PDA

View Full Version : Axis A22

brain_rinse
07-25-2011, 03:57 PM
I looked at Axis when they first came out in 09 but went with my Moomba instead. With a couple of years gone by I thought it was time for another look. No, I didn't buy it this time either but I thought I'd share my rambling, subjective thoughts.

First off, no, I didn't water test it so if that nullifies my opinion in your mind stop reading now. :) I've ridden behind Malibus, Nautiques, MasterCrafts, Supras, etc and all have noticeably different wakes. But as an intermediate rider I have no issue adjusting my style to the wake and I've heard enough reviews and seen enough pictures to know the wake would be better than I'd ever need it to be. So on to my review of the boat itself...

The tower was rock solid and the rotating board racks were the best I've ever seen - simple and very effective. It made me realize how badly so many of the other spinning racks suck. I didn't like the textured finish of the tower or how difficult it was to fold down. When the salesman showed me how you unbolt and stow the rear legs I seriously thought they were joking. Z5 optional... very nice.

Drivers seat is very comfortable but ugly and I would not like to have that seat wrapped around me on hot days. It had the slide and swivel but neither worked. I'd throw it away and put in a vented Tige seat if it were my boat, 100% serious... Tige embroidering and all. :)

The glovebox lid has a stupid spring to support it and I just couldn't understand why they couldn't have used a 5 dollar piston support like everyone else, but an easy upgrade I suppose.

The entire boat had a finished fiberglass floor and snap out carpet in the cabin... PERFECT. My next boat will have this option, no question.

I still dont like the open seat bases. I want the stuff under the seat to stay under the seat and not creep out in the cabin and I certainly don't want to look at it. I did like that the storage was big and connected. No cooler but didn't care.

The cupholders were black plastic and loose. The 3 on the sunpad were a nice location though. Some new chrome ones (or black metal) and some epoxy would fix it up.

Pickle fork was very roomy and could easily fit 3 adults side by side across the front with the playpen setup. I really like this interior layout. There was no underseat storage up there. The pop up seat backs in the bow and by the observer seat were clunky but worked well once the seats were up.

I really liked the transom seat for putting on your board, and the swim platform was nice and big.

The manual/floating wedge wasn't too difficult to release but is also just another thing you have to mess with.

Stock ballast was all hidden hard tanks which is a huge plus, though I know I'd just end up putting bags on top so maybe this is a non-issue. :)

I didn't like the 2 piece sunpad much, but the warming tray over the engine was nice.

As for the looks which seem to be love it or hate it, I managed to fall in the middle. I think it's ugly/cute like a bulldog puppy.

What am I forgetting?

wolfeman131
07-25-2011, 04:08 PM
What am I forgetting?

Uh, how about that this is the Moomba forum and the last review of the Axis started a rage of near epic proportions?

brain_rinse
07-25-2011, 04:26 PM
Uh, how about that this is the Moomba forum and the last review of the Axis started a rage of near epic proportions?
Ha ha, ok valid point. But we're all adults and we've learned our lesson, right? :) I've spent a lot of time in an Xstar the last couple of months and will have some rambling thoughts on that one of these days.

07-25-2011, 04:30 PM
The fact of the matter is most people buy Moombas instead of Malibus or Mastercrafts because they are cheaper. Say what you want but we all know it's true.

For many years the Moombas were about the cheapest quality inboard wake/ski/surf boats around but now there are other options on the market that are in direct competition with Moombas and as an owner I am taking notice. If you don't ski and primarily wakeboard or surf (which is the whole point of these boats for some people like me), boats like the Axis are a viable option.

I too looked at them and am still on the fence a bit. We will see what happens in 5 days :)

mk_deuce
07-25-2011, 04:32 PM
After riding behind my brothers brand new A20 I can give you all the info you want if you are curious about how effortless it is to achieve the perfect wake. Telling people to move around to clean up the wake wash is unnecessary in this boat. PM me if you want further details.

brain_rinse
07-25-2011, 04:40 PM
For many years the Moombas were about the cheapest quality inboard wake/ski/surf boats around but now there are other options on the market that are in direct competition with Moombas and as an owner I am taking notice.
You mean the least expensive but still high quality inboard, right?

We will see what happens in 5 days :)
I'm also really looking forward to see what's coming. The new illusion tower with a forked bow would sure catch my interest!

jmvotto
07-25-2011, 04:45 PM
After riding behind my brothers brand new A20 I can give you all the info you want if you are curious about how effortless it is to achieve the perfect wake. Telling people to move around to clean up the wake wash is unnecessary in this boat. PM me if you want further details.

Surf tabs will clean up the whole issue or reseating people.

Suprahunter
07-25-2011, 04:52 PM
I read that the Axis has a problem with the swim platform interfering with the surf wake. One owner fixed this problem by taking off the platform. If you demo the Axis try the surfing and post if its true?

you da man
07-25-2011, 04:53 PM
No carpet in the floor storage compartment...big plus to prevent mold. All switches on the dash, bright LED lighting in glove box, behind passenger seat, INSIDE rear lockers, and in the bow. Standard cruise works very well. Stock hidden ballast with wedge is as capable if not more capable than bagged GGIII and wakeplate. Factory Moomba stereo system with tower speakers can't touch Axis factory system. Small detail but never cared for the Moomba rubrail. No buttons for cover on the Axis. The flip up seats are better quality hardware and more sturdy in the Axis and are operated with one hand whereas the Moomba flip up seats in the XLV need two hands to operate and flemsy. The Axis tower fold down procedure is a pain IF you need to to take it down...I don't so "no worries". Axis cup holders are plain plastic but easily upgraded if wanted.

wolfeman131
07-25-2011, 04:55 PM
we've learned our lesson, right?

Glad you saw the humor in my reply and let's hope the above is true.

Rock on, Donkey Kong!

you da man
07-25-2011, 05:02 PM
By the way, the tray above the engine is nice to preheat cold wetsuits or keep babyback ribs in foil warm

brain_rinse
07-25-2011, 05:04 PM
All switches on the dash, bright LED lighting in glove box, behind passenger seat, INSIDE rear lockers, and in the bow.
Oh yeah, the lighting... that was nice but a little more conspicuous than I thought it needed to be. The LEDs look like little cameras.

Moseley618
07-25-2011, 05:05 PM
My buddy bought an A22 last fall and I have been on it a few times. I don't like the windshield, it looks good but is not great at keeping spray from blasting you. The tower is rock solid and tall which is nice, it does suck to put down. The storage under the seats sucks being open, stuff keeps finding its way out. The stereo sucks from the factory. The ballast is good but you will soon want the plug and play and then need to up grade the rear bags to 750s. Then you have to put a pump between the bag and hard tank to get them to drain. The wakeboard wake is great and easy to setup. It is wide though. The surf wake is hard to get setup. He still does not have it dialed in and he has done all the upgrades mentioned above. I can't wait to see the new offering from Moomba because it should be awesome.

mk_deuce
07-25-2011, 05:10 PM
Surf tabs will clean up the whole issue or reseating people.

If you are talking about the wakeplate that is included on the moomba then the answer is no it doesnt clean up as effective as a boat that doesnt need anything to clean up the wake. If you are talking about adding additional trim tabs thats another animal and requires extra cash! Yes I have a newer lsv so I can comment on the wake differences from experience.

you da man
07-25-2011, 05:12 PM
Forgot, the Axis driver seat is very comfortable but could use an open back. My swivel and slide work fine...don't know what the issue is on the boat you tried out. The driver seat is not "fluffy" people friendly

brain_rinse
07-25-2011, 05:16 PM
Forgot, the Axis driver seat is very comfortable but could use an open back. My swivel and slide work fine...don't know what the issue is on the boat you tried out. The driver seat is not "fluffy" people friendly
Yeah the dealer said they'd have a tech look at it as obviously it should both slide and swivel. I just meant I couldn't try it out. Lol at "fluffy." I never thought of it but yeah, I suppose there is a size limit for the driver. I just would prefer it be more open or even vented like the Tige seats.

you da man
07-25-2011, 05:18 PM
Then you have to put a pump between the bag and hard tank to get them to drain.

Your buddy has his plug n play system installed wrong then. We eliminated half the factory vented loop system when we installed the plug n play system on two different Axis boats and we've never had an issue draining.

jester
07-25-2011, 05:21 PM
By the way, the tray above the engine is nice to preheat cold wetsuits or keep babyback ribs in foil warm

How could i guess a guy from Texas has ribs on his boat. Now that is funny. It would be nice to have a warming tray for early season runs.

sandm
07-25-2011, 05:22 PM
I have read a lot on the axis and talked to our local 'bu/skiers dealer when in shootin the breeze.

my take is a hardcore wakeboat that most of the offerings from skers won't touch if all you want is a wakeboard wake. our dealer described it as the best one on the floor with it's only rival being the vlx, but it's bare bones and not real "family/party cove" friendly. not a lot of storage and utilitarian by design. they admit tho that there are a lot better choices if surfing is your main thing and the axis is not a real good surfboat.
I wakeboard because it's something to do, but surfing is my main hobby and any of the products from skiers throw a wakeboard wake that is more than sufficient for me and my crew so I know the axis would not even make my long list of boats to shop.. realizing that every boat is not right for every person.
heck, I love the 242, but it would not be on my long list either, as I don't think I could keep it in fuel for the 4 or 5 of us that go regularly to bob around on that floating living room :) need a big crew to justify that bad boy but it sure is nice to drool over...

you da man
07-25-2011, 05:26 PM
I read that the Axis has a problem with the swim platform interfering with the surf wake. One owner fixed this problem by taking off the platform. If you demo the Axis try the surfing and post if its true?

The platform cuts the surf wake height, push, and pocket and adds wash. However, it's still "okay" and easy enough to teach on. Take the platform off and it's money all day...clean, long pocket, waist high (if you slam it), and good push. However, this is a core wakeboard boat...not a surf boat. If Axis cut the corners off the platform...problem solved

you da man
07-25-2011, 05:29 PM
How could i guess a guy from Texas has ribs on his boat. Now that is funny. It would be nice to have a warming tray for early season runs.

Hamburger patties too!!!!

sandm
07-25-2011, 05:33 PM
Hamburger patties too!!!!

don't you know you are supposed to slow cook ribs and prime rib, not hamburger :p

you da man
07-25-2011, 05:44 PM
Didn't know I was suppose to video with my iPhone sideways if I upload to YouTube, that's why the video is small. Goofy side surfing Axis A22 no platform

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukZeiMiz-og&feature=youtube_gdata_player

skiyaker
07-25-2011, 06:26 PM
don't you know you are supposed to slow cook ribs and prime rib, not hamburger :p

you guys on the Supra Forum crack me up with your engine cooking- maybe you should put together a recipe book LOL

the axis I saw at the boat show was all red and the gel coat look like A$$ all wavy and crappy. I'm sure it's a great boat if your primary concern is the wake.

07-25-2011, 11:59 PM
Yes, of course. The lowest priced, high quality in board tow boat.

You mean the least expensive but still high quality inboard, right?

I'm also really looking forward to see what's coming. The new illusion tower with a forked bow would sure catch my interest!

brain_rinse
07-26-2011, 12:01 AM
I knew you did, just wanted to clarify. :)

rdlangston13
07-26-2011, 12:41 AM
i have a buddy who just traded in his supra and is looking at an axis, may have one by then end of the week, ill be riding on it as soon as i get back to the main land!

cab13367
07-27-2011, 01:03 AM
Goofy side surfing Axis A22 no platform

That's gotta suck having to remove the platform every time you want to surf, not to mention you have to put it somewhere, and how the hell do you get back in the boat? Did you know this when you bought the boat??

cab13367
07-27-2011, 01:31 AM
Also, I've read many people rave about how the Axis wakeboarding wake is not as sensitive to weight placement. Well, that is to be expected because pickle fork boats are essentially tri hulls so of course it's not as sensitive to weight distribution. But it also makes it very hard to make the boat list which means it's hard to get a surf wave out of it.

My brother has the same issue with his MC X25 which is also has a pickle fork bow. He has tried everything and he cannot get a clean surf wave out of his boat. He has "wave envy" every time I send him a pic of my wave with nothing more than a 750 and a 400 for ballast.

So I'll stick with my non-pickle fork boat, thank you very much :)

07-27-2011, 01:54 AM
The MC salesman I met said the X25 has the best wave of all the mastercrafts for surfing with nothing more then factory ballast. I sat in the boat and it was VERY nice, one of the nicest boats I have been in. Does your brother have the surf tabs? Oh ya, it was $102k

you da man
07-27-2011, 02:35 AM
Also, I've read many people rave about how the Axis wakeboarding wake is not as sensitive to weight placement. Well, that is to be expected because pickle fork boats are essentially tri hulls so of course it's not as sensitive to weight distribution. But it also makes it very hard to make the boat list which means it's hard to get a surf wave out of it.

My brother has the same issue with his MC X25 which is also has a pickle fork bow. He has tried everything and he cannot get a clean surf wave out of his boat. He has "wave envy" every time I send him a pic of my wave with nothing more than a 750 and a 400 for ballast.

I call BS on the list part. My Axis is wider than my previous XLV and has way more list with 1350lbs of surf side ballast than my XLV did with 1950lbs of surf side ballast.

you da man
07-27-2011, 02:57 AM
That's gotta suck having to remove the platform every time you want to surf, not to mention you have to put it somewhere, and how the hell do you get back in the boat? Did you know this when you bought the boat??

Takes about a minute to remove the platform and we just leave it at the storage unit. We can get back in the boat just as fast without a platform than most people with a platform and without assistance. We only surf without the platform once per week on Wednesday evenings for a couple hours. Other than that we surf with the platform on. It's a wakeboard boat first. I'm concerned with the BEST wakeboard wake that is easy to set up. Surfing comes second and we (my girl and I) don't feel it's a hassle to make it a great surf boat even if we have to take the platform off. Im actually looking at getting the platform hardware and having a custom teak platform made to my specific shape to not effect the surf wake. IF wakeboarding is your reason for an Axis then you'll more than likely like the boat. IF you are a family person who needs to think about a little more in interior styling (very little more) and/or more surf time, then the Axis is not for you. The Axis has never been advertised as a good surf boat or a crossover boat, its capable no don't. Moomba was not thought of as a surf boat either until people started doing it and ripping the platforms off due to inadequate structural strength. Moomba fixed the issue. I'm pretty sure Axis will possibly modify their platform in the future to make this boat a little more appealing to those who would like to surf AND have the best wakeboard wake.

cab13367
07-27-2011, 03:28 AM
I call BS on the list part. My Axis is wider than my previous XLV and has way more list with 1350lbs of surf side ballast than my XLV did with 1950lbs of surf side ballast.

Well, i've never personally seen the Axis surf wave but have spent plenty of time behind my brother's MC and i can tell you he has a hard time getting it to list and subsequently, he can't get a clean surf wave out of it. He has added the plug and play ballast to no avail.

cab13367
07-27-2011, 03:58 AM
Takes about a minute to remove the platform and we just leave it at the storage unit. We can get back in the boat just as fast without a platform than most people with a platform and without assistance. We only surf without the platform once per week on Wednesday evenings for a couple hours. Other than that we surf with the platform on. It's a wakeboard boat first. I'm concerned with the BEST wakeboard wake that is easy to set up. Surfing comes second and we (my girl and I) don't feel it's a hassle to make it a great surf boat even if we have to take the platform off. Im actually looking at getting the platform hardware and having a custom teak platform made to my specific shape to not effect the surf wake. IF wakeboarding is your reason for an Axis then you'll more than likely like the boat. IF you are a family person who needs to think about a little more in interior styling (very little more) and/or more surf time, then the Axis is not for you. The Axis has never been advertised as a good surf boat or a crossover boat, its capable no don't. Moomba was not thought of as a surf boat either until people started doing it and ripping the platforms off due to inadequate structural strength. Moomba fixed the issue. I'm pretty sure Axis will possibly modify their platform in the future to make this boat a little more appealing to those who would like to surf AND have the best wakeboard wake.

You may tolerate the platform shuffle but most people boat with more than 2 people (we have friends and family) and do a mix of watersports on any given day and for me, having to remove the swim platform to get a good surf wave would be a deal breaker. I prefer a boat that is good for a wide range of watersports, not a one trick pony. And nice dig on the swim platform coming off a Moomba, which by the way, happened to ONE guy that i am aware of. I have been surfing behind mine for 5 years and the swim platform has not ripped off, imagine that.

KSmith
07-27-2011, 06:38 AM
Well said Al.

you da man
07-27-2011, 08:20 AM
You may tolerate the platform shuffle but most people boat with more than 2 people (we have friends and family) and do a mix of watersports on any given day and for me, having to remove the swim platform to get a good surf wave would be a deal breaker. I prefer a boat that is good for a wide range of watersports, not a one trick pony. And nice dig on the swim platform coming off a Moomba, which by the way, happened to ONE guy that i am aware of. I have been surfing behind mine for 5 years and the swim platform has not ripped off, imagine that.

I'm disagreeing with the LSV being a great crossover family boat because it holds it's own amongst some of the best boats in it's size. The only thing it does not excel in is surfing. I would put it up against the LSV in ski wakes.

you da man
07-27-2011, 09:00 AM
Well said Al.

Al, I wish SC offered a RH rotating prop option or else I would have stepped down from my XLV to an LSV to have an easier wakeboard wake to dial AND a great surf wake.

moombadaze
07-27-2011, 09:34 AM
kinda wish I could try some of these other boats out for surfing so I could compare--only been surfing behind 3 hulls--03 to 08 LSV/outback V, 08 LSV and a 08 LS that at the time didnt have enough balast for me to free surf.

Sounds like if the Axis had a better look to its top deck it would do better with a more general buyer-even tho its sounds like there selling out, I understand its build for the core rider--thats not me, I do wish my boat some of there features tho.

you da man
07-27-2011, 09:50 AM
kinda wish I could try some of these other boats out for surfing so I could compare--only been surfing behind 3 hulls--03 to 08 LSV/outback V, 08 LSV and a 08 LS that at the time didnt have enough balast for me to free surf.

Sounds like if the Axis had a better look to its top deck it would do better with a more general buyer-even tho its sounds like there selling out, I understand its build for the core rider--thats not me, I do wish my boat some of there features tho.

I've never seen a pic or video of an Outback V or LSV being surfed goofy footed. That's the side we surf so that's why I would like a RH prop

skiyaker
07-27-2011, 10:10 AM
even tho its sounds like there selling out

they're selling out cause after bu figured out that a lot of potential bu buyers were opting for an Axis instead they cut production- driving up prices and opening the door for other price point offerings

E4NASH
07-27-2011, 10:11 AM
I've never seen a pic or video of an Outback V or LSV being surfed goofy footed. That's the side we surf so that's why I would like a RH prop

I can show you a pic AND video of my '05 LS being surfed Goofy footed

This video was caught at the end of my buddy's run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbteA3jAIuM

cab13367
07-27-2011, 10:11 AM
I'm disagreeing with the LSV being a great crossover family boat because it holds it's own amongst some of the best boats in it's size. The only thing it does not excel in is surfing. I would put it up against the LSV in ski wakes.

Huh? You lost me.

brain_rinse
07-27-2011, 10:17 AM
I surf goofy and the LSV has an amazing wave.

cab13367
07-27-2011, 10:18 AM
Al, I wish SC offered a RH rotating prop option or else I would have stepped down from my XLV to an LSV to have an easier wakeboard wake to dial AND a great surf wake.

See pic below of Brian from Exile surfing the goofy side behind my LSV. This is with just a 750 in the surf side rear locker and a 400 in the center ski locker plus 5 people in the boat AND the platform in place. I think the wave is at least equivalent to the Axis wave with 1350 on the surf side (with platform removed) that I saw on your video.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg276/cab13367/58a0148c.jpg

you da man
07-27-2011, 10:27 AM
Huh? You lost me.

Oops, NOT disagreeing...the LSV is Moombas flagship family boat and a good surf and wakeboat.

skylar18
07-27-2011, 10:30 AM
That is what I love about my Supra 22v. I have a great surf wake on both sides as my son and I surf Goofy and my wife and I surf regular.

(I am mediocre on both sides)

moombadaze
07-27-2011, 10:32 AM

Ive only surfed mine goofy with no balast, but its supposed to have a better goofy wave?-- thats what I read somewhere.

you da man
07-27-2011, 10:33 AM
See pic below of Brian from Exile surfing the goofy side behind my LSV. This is with just a 750 in the surf side rear locker and a 400 in the center ski locker plus 5 people in the boat AND the platform in place. I think the wave is at least equivalent to the Axis wave with 1350 on the surf side (with platform removed) that I saw on your video.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg276/cab13367/58a0148c.jpg

I agree, nice wave. Ill always have to use sacs of somesort in the cabin due to not ever having others in the boat. A member on the Axis forum showed me pics of his wake at his waist...I was surprised. I'm going to try his set up with 1100 on top of 200 hard tank and bow sac full. This guy turned me on to removing the platform just to see the potential. He also literally took a sawzall to his platform and cut the corners off and had the platform re-glassed

brain_rinse
07-27-2011, 10:48 AM
He also literally took a sawzall to his platform and cut the corners off and had the platform re-glassed Wow, that's dedication! I agree with you that Axis will likely alter their platform design to help with the surf wake. I like the idea of building your own out of teak too.

kaneboats
07-27-2011, 02:07 PM
Man, I hope he didn't buy the wrong boat again.

cab13367
07-27-2011, 02:59 PM
Man, I hope he didn't buy the wrong boat again.

LOL! Exactly what I was thinking :)

kaneboats
07-27-2011, 03:21 PM
Yea, I don't know what I would do if I could only surf on Wed nites or if I had to run (45 min.) back to the garage to switch over to surf. Don't even get me started about the windshield.

cab13367
07-27-2011, 03:37 PM
I agree, nice wave. Ill always have to use sacs of somesort in the cabin due to not ever having others in the boat. A member on the Axis forum showed me pics of his wake at his waist...I was surprised. I'm going to try his set up with 1100 on top of 200 hard tank and bow sac full. This guy turned me on to removing the platform just to see the potential. He also literally took a sawzall to his platform and cut the corners off and had the platform re-glassed

Personally, I don't need a waist high wave to have a blast surfing and frankly, I have no patience or tolerance for filling extra sacs and putting them all over the boat. Even with just my wife and two little kids on the boat, my LSV puts out a nice wave that I can surf all day with just a 750 in the rear locker and 400 in the center locker (and lately, a little weight in the opposite rear locker). I have no aspirations to be a pro or even become an advanced surfer - it's more of a casual, fun thing we do after wakeboarding and for that, the LSV more than delivers. If you do want the huge long wave, you can still have it by adding a bunch of extra weight. And either way, we don't have to take a sawzall to our platform, remove it, or have one custom made :)

you da man
07-27-2011, 04:01 PM
Personally, I don't need a waist high wave to have a blast surfing and frankly, I have no patience or tolerance for filling extra sacs and putting them all over the boat. Even with just my wife and two little kids on the boat, my LSV puts out a nice wave that I can surf all day with just a 750 in the rear locker and 400 in the center locker (and lately, a little weight in the opposite rear locker). I have no aspirations to be a pro or even become an advanced surfer - it's more of a casual, fun thing we do after wakeboarding and for that, the LSV more than delivers. If you do want the huge long wave, you can still have it by adding a bunch of extra weight. And either way, we don't have to take a sawzall to our platform, remove it, or have one custom made :)

The platform cutting into the wake was disappointing so I'll experiment to make the most out of it. As for slamming a boat with weight, it's more of a "for sh&ts and giggles" and see what I can do with the boat. I can see your point of view of just wanting a boat that gets the job done, nothing more and nothing less.

Mobius22
07-27-2011, 04:46 PM
[QUOTE= I can't wait to see the new offering from Moomba because it should be awesome.[/QUOTE]

This all day long

wolfeman131
07-27-2011, 04:56 PM
I can see your point of view of just wanting a boat that gets the job done, nothing more and nothing less.

kinda like wakeboarding for an Axis?

you da man
07-27-2011, 05:36 PM
kinda like wakeboarding for an Axis?

Honestly, if I had a family with kids/teens the LSV is a perfect low cost SUV of wakeboats. The LSV is the more multi-sport boat with surfing in mind as well as wakeboarding. I'm more of a wakeboarder who will surf 1 out 3-4 outings, however, my lady friend seems to have taken a liking to surfing so that's why I'm doing what I can to try to make the most out of the Axis. She is almost going wake to wake on her wakeboard jumps, riding switch and doing ollies and 180's. However, she still loves surfing the most. I just feel blessed to have a lady friend that enjoys the water like I do and can launch and recover the boat. We'll have to see what my next boat will be...Tige RZ2 maybe?

rdlangston13
07-27-2011, 08:45 PM

i surf goofy behind my LSV all the time.

wolfeman131
07-27-2011, 08:51 PM
I surf on the port side, but people always tell me that I look goofy. Does that count?

jmvotto
07-27-2011, 10:25 PM

surfing with the platform off is a sure way to get the sport banned. it the only protection between you and the prop. might as well surf an i/o at that point.

that will never happen behind a boat i pilot. foolish.

rdlangston13
07-27-2011, 11:01 PM
surfing with the platform off is a sure way to get the sport banned. it the only protection between you and the prop. might as well surf an i/o at that point.

that will never happen behind a boat i pilot. foolish.

even with the platform off the prop is still the better part of a foot in front of the transom and you also have to get past a rudder to reach it. it drives me crazy when people on my boat complain about having the engine on while loading and unloading passengers. if you get cut by my prop you were reaching for it and thus deserve it

jmvotto
07-27-2011, 11:05 PM
better have good insurance for one who deserved it.

moombahighrider
07-27-2011, 11:27 PM
RD, Are you seriously complaining about people being safety conscious?

While I understand what you are saying about the prop being so far under the boat, I can't imagine how I would feel if I accidentally put the boat in reverse (while the motor is running) while someone was struggling to get onto the swim step. What a nightmare scenario!

I know the chances are slim to none, but I am not one to take chances with someone elses life.

rdlangston13
07-27-2011, 11:32 PM
RD, Are you seriously complaining about people being safety conscious?

While I understand what you are saying about the prop being so far under the boat, I can't imagine how I would feel if I accidentally put the boat in reverse (while the motor is running) while someone was struggling to get onto the swim step. What a nightmare scenario!

I know the chances are slim to none, but I am not one to take chances with someone elses life.

once the moomba cruise is set, the boat does not get turned off until we are done boarding. blame SC for this design flaw

moombahighrider
07-27-2011, 11:36 PM
So I don't have moomba cruise (i have perfect pass). Can you expand on why you can't turn off the boat because of moomba cruise? Will it not turn back to where you last had it?

rdlangston13
07-27-2011, 11:53 PM

i completely agree with this, having the added buoyancy on side of the front would decrease the weight sensitivity side to side, being wider also helps with this. i think that is one of the main reasons why most wakeboard specific boats are pickle fork now.

matt75
07-27-2011, 11:59 PM
So I don't have moomba cruise (i have perfect pass). Can you expand on why you can't turn off the boat because of moomba cruise? Will it not turn back to where you last had it?

I had perfect pass on the Supra. I believe MC doesn't go back to prior settings. David?

rdlangston13
07-28-2011, 12:01 AM

when you turn the boat off with moomba cruise it resets it and you have program it again. not a big deal to program it with PP but moomba crusie is a PITA. you have to get to speed, then press SET, then fine tune with the + and - buttons to get it right where you want it all the while your rider waits for you to get it set right. i dont like doing this every time we change riders

cab13367
07-28-2011, 12:05 AM
when you turn the boat off with moomba cruise it resets it and you have program it again. not a big deal to program it with PP but moomba crusie is a PITA. you have to get to speed, then press SET, then fine tune with the + and - buttons to get it right where you want it all the while your rider waits for you to get it set right. i dont like doing this every time we change riders

So if you don't shut the engine off, Moomba cruise will remember the last speed that it was set at and automatically take over when you get close to it?

cab13367
07-28-2011, 12:06 AM

So if you don't shut the engine off, Moomba cruise will remember the last speed that it was set at and automatically take over when you get close to it?

And the cruise is resetting because it loses power when you shut the engine off?

rdlangston13
07-28-2011, 12:16 AM

it doesn't even hold speed, it is RPM based so you set it at an rpm and adjust it 50 rpm at a time with the + and - button to get it where you want it. and yes, if you slow down without turning off the boat it retains the previous set point and resume when you get on the throttle again. if you turn the boat off it looses its last set point and you have to reset it by doing what i described in the previous post.

being rpm based really sucks since when you cut the boat slows down and when you pop off the wake it speed back up and kind of pulls you over a little bit. and the wake is always changing width and shape from cutting to riding straight since it just hold engine speed and not boat speed. also increases holeshot time since it wont rev past the set rpm to get to speed initially

moombahighrider
07-28-2011, 12:21 AM
Wow, I knew that getting perfect pass was the way to go when I bought my boat but I had no idea how bad moomba cruise really was. David, sounds like a pp upgrade is in order?!?

rdlangston13
07-28-2011, 12:25 AM
Wow, I knew that getting perfect pass was the way to go when I bought my boat but I had no idea how bad moomba cruise really was. David, sounds like a pp upgrade is in order?!?

yeah, im just out of money for boat upgrades this year and i still have to sort out my amp overheating issue. PP and an ACME 1847 will be installed by next summer

cab13367
07-28-2011, 12:25 AM
it doesn't even hold speed, it is RPM based so you set it at an rpm and adjust it 50 rpm at a time with the + and - button to get it where you want it. and yes, if you slow down without turning off the boat it retains the previous set point and resume when you get on the throttle again. if you turn the boat off it looses its last set point and you have to reset it by doing what i described in the previous post.

being rpm based really sucks since when you cut the boat slows down and when you pop off the wake it speed back up and kind of pulls you over a little bit. and the wake is always changing width and shape from cutting to riding straight since it just hold engine speed and not boat speed. also increases holeshot time since it wont rev past the set rpm to get to speed initially

Doesn't seem like a big deal to shut it off and reset it each time, especially if it won't go past the set rpm when pulling up a rider. You're having to choose between the lesser of two evils I guess.

Could you wire the Moomba Cruise directly to the helm buss and add a separate switch to turn it on and off instead of being wired to the ignition switch? That way, you can turn the cruise on at the start of the day and off at the end of the day and it will retain the last set rpm even if you shut the engine on and off?

That's got to be a hassle leaving the engine running in between riders. Other than the possibility of it accidentally going into gear, everyone back there is inhaling CO2 while waiting to switch out riders, not to mention you are running up your engine hours and burning gas unnecessarily.

Just a thought.

rdlangston13
07-28-2011, 12:29 AM
the exhaust fumes have never really been a problem, just get in and get the next rider out timely. if we stop and sit for a while i do turn it off.

that is one thing i never understood about the FAE. i have never smelt any fumes behind my boat surfing

mmandley
07-28-2011, 03:05 AM
Dave is right about the MC but its not as bad as it sounds.

When boarding once you get the speed you want push the throttle pretty fare past the position it was in when you set it.

Remember your RPM.

Now when yuo go to turn and the boat slows, the RPMs drop same as a car does. When yuo have the extra throttle the boat will add more throttle around that curve and hold its speed better. Yes the boat will slow down a couple MPH but nothing that serious.

When we switch riders we turn off MC and tell the next driver take it to 3300 RPM or what ever and set the Cruise.

Lastly when i run 2500LBS of ballast MC sucks royally out fo the hole. I turn it off after each pull because i need full throttle to get from 13 MPH to 20+ other wise MC takes several minutes and sometimes wont even plane the boat out.

The key is remember what RPM you need for what speed, then add more throttle after the MC is on for the corners and lastly always shut your engine off when loading and unloading people.

sandm
07-28-2011, 06:29 AM
man, I always shut the engine off when swapping riders. I wouldn't dream of leaving it on. just takes one person slipping off the platform, swinging under the boat with their legs and we are now looking for lifeflight..
not to mention that you are adding up hours on the boat that don't need to be there. could be the difference between a 300hr and a 340hr boat at 2 years. it all adds up..

KSmith
07-28-2011, 06:52 AM
^^^ Agreed.

I am lucky enough that my MC is Speed based rather than the older RPM based units.

It can be a bit of a pain, but IMHO it is far less painful to push a Set button when I hit 20 MPH (or whatever target speed we are wanting) than someone getting an involuntary height reduction...

None of my crew are professionals, if it takes a few more seconds to adjust speed to a knats ass we can manage the wait... Hell if it takes a full minute I think they can hang on that long before demonstrating their mad skills... or lack there of ;-) Let them do some ollies, surface 180s, slides to warm up...

Even though my MC is Speed based I really have no illusion that if I set it it the riders desires 20.76 that the boat is really running a perfect 20.76 MPH... I also really doubt the rider could tell if we were off .24 MPH... If they can they need to be behind another boat then LOL

jmvotto
07-28-2011, 09:24 AM
man, I always shut the engine off when swapping riders. I wouldn't dream of leaving it on. just takes one person slipping off the platform, swinging under the boat with their legs and we are now looking for lifeflight..
not to mention that you are adding up hours on the boat that don't need to be there. could be the difference between a 300hr and a 340hr boat at 2 years. it all adds up..

+1 on sandm comments...

rdlangston13
07-28-2011, 09:26 AM
I got a tube rope caught in my prop in march and had to get it out in the middle of the lake. after that i am pretty confident that if if the boat is sitting still idling there is pretty much no way you will come in contact with the prop without trying.

however i reckon you do need competent people in the driver seat who do not put the boat in reverse with someone back there, that would be a disaster.

to me it is kind of like riding a roller coaster that goes into a tunnel, you feel like your hands will be chopped off if you keep them up while going into the tunnel but there is not real way it can happen unless you stand up out of your seat

jmvotto
07-28-2011, 09:52 AM
i know a girl back in the 90's that had here leg split open by a sherrifs patrol boat when they pulled over her jet ski to check for registration etc. when she stalled her pwc tipped toward the sherrif boat whe it was in reverse...

can you say lawsuit...

bzubke1
07-28-2011, 11:09 AM
After upgrading to perfect pass I probably would have just kept moomba cruise for the money. Once you figure out how to use it it's pretty nice. Upgrading the prop helped to keep a steady speed more than perfect pass in my experience. It is a lot easier for someone new to your boat to give you a better pull with perfect pass. It seems like it always takes someone new to driving with moomba cruise about 3 tries to get it set correctly.

saskyrider
07-28-2011, 11:33 AM
I to just this week got our tube rope caught in the prop.. We were floating for a few swimming and when we took off it had drifted under the boat. I could just reach the far side of the prop while hanging onto the edge of the swim platform. I had a buddy that has a big four winns tell me he had bought a surf board to try behind their boat.... I tried telling him how dangerous that is to no avail. He has an aftermarket swim deck that sits back so its 1 foot closer to the prop from the back of the swim deck than mine is but still... Yikes!

STANG KILLA SS
07-28-2011, 11:36 AM
i have the "digital cruise pro" in my '11 lsv and love it. it works exactly like the perfect pass in my 03 LSV. actually a little better. especially on pull outs. lets say speed is set to 22. perfect pass would wait until that you hit that speed to start pulling back the throttle so it would do up to 25-26 then drop back down to 22.
DCP anticipates the 22. and starts pulling back at 19-20, so it planes right at 22 and doesnt go blowing past it. nice feature.
im really glad i didnt spend the extra $700-900 (i cant remember now) on the perfect pass zero off or stargazer (cant remember which they offer now)
ive been VERY pleased.
i had heard how crappy Moomba Cruize was and knew i didnt want that. especially coming from a perfect pass boat.

you da man
08-09-2011, 11:24 AM
Axis is listening. A new platform shaped that it doesn't effect the surf wake for 2012. Guess I'll put the new platform on my 2011.

Mobius22
08-09-2011, 03:16 PM
Pretty sure Moomba has a surf platform as well this year

you da man
08-09-2011, 04:04 PM

I'm excited to see the new changes Moomba has next year. Can't wait to see pics of the Mojo's surf wake but I'm thinking Moomba won't slam it with the same weight we weekend warriors would but any pics would be appreciated.

wolfeman131
08-09-2011, 05:44 PM

bet 'ya it looks a lot like this one

http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd344/wolfeman131/Mojo/IMG_3036.jpg

rdlangston13
08-10-2011, 11:36 PM
Rode is a new A20 sunday. must say im an axis believer now!

Biggest down fall is the rear compartments have two doors instead of 3 and the front cup holders wont fit a beer with a coozie, which is a HUGE no no.

saskyrider
08-11-2011, 10:29 AM
what!!!!! can't use coozie in the cup holders!!! "shakes head and scratches A20 off of potential future boats.." haha... I noticed the 2 vs. 3 door as well but it doesn't bother me.

loudsubz
08-11-2011, 10:50 AM
After upgrading to perfect pass I probably would have just kept moomba cruise for the money. Once you figure out how to use it it's pretty nice. Upgrading the prop helped to keep a steady speed more than perfect pass in my experience. It is a lot easier for someone new to your boat to give you a better pull with perfect pass. It seems like it always takes someone new to driving with moomba cruise about 3 tries to get it set correctly.

You may need to start driving with a different crew :D

Nobody has ever had an issue using perfect pass in our boat. Turn on, set speed, done ???

Razzman
08-11-2011, 10:54 AM
How about 1 door! My buddies '98 Nautique Super Sport has one giant door operated by an electric ram. Talk about a pain in the azz! If the battery dies (which it did) then you have to remove the back seat and reach into the back and disconnect the ram to be able to open it! He now has two batts and I installed it to avoid that again!

you da man
08-11-2011, 11:14 PM
Rode is a new A20 sunday. must say im an axis believer now!

Biggest down fall is the rear compartments have two doors instead of 3 and the front cup holders wont fit a beer with a coozie, which is a HUGE no no.

Think about this though with 2 hatch covers instead of 3. Since Axis and Malibu have the engine tray for ropes and pre-heating wetsuits (or keeping babyback ribs warm) when you open one hatch you have access to half the engine tray where your rope is AND your vest in the rear locker with only having to open 1 hatch. Plus 2 hatches means a little less water seeping between the hatches versus 3 when people walk across the rear deck.

rdlangston13
08-12-2011, 01:31 AM
Think about this though with 2 hatch covers instead of 3. Since Axis and Malibu have the engine tray for ropes and pre-heating wetsuits (or keeping babyback ribs warm) when you open one hatch you have access to half the engine tray where your rope is AND your vest in the rear locker with only having to open 1 hatch. Plus 2 hatches means a little less water seeping between the hatches versus 3 when people walk across the rear deck.

but in a 3 hatch design if there was also a heating tray couldnt you just open the middle hatch to get the warm wet suit and rope? and water is going to seep no matter what, thats what bilge pumps are for lol

KSmith
08-12-2011, 06:34 AM
If I had 6 half length hatches I could only open the hatch covering the half of the bay that I wanted to get into... ;-)