PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Stock Ballast?

walb0244
08-13-2011, 04:26 PM
Hey guys I'm trying to figure out what size bag is in the ski locker in my boat. It's a 2006 Moomba Mobius. I'm not sure what size the bag is. I was under the impression that my rear bags were 400s by reading on here but found out the other day that they were only 250s. I'm trying to get a idea of how much weight is in the front bag and if it will work for surfing with a 1100 bag in the rear ski locker. With the group buy going on I want to upgrade but worried that if I do the 1100s in the rear I want have enough weight in the front of the boat for them. Thought about moving the stock 250s up there but didn't know how much weight that would be in the front.

mnpracing
08-14-2011, 01:48 AM
On one of the ends of the bag, there should be a series of numbers. I think the last 6 numbers are Length / Width / Height. Then just do the math to calculate pounds. My last 6 numbers are 101670 so it's 10" X 16" X 70", or roughly 400 pounds.

cab13367
08-15-2011, 04:02 PM
Stock from the factory, the GIII ballast in 2006 came with a 10x16x70, 400 lb bag (and I think it's the same for all future years of the LSV). You should be able to run an 1100 in the rear locker and the 400 in the ski locker for surfing, no problem but the surf wake will tend to be taller with a shorter pocket. Adding more weight to the front will elongate the pocket but make the wave shorter.

I personally run the 750 in the rear and 400 in the front with about 200 or so in the opposite locker and there is plenty of wave to surf. If you can't surf with this set up, then you may be using too small a board or your technique is incorrect - it's not because the wave is too small. I have lots of newbies that can freesurf after two or three times out on this set up with a 5'-3" CWB Ride board, and some of them are approaching 200 lbs. In fact, lighter newbies (women mostly) find the wave is too big and have a hard time staying in the pocket. And I have freesurfed behind by LSV with no ballast at all and just my wife and two kids on board.

So unless you are over 200-225 lbs, I really think 750 in the rear and 400 in the ski locker is sufficient for recreation surfing. Now if wakesurfing is your thing and you aspire to get huge air or do other advanced tricks, then you will probably want to go with as much ballast as you can possibly get.

That's my two cents anyway.

Al

walb0244
08-24-2011, 07:08 PM
You guys are right. My bag is the 400lb bag. Is that the biggest bag that will fit in the basement? I thought I read on here some people are running a 1100 bag in the locker but I didn't see how they are doing it.

I know that wakemakers sells a bag that is
Size: 88"L x 19"W x 19"H
Capacity: 1,180lbs.

But I didn't know if 88" long bag will fit or not. Just was curious. I know some people do the IBS bag but I figure if you can fit another 600 in the ski locker then no point to loose all the storage up front. Was just curious. Any input is helpful.

c.rix
08-24-2011, 09:09 PM
that bag wont fit in your locker full

If it was a big deal you could do a custom bag the was 24 x 10 x the longest you could fit who know maybe more than the 88"

then you wouldn't lose any storage and it would all be under the floor

but If and a big If you did that bag 24" x 10" x 88" would be ~ 760 lbs

but custom bags are pricey i bet

walb0244
08-24-2011, 10:23 PM
So they have that listed on wakemakers:

http://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-gravity-games-center-sac.html

"Enhance both your wakeboard and wakesurf wake with a flip of your factory ballast switch; the Fly High Pro X Series Gravity Games Center Sac ballast bag is designed as a direct replacement for the center wakeboard ballast bag that came with your Supra or Moomba wakeboard boat. Measuring in at a full 38 inches longer, this wakeboard ballast bag will add over 500lbs. of weight up front to help bring the nose down and give you a more rampy wake. If you don't have a Supra or Moomba, the Fly High Pro X Series Gravity Games Center Sac will still work perfectly, if you have enough room for it, just be careful because it's massive!"

So what Moombas does this thing fit in?

c.rix
08-24-2011, 11:01 PM
basically the xlv / moombas with playpen seating

and supras with playpen seating which is most of them

walb0244
08-24-2011, 11:02 PM
Why would the playpen change the ballast size in the ski locker? Under there playpens they still have a floor just like we do I thought.

c.rix
08-24-2011, 11:13 PM
https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?15399-Clean-Slate-Ballast-Installation-Project-T-1200-pumps-all-1-quot-lines/page2

scroll down and look at the difference in depth its at least twice as deep as my obv ski locker