PDA

View Full Version : Steering Cable for '03 Outback LSV

04-18-2005, 10:52 PM
Does anyone know the length of steering cable I need for an '03 outback LSV? I've got 60 hrs on the boat, and I always keep it in the garage. Any idea why the cable would go bad?

04-18-2005, 10:56 PM
Nothing posted... Anyone know the steering cable length for an 03 outback LSV. And why with only 60 hrs it would have gone bad? I live on a hill so I always drain the bilge, always garage kept. Never left in the water overnight either.

04-18-2005, 11:02 PM
Anyone know the steering cable length for an 03 outback LSV. And why with only 60 hrs it would have gone bad? I live on a hill so I always drain the bilge, always garage kept. Never left in the water overnight either.

Lcky275
04-18-2005, 11:04 PM
Nothing posted and I don't think I was logged in correctly... Anyone know the steering cable length for an 03 outback LSV. And why with only 60 hrs it would have gone bad? I live on a hill so I always drain the bilge, always garage kept. Never left in the water overnight either.

MrAverage
04-20-2005, 06:10 PM
I had to have the steering cable on my '03 Mobius LSV replaced after about 140 hours (1 & 1/2 seasons). Steering became so hard my wife could barely turn the steering wheel.

The dealer called Skiers Choice and they said they wouldn't cover it - as the boat was past the 1 year warranty for non-engine & non-hull problems. I bitched to the dealer and as far as I know they covered the cost ($350) because I didn't pay a dime.

My boat is stored indoors and the bilge always drained after every use.

Two bad steering cables may be a coincidence, but if I see a 3rd I would suspect a quality problem.

MEDIC151
05-11-2005, 10:36 AM
I have an 02 Mobius DD that had the cable go bad after 2 seasons. After speaking with the dealership, I decided to change it myself. The dealership mechanic was very helpful in telling me how to do this and said that it was not that difficult to do, just a pain as you have to remove several sections of the floor to get to it. I pulled the old one with a rope attached to the rudder end so I could pull the new one back through. It was relatively easy with 2 people. I was told that the reason that they go bad is due to water migrating into the sheathing of the cable and corroding it. This was not an issue before due to the use of stainless steel cables, not the case any more.

I paid about 130.00 for a 18 ft cable, but the numbers on the side will tell you what length it is. I saved myself about 300.00 $ by doing this myself. I hope this helps. I think that the cable was a teleflex brand with a website that you can search the numbers on to find the length.

Medic

smokedog2
05-11-2005, 01:53 PM
I replaced one on my Lund Alaskan under warantee. This year it froze up (ice) and had to have a guy drive while I worked the throttle form the motor. We eventually got enough heat to losen it up.

Sounds like i have anothone in my future there.

oops not stearing - throttle.

SD2

madmax
07-16-2005, 03:47 PM
I have a 03 mobius LSV with only 80 hours and treat it like a baby in the winter and have the same problem...wife cannot turn the steering wheel. MrAverage: your problem was definately a defective cable? Hate to think I might have to put 350 into a brand ne boat with only 80 hours on it.

Bryan Raymond: Any service bullitens for Mobius LVS steering cable?

jperry
02-08-2006, 11:40 AM
Steering cable? Hell yes... 53 hours on my 2003 Outback, steering cable went to crap. I couldn't turn the wheel without using both hands. Warranty covered it. I think it was a quality issue being that they covered it under warranty this year. (Jan 06)

stang67
02-08-2006, 01:29 PM
After 200hours our 03 outback went out too. Steering became almost impossible. I hope they corrected this in their newer boats.

Buttafewcoe
02-08-2006, 03:04 PM
Be sure to be greasing the rudder zirk fitting (if applicable) and applying a coat of grease to the exposed ends of your cables. Extend the cable in one direction, apply grease, then extend the cable in the opposite direction and do the same.
Hope this helps
B

jperry
02-08-2006, 03:38 PM
I'll do that from now on!! Preventitive is always better than the ol preverbial OH SH**!!

Jim