PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Pass Problems

hgvandy
08-10-2011, 07:46 PM
Guys,
My perfect pass has worked flawlessly on my 2006 LSV, but now it reads 0mph along with my speedometer on the boat. PP still works in RPM mode, but I would like to have a MPH reading. I called PP and they said it is my paddle wheel. I checked all connections, reset system, checked servo motor. I also took out my paddle wheel and made sure there is nothing blocking it. The paddle wheel spins with ease and I can not find the issue. Once in a while, my PP will show an MPH reading, but it is usually not correct. I am wondering if there is a short somewhere, but now I am thinking of upgrading to a Nautic Laugic GPS unit that hooks up to the PP. Has anyone else had this issue?

coley
08-21-2011, 03:10 PM
Im having the same problem on my 08 LSV, any help would be good.

deafgoose
08-21-2011, 03:34 PM
Reset the system. That worked for me.

hgvandy
08-21-2011, 04:58 PM
I have a feeling the wire on the perfect pass to the paddle wheel is faulty, but I can not find any kinks or areas that look bad. I am wondering about the wire where it goes into the paddle wheel. When I pull the paddle wheel out, the wire that connects to it does not look accessible. Any other ideas?

hgvandy
08-23-2011, 08:33 AM
Now I have reset the Perfect Pass and still no luck. I followed the wire from the paddle wheel to the PP unit under the dash and found it connected to a Deutsh DTM04-6P which looks suspect. I tried cleaning with WD40, but there is still some gree corrosion in the plug. The pins look clean, but what else should I use to clean this connector. The pins are metal, but it is surrounded by plastic.

saskie99
08-23-2011, 12:21 PM
i have an 05 lsv with the same problem, I have never been able to get the mph right. Mine is hooked into my regular speedo then to my pp. My regular speedo works perfect, I cant figure it out.

louisiana21v
08-24-2011, 04:01 PM
I had a similar problem this year on my 05 Supra. If your paddle wheel unit is like mine there is a bundle of wires coming out of it. About 6 inches from the unit is a big plug. Unplug it and make sure all the wire prongs are fully extended. I noticed one was shor
ter than the others. It had been pulled loose somehow. I grabbed it with some needle nose and pulled till it clicked into place. Fixed everything.

LyndonH Dubai
08-25-2011, 03:50 AM
with sounding too stupid, where is the paddle wheel located? my boat is currently in the workshop and they are trying to check perfect pass for me. i did the servo motor test and it self tightens, but when the display kicks init says not enough cable or puts the hash symbol up on the display. im just thinking of when it comes and they cannot fix it what I can look at to solve the issue myself. i have never had it working on my boat but I am now determined to get it sorted and working properly. I may be back asking more questions soon! cheers!

hgvandy
08-26-2011, 12:30 PM
Paddle wheel is under the boat. If you crawl up under the boat, it will usuall be close to transmission. It will spin when you flick it with your finger. I am so tempted to upgrade to the gps model. I got a quote of $100 to get a new paddle wheel or I may get the Nautic Laugic GPS that replaces the paddle wheel for $250.

LyndonH Dubai
08-28-2011, 12:42 AM
hello mate
thanks for getting back to me
i havent look at the paddle wheel yet but will do so
can you explain about the GPS one? how will that work?
it is just a new paddle wheel then and easy to install?
im hoping they will get it working this week?
i keep on looking at the stargazer GPS prefect pass etc, but just think its a lot of money if my base system currently isnt working, but see how it goes this week so I can get the whole system working etc
any more advice from anyone would be highly appreciated.
cant wait to get my boat back now and back on the water!

hgvandy
08-28-2011, 04:48 PM
For my PP they have a couple of options to upgrade to GPS. Everything stays the same in the boat, but you can install a unit that plugs into the PP under the dash that uses GPS. Your paddle wheel can stay where it is, but it is no longer plugged into anything.
If you decide to replace the paddle wheel, it is very easy to unplug and pull out of the hull from inside the boat. You can just plug in the new one and screw it in. I have decided to use RPM mode for the rest of the season and upgrade to GPS unit. For my boat, the StarGazer GPS upgrade would cost around $500, but the Nautic Laugic is around $250. Everything I have read on both systems have been very positive. Good luck!