PDA

View Full Version : prop problems

Zihuatanejo
04-24-2005, 06:22 PM
well guys it was my first time out in my new 05 outback I made a rookie mistake and hit a patch of small rocks I have to get the prop retooled and there are some dings on the bottom of the boat should I be worried about the dings on the boat or not?

BensonWdby
04-24-2005, 10:42 PM
If there is no change in the color, then you may be OK. I would have a pro take a look.
Perhaps the bigger concern is the strut. Last year I hit something with the prop and it bent my strut. This increased the lean in an already leaky jam nut. I have not had it back in the water since repairs. We will see if things are really fixed.
Dave

Brian Raymond
04-24-2005, 11:11 PM
Great advice. I would take the boat back to your dealer, and have them inspect everything. There may be little damage that may occur. Like previosly stated, it can lead to inproper shaft gland wear, strut bushing wear, and vibration felt to poor alignment, this can lead to early tranny. burn-out. If there is raw glass visible through the gelcoat, it will need to be repaired. Get the prop. reconditioned, and, if you want, order a spare prop. and tool kit, so if by chance, this should happen again, you are not out for the weekend. Brian Raymond

sextons
04-25-2005, 08:19 AM
zihuatanejo,
Sorry to hear about the boat, hopefully everything will check out ok.

We you out on Prior Lake Sunday, my wife said there was an orange Moomba in Candy Cove, was that you guys? Did you hit the rocks on Prior and if so where, the lake is still down a good 8-10" from where it should be.

Zihuatanejo
04-25-2005, 08:41 AM
Sextons yes I was out on prior on sunday and in candy cove.I hit a pile of small rocks at the boat landing I put in on the left side of the ramp and it was fine but we took out on the right side and thats where I hit the rocks.

sextons
04-25-2005, 01:12 PM
I almost did the same thing last year but there was a guy at the landing who had put his Gekko in a few days earlier and chipped up his prop pretty good so he helped push me out over the rocks before I got underway.

qb12
04-25-2005, 01:39 PM
question i have is can a couple of nicks on the prop lead to the boat leaning to the right when going underway.

thanks.

jburnside
04-25-2005, 04:35 PM
qb12,
I doubt that a couple of nicks will cause the boat to list to one side. If you have never owned a tournament boat before you will notice rather quickly that these boats (all inboards) are very finicky about weight placement. I can notice a big difference just by asking my crew to sit in different locations in the boat. Some people take along some extra weight in the form of lead bars or weight plates to re-distribute around the boat to even everything out. Good luck, carry an extra prop and changing kit with you at all times.

qb12
04-25-2005, 04:48 PM
thanks jburnside. yes this is my first inboard boat, but i am getting the hang of it pretty good.

went out sunday and son did a little wakeboarding.

BensonWdby
04-25-2005, 11:18 PM
If you want to have someone take a look at your boat, try Jim at Ski Boat Solutions. He is out of St. Bonifacious and makes house calls (especially for winterizing, but probably for strut/gland work as well)
Email = jgountanis @ msn.com (leave out spaces around @, spam control)
phone = 612-280-4545

He is the guy I have been using. Seems to know what he is doing.

Can't believe you guys were out this weekend. Cold North Wind was awful and temps in 50's?

Maybe next weekend for me ...
Dave