PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Moomba

Whiskey
08-11-2011, 11:32 PM
I just bought a used 2003 Moomba outback lsv. Can some one tell me why there are 2 mph gauges and why I can adjust the speed on them? How the hell do I know how fast the boat is actually going? Thanks and I hope this isn't a stupid question!

flex
08-11-2011, 11:50 PM
i'm not sure why there would be two but i'm sure someone on here will be able to tell you. next time you go out on the water, bring a hand held gps with you to calibrate your speed.

bergermaister
08-12-2011, 12:47 AM
Mine has 2 as well. I never understood either - if I recall it's from the old days of slalom skiing where they used to have a pickup tube on either side of the transom - one for each speedo to try to get a more accurate speed. And yes, I have had to adjust them both with a GPS every time I went out. Every time you wipe down the dash, oops changed one.

Ok, mine HAD 2 until just recently. Now a really shiny and purty PerfectPass Stargazer has taken the place of one of them! :cool:

volfo
08-12-2011, 10:23 AM
Probably because it's an AWSA approved ski hull and the boat is identical to the direct drive Outback LS. I believe all AWSA approved boats had to have two speedos. You used to calibrate them by holding a stop watch and running through the ski course. You have two in case one fails or gets knocked off mid run. I find both of mine work about 85% of the time, but about 15% of the time, one starts acting screwy. You can always rely on the other one. Redundancy.

I'd love to have PP, but without it, two speedos works for us. I'm not really absolutely sure that I'm going 23 when I wakeboard, but I know that when my speedo says 23, that's where I like to wakeboard. If I actually gps'd it, I would not be surprised at all to see that I was really going 21 or 21.5 or 22, but why bother? It doesn't matter. It works for me.

Kidder522
08-12-2011, 02:06 PM
Hey Whiskey,

Mine has the two speedos as well and with the other posts, it has to do with the towing of competition water skiing. To calibrate mine, I took my GPS out with me and set the speed. Did the job, but one brush against the dial, it can set it to a different speed.

iwaterskihard
08-24-2011, 11:52 AM
And to think all this time I thought one was for the left eye and the other for the right eye???? LMAO
Yes it's all because the boats were designed for competition skiing.