PDA

View Full Version : surfing when it's really rough out????

saskyrider
08-12-2011, 10:46 AM
so last night we had a a storm roll through just before supper then the wind died right out and sun came out... so we loaded up and headed down to the lake which is 20 minutes away... get there and .... wind is up and running down the length of the lake... our lake is narrow and long. We put in anyways cause i wanted to monkey around with my ballast some. So after getting my problem with the ballast figured out (airlocked pump) i thought we might as well give it a try. I was pleasantly surprised that with 6 people in the boat and only my 750 surf side filled up as long as i went with the waves surfing was good. we didn't have anyone in the bow either because it was cool out.... which made me a lot more comfortable driving around with all the waves... wasn't worried about taking water over the bow. also got 2 new people up on the surfboard for the first time. all in all what i thought was going to be a crappy experience turned out pretty damn good. water felt really warm to cause of the cool wind.

kaneboats
08-12-2011, 11:13 AM
I've found I can't keep the pocket when it's like that out unless I go with the the wind. Into the wind, no chance. Way to make the best of it though.

saskyrider
08-12-2011, 11:30 AM
ya going against the waves was a def. no go!

moombadaze
08-12-2011, 05:48 PM
Same for me-cant surf into the wind

saskyrider
08-12-2011, 06:24 PM
I make sure not to pee into the wind either... better to go with the flow so to speak.. haha

mmandley
08-12-2011, 08:43 PM
I make sure not to pee into the wind either... better to go with the flow so to speak.. haha

HAHA dam funny

This is what we do when the weather isnt being nice or there is a lot of boats out. I too noticed going with the wind helps the surfer a lot, also keeps the spray off the observers. I have noticed though if you get to much chop or to many rollers from other boats even surfing is hard. The boat starts to bounce and this translated to weak spots in the surf wave and eighter the board dunks, or you get a high spot and bucked right off the board. Wind with no white caps is good and small rollers are ok.

Inliner
08-13-2011, 07:04 AM
I ride on a LARGE lake chain (my lake is 16,000 acres plus) and have the same issue. Wind travels so I surf with the wind. Into the wind the board bounces too much. I can ride it, but as already stated, staying in the pocket is tough in those conditions.

saskyrider
08-15-2011, 10:28 AM
we are lucky on our lake... our regional park is the only thing on the north end of the lake.. it's 60 miles long so when i go about a mile south of the park we pretty much have the lake to ourselves no matter what time of year it is.... and this year even more so with the water so high there was no boat launch we just had to back in off the end of the street in the campground... so most people didn't even put in this year. So as long as the wind isn't straight out of the east were laughing..