PDA

View Full Version : Engine alignment and OJ prop shaft seal

Boonejeepin
07-26-2011, 05:22 PM
Hello all!

I hit a log this weekend and bent my strut, shaft, and prop.

I live close to Elbert's in OR and I was able to pick up a new strut and he repaired my prop shaft. I am also having my prop repaired right now. The new strut and repaired prop shaft are back in place already.

There was no damage to the hull itself.

My question is related to engine alignment (prop shaft coupler and v-drive coupler).

I have a 2010 Moomba XLV with OJ's prop shaft seal. The body of the seal just floats in a rubber connector and I am wondering how accurately I would be able to complete the alignment since one of the "alignment points" is not fixed.

I have read the great posts about alignment but for some reason I can't seem to find the right position to reduce the gap to .002 all the way around the coupler. I am also paying attention to the thru hull fitting as to not allow contact between the shaft and the thru hull fitting.

Thanks for your advise. I am a newbie to inboards if you can't tell already.

DOCDRS
07-26-2011, 10:37 PM
Not sure what you are asking , but the shaft seal has nothing to do with alignment other than you want the seal housing floating neutral on the shaft. Alignment is strictly a propshaft: vdrive coupler alignment

Boonejeepin
07-27-2011, 09:51 AM
Thanks. That is the info I needed. I wanted to be sure that the lack of a fixed support of the seal had no effect on the alignment.