PDA

View Full Version : Run to Failure

zabooda
08-09-2011, 10:55 AM
I had my first issue with my boat since I bought it in 2002. I was on vacation when the engine water pump bearing started to fail so I decided to continue to run the boat as long as I could and then put it away for the rest of the week. The pump worked until the next to last day and the pulley disintegrated and dropped to the bilge. I was around the corner from the cove to which the other boat was at so I flagged down some jetskiers to let my friends know and got towed to the beach. I turned the boat into a floating sound system not concerned about running down the battery and at the end of the day a friend at camp brought the trailer to a launch a 1/4 mile away. It is interesting when a planned failure works out.

It took a bit of researching to get the pulley as it is discontinued and the pump is a standard automotive part. When I first heard it failing, I thought it was the tranny as it sounded like metal to metal.

kaneboats
08-09-2011, 11:29 AM
Sorry it had to happen on vacation. I'm glad it worked out in a not too bad way and you were able to make the best of it. On the bright side, that's a lot of years with no issues at all. I'm sure you'll see many more when you get her back together.

zabooda
08-09-2011, 12:32 PM
I had a problem with the fuel pump getting primed after I de-winterized it so I bought a replacement to take on the trip and never had to replace it. I have to carry more spare parts now but I think it is uncommon for the engine water pump to fail. The water temperature was running normal when the pump bearing was failing and there was no water leak like on a car so I thought I could run it until the noise went away and it did.