PDA

View Full Version : Ballast problems

Jimlsv10
07-27-2011, 01:25 AM
New to forum. Just got my brand new 2010 lsv and love it but am having some issues with ballast. I have the gravity III.

Back right will not fill or empty and light on switch out so I am assuming a fuse, looked all over boat and can't find the fuse box.

Back left, the motor will run but will not fill. Do I need to re-prime the bag? It worked when we did the test at the lake and I didn't mess with it so ???

Center bag will fill but will only empty 3/4 of the way and always leaves some water in the bag! Is this normal?

All of them worked fine the first few times and emptied all the way.
Very clean water (lake Tahoe) so I don't think anything is plugged.

I blew my shoulder out for the season on the first trip out (very sad about that) so all I can do is surf, but not without ballast working. Any help would be great.

b66cf
07-27-2011, 08:24 AM
Fuses for the ballast are (at least on my 07 LSV) under the dash / steering wheel / gauges. In a small black fuse box, pretty clearly marked which fuse is for which pump - just not very easy to see unless you are laying in the footwell area.

Best way I have found to deal with any "not filling" issues is to start filling the ballast while driving the boat forward. Seems to help get some water into the pump and start the filling process.

Not sure on your center bag issue - haven't run into that problem yet.

11 Outback V
07-27-2011, 08:37 AM
There is a breaker for the pumps in the engine compartment. If it is tripped the pumps won't run but the switches will still light up.
As for the draining issue, ya it sucks. The pumps are actually on timers and will shut off after so long. All you can do is keep turning the pump on until it stops and then off and back on again until the bags are empty.
Hope that helps

Jimlsv10
07-27-2011, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the info, found the fuse box and one was blown. Filled the bags with garden hose and they empty fine. Will have to try them on the lake Sat. I went over a 9000 ft pass driving home and wonder if they got sort of air locked (when I opened the bags air actually sucked into them) Thanks again!!

DOCDRS
07-27-2011, 08:51 PM
Good to hear all is fine.......I have the same system on my 09.....the fill time is adjustable , the empty time is not on a timer but a current senser that when the pump is not pumping any water for 10 seconds it will auto shut off. The bags all have vents so no air lock should occur. If you want to suck the bag dry, cork the vent hole but not sure if this affects the auto off timer. The system (pump) should prime in 5 seconds or less and you should hear a noticeable difference in pump noise from pre primed to primed. A failing impeller may prime sporadically on fill. .02

A new boat may have spoiled impellers from being played with in a dry state !!!!

lsvboombox
07-27-2011, 09:04 PM
i put these on all my vent lines

http://www.wakemakers.com/check-valve-fitting-3-4-inch.html

they never fill with air when towing, completely get sucked dry without having to cork the thruhull and my pumps shut-off when the bags are empty

Jimlsv10
07-27-2011, 11:29 PM
Yes I have these valves on the two back bags, took them apart looking for the fuses....they were not in there!! Jet kidding.. So I wonder since they do suck the bags dry and went from 9000ft to 3000ft if the suction in the system would not allow the pumps to prime. The physics don't really make since but I am new to the fancy ballast systems. Any way going to try the moving forward thing and I have a few gallons in each bag, hoping it will prime this time. If not I have my 20 hr service in two weeks I'll have them check the impellers. Thanks again....