PDA

View Full Version : What would cause this to happen?

bruiselee
08-09-2011, 01:17 PM
I tried searching, but the search tool seems to not be working.

Something caused the inside plate or shielding to bend and something was grinding on the starter as shown in the images below. Also it appears some kind of spring got chopped up. I didn't hear any type of loud metal to metal grinding sound nor any loud sound at all when the boat stopped working. The boat just died and we couldn't get it starting again.

flywheel assembly:
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6078/6026395536_3f606566f0_b.jpg

starter and spring:
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6062/6026390592_25d3a7531c_b.jpg

starter grinded up
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6083/6025833951_f360ae1cd4_b.jpg

The starter sounds like it turns, but obviously the boat doesn't work. I'll probably replace the starter for peace of mind (and it appears the shaft in it could pop out now), but anyone know what would cause this or why this would happen?

Sharpie647
08-09-2011, 02:11 PM
I believe your damper plate has a few springs so my guess is one of the springs broke and got jammed up in there. You can look on skidim.com and see some pics of a damper plate to see what might of happened

bruiselee
08-09-2011, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. It does look like one or more than one spring broke. What would cause it to break? Anyone have any experience with this problem and a possible solution?

mmandley
08-09-2011, 08:48 PM
My thought is the spring you see is the Return spring off the starter. It pushes the gear away from the flywheel once you stop trying to start the boat. Id have to say the spring broke, eighter age or possible trying to start the boat while it was running. The broken spring then got caught in the gear and caused all the damage. As you can see the starter case is busted and that is what i think caused the rest of the damage.

As for the fly wheel, its a solid plate, with holes drilled in it to lighten it up, there are only springs in manual clutches.

You should be able to bend the metal away from the flywheel teeth. As for the other section bent i cant tell what that is, if its a mount bolt hole for the starter or just metal sheilding. If its only metal shielding you can bend it back in place and be done with it. If thats a starter mounting bolt then you will need to replace that section which will require the trans to be seperated from your engine.

As for after the repairs pull all the spark plugs, then put a socket and large breaker bar or ratchet < depending how strong you are > on the bolt in the harmonic balancer and manual rotate your engine. Mark the flywheel with chaulk or something to reference it and sping the engine till you see the chaulk make a 360 so you know there is nothing caught. Then you can bolt the starter up use the starter to rotate the engine. Then if everything still sounds normal install your plugs and start her for real.

rc5695
08-10-2011, 09:40 AM
My thought is the spring you see is the Return spring off the starter. It pushes the gear away from the flywheel once you stop trying to start the boat. Id have to say the spring broke, eighter age or possible trying to start the boat while it was running. The broken spring then got caught in the gear and caused all the damage. As you can see the starter case is busted and that is what i think caused the rest of the damage.

As for the fly wheel, its a solid plate, with holes drilled in it to lighten it up, there are only springs in manual clutches.

You should be able to bend the metal away from the flywheel teeth. As for the other section bent i cant tell what that is, if its a mount bolt hole for the starter or just metal sheilding. If its only metal shielding you can bend it back in place and be done with it. If thats a starter mounting bolt then you will need to replace that section which will require the trans to be seperated from your engine.

As for after the repairs pull all the spark plugs, then put a socket and large breaker bar or ratchet < depending how strong you are > on the bolt in the harmonic balancer and manual rotate your engine. Mark the flywheel with chaulk or something to reference it and spin the engine till you see the chaulk make a 360 so you know there is nothing caught. Then you can bolt the starter up use the starter to rotate the engine. Then if everything still sounds normal install your plugs and start her for real.
Yup, what he said ^ Just make sure to get any left-over metal shavings out of there too.

bruiselee
08-15-2011, 03:57 PM
Thank you for the response mmandly. It appears the springs are from the damper plate and I've read that Indmar went with an upgraded/sturdier damper plate for newer models. I will definitely have to replace the starter and will try to do all of the steps you suggested. Thanks again guys for all your help!

bruiselee
08-25-2011, 10:11 PM
I am planning on ordering a new damper plate and a new starter. Can anyone confirm if I am ordering the right parts? I have a 2005 Moomba Mobius LSV with the 310 hp Carburetor engine. It's an Indmar engine, but I don't know the exact model number and the user's manual doesn't give much insight from what I could see.

For the damper plate, I am electing to go with a sturdier version compared to the one that came with the boat since the original failed. This is what I'm looking at:

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=R140019

As for the new starter, I'm looking at: http://www.dbelectrical.com/p-2234-new-starter-omc-marine-inboard-3860566-delco-9000884-sdr0253-6792.aspx

Can anyone confirm these are the right parts for my boat? I tried searching but after the website overhaul, the search function doesn't work very well. If possible let me know your opinion about the prices for these parts as well. :)

Thanks in advance!