PDA

View Full Version : Something sharp under rear seat vinyl?

pmoomba
07-28-2011, 12:08 PM
I somehow just started noticing this, maybe I just never stepped in this area before. If I step on the rear seat on my 06 OBV (the one you move to get to the v-drive), in the back corners of either side, there's something sharp underneath that's poked my feet. Nothing serious yet and hasn't poked anything in the vinyl. I have to step with the ball of my foot to get deep enough but I've done it a couple times already without trying.

I'm not sure if they've always been there, or are just now feeling them as a result of cushioning breaking down, etc. Anyone know what I'm talking about and is there anything I can do other than bringing it to a vinyl/upholstery place for them to open up and fix?

In the mean time I just step in other places getting to the back of the boat but don't want to have someone new accidentally step in the wrong place and either hurt their foot or puncture the vinyl.

phospher
07-28-2011, 12:45 PM
It's the screws. A lot of us have had this problem including me in my 08 Outback. I cut the screws shorter and put them back in but the HDP stripped out. I then used glue to keep them in there. So far so good but really a bad design. That is one of the few complaints I have about my boat. Actually, the screws and the wobbly swim platform would be my only 2 complaints about my boat.

pmoomba
07-28-2011, 12:58 PM
I figured as much but didn't look underneath it yet. So I should be able to just take these out and either cut them down, or replace with some shorter screws? I'll take a look when I get a chance.

harmsway
07-28-2011, 02:03 PM
my son always seemed to find them when he stepped on the rear seat. We used a couple of stainless flat washers and they worked great. Problem was fixed.

KCMobius
07-28-2011, 03:27 PM
Yes,

I have holes now where they came through the back seat and it hurts!

I also noticed and cut the screws down in my ski locker. I have a gravity I system and when I looked into the locker area there were these large screws that would puncture the ballast bag. So I cut about 1" off of each of these screws (I think 6 or 8 total) and put them back. Just not a good design, guess they used the screws they had in stock instead of using the correct length.

pmoomba
07-28-2011, 04:35 PM
I just unscrewed them a few turns and they were still in place while seemed to help the issue of them poking through. If they pass the test next time I get out on the water I'll probably just leave it like that.

DOCDRS
07-28-2011, 05:02 PM
I would unscrew them and cut an 1/8 to 1/4 inch off