC Delco 1218 Oil Filter

Suprahunter
08-13-2011, 10:29 PM
Fram oil filters are rated very poorly. I use Mobil 1 15w50 and either a Mobil 1 or K&M oil filter.

bkearney
08-14-2011, 01:08 PM
How do you change the filter without getting oil all over the inside of the boat?

wolfeman131
08-14-2011, 01:11 PM
Put an old plastic bag (usually the one you bring the oil & filter home in) around it as you twist it off.

NCSUmoomba
08-14-2011, 02:43 PM
Call me crazy, but I use exactly what the owners manual recommends, which is a penzoil pz3 filter and penzoil marine 15w40. They stock it at the local MC dealer.

jmb
08-14-2011, 06:20 PM
I couldn't find the Penzoil Filter. It came with the AC Delco on it. Only had .5 hours on it when I bought it

Hootreville
08-14-2011, 07:50 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys. I couldn't sleep this morning so I did it then. In doing some research all of the filters listed above are a cross reference to the pz3 that NCSU moomba is talking about. They are difficult to find but any suitable sub should work the same. I have had mine serviced at a Mastercraft dealer, and they used a generic filter that had the MC logo on it a while back. As far as the Penzoil marine, it seems to have some additives that a regular 15w40 does not but I'm not convinced that if you change your oil regularly it will make any difference. I would be hard to prove either way. Any way sorry for the rant, thanks again for all of your help. This forum is a great resource for anything moomba related!!!!!!

wolfeman131
08-14-2011, 10:00 PM
Fram oil filters are rated very poorly. I use Mobil 1 15w50 and either a Mobil 1 or K&M oil filter.

Did some internet surfin' and found where some folks had cut open different filters and the Fram filters were the only ones that had cardboard "caps" that held the filter material while other major brands had metal ones. So, no more Fram for me. The Mobil 1 filters had the least amount of filtering material - don't really know if that , really translates to being worse but the author did. Wix rated the best along with Purolator in this one review.