PDA

View Full Version : bought a new board today

Brianinpdx
07-28-2011, 02:16 AM
So as you guys all know... I've been going back to my surfing roots and learning this wake surfing stuff. so anyway, in the last couple of weeks I've been out with

Al's Moomba LSV
a Malibu VLX
a Supra SSV
a MasterCraft Xstar
and a Malibu VTX

It's been interesting to really see the different waves, the push and the lengths from each.

Yesterday I had the opportunity to ride a 5ft XXX slasher board and I was so blown away that I hauled off and bought one from Bakes Marine. This board was amazingly fast and stable. It instantly wanted to be off the rope and roaming the distance of the wave. I'd recommend this to anyone that wants a great board!

-Brian

XXX (http://www.triplexsurfandskim.com/products#ecwid:)

New Guy
07-28-2011, 10:09 AM
Brian what is your build?

kaneboats
07-28-2011, 10:14 AM
Congrats on the board. Got me a cheapo composite TripleX board over the winter. It's my favorite board right now.

dusty2221
07-28-2011, 10:14 AM
Awesome man, keep us updated with pics!

brain_rinse
07-28-2011, 10:38 AM
Very cool! How about a quick rundown on your thoughts of the different waves from those boats?

cab13367
07-28-2011, 12:11 PM
Very cool! How about a quick rundown on your thoughts of the different waves from those boats?

I was thinking the same thing but I think it's going to be hard for Brian to provide objective feedback. For one, I bet he used a different board each time so that will definitely influence one's perception of the wave. For two, each boat would have been set up differently as far as amount of ballast, people, water conditions, etc.

But I would still be interested to hear Brian's thoughts. And don't worry Brian, you won't hurt my feelings one bit so be honest!

BTW, I'm looking forward to trying out your new ride!

Al

Brianinpdx
07-28-2011, 01:27 PM
New Guy - I'm 5.11 / 190 lbs. I've noticed that a lot of the larger guys also like this board because its so stable that it can carry their weight well. I was out with a guy that was 6ft 230 big dude and he tore up the wave.

re: boats & waves. Yes, Al has good points. It's only fair to make some general observations because all the boats and boards are different. First and foremost I'll say that my favorite crew is the Moomba guys from this board. In my professional capacity I know guys on every board. You guys are all great people!

As for the boats, generally speaking the Malibu's tend to be a longer wave with a ton of push. The 23LSV is wow. This is probably because of the displacement of the larger boat. I have yet to ride a centurian but will be doing so this weekend at the surf event in seattle. I suspect it will be similar. Al's lsv and Mikes waves had very different attributes even from the same boat. Mike hadnt spent much time dialing it in when we rode (first of his season trip). The Supra's seem to be the steepest wave I've seen and reminded me of an ocean wave, but they tend not to be long like an ocean wave.

From my novice wakesurfer point of view, I tend to like waves that are the longest and have lots of push. From what I've seen so far the Moomba's are great. The Malibu's are really great. I think this also might be a prop spin thing as well. I'm goofy foot.

My bottom line is this: If you can get out on a boat to surf, go for it. It's tons of fun.

-Brian

ps: I'll be out in Wilsonville today surfin. Yea!!!!!!!!!!!!!