PDA

View Full Version : Prop Pull without Puller

squeeg333
08-13-2011, 12:20 AM
Okay guys, so stupid question, but the guy I usually borrow a prop puller has been on vacation. I just got my new ACME 1847 on the group buy deal, and am wanting to use it Sunday when we hit the lake. So, I am looking for innovative ways to pull a prop without a puller. I heated it a little this evening to try to get it off, and no dice. I plan to put some more effort and heat into it tomorrow, but am curious if there is a certain c clamp that works well or something to that effect. Anything would be solid. If I can't use the new prop, it's alright, but we won't be boating for at least a month after sunday as our first born is set to show up soon - so I don't want to have it happen on the boat.

Anyway, if anyone has ideas, please let me know!!

bbyquist
08-13-2011, 01:08 AM
Hey squeeg, where you boating on Sunday? I've got a prop puller, I'll PM you.

Hoopskier
08-13-2011, 05:09 AM
I swapped props on my boat recently. I used a plastic head dead blow hammer. Took a few hits with moderate force but it popped off without any damage. I was also striking the hub, not the tips of the blades. This method may not be for the light hearted but it worked for me. I also put a little grease on the shaft before putting a prop back on to ease prop changes.

I certainly would have used a prop puller if I had access to one.

loudsubz
08-13-2011, 10:41 AM
Could you not rent some sort of puller at an automotive store?

Martin Jr
08-13-2011, 01:18 PM
If I didn't have a prop puller, I'd be getting me a big c-clamp from Home Depot

Hootreville
08-13-2011, 05:07 PM
I have one now, but in the past have used a rubber mallet, not on the blades as mentioned above. Not sure how "stuck" it is. When I dinged mine a few weeks ago getting it off would have been a pain without one.