PDA

View Full Version : Dirty starter - replacement brushes?

WolfpackRider
08-09-2011, 08:15 PM
I was going to post this in another thread, but I can't find it with the new search problems.

I had my first no-go at the lake a few weeks ago. It acted like a weak battery - I'd get a click and just a very small bit of turn from the starter - not even enough to get a full turnover of the engine. I tried jumping it and also tried my truck's battery to no avail.

I saw a thread on here around that time that mentioned getting a corroded starter if there had ever been enough water in the bilge to get it wet, which I did have happen a month or so ago.

I pulled the starter and opened it up. It wasn't corroded, but wow, that thing was crazy dirty inside. After liberal amounts of spraying with electrical cleaner, I got it pretty well cleaned up and had a successful bench test with it. I put it back in, and the boat started right up.

One thing I found in it besides it being very dirty was pretty worn out brushes on the positive terminal. The ones on the negative terminal were fine. Any idea if the brushes can be replaced? Or maybe both the brushes and the end part they are connected to?

mmandley
08-09-2011, 08:53 PM
Id look into calling a Electrical Motor Replacement shop. You will need the type of starter and brand possible they can then reference the parts and get you the burshes. Or possible it might be better to look into a rebuild kit if your savey with that type of thing.