PDA

View Full Version : ballast settings help, please

alty
07-25-2011, 11:24 AM
My friend just got a moomba outback V, we are basically trying to learn all by ourselves and we have no help:(

the boat has three 400 pound sacks (two in the back and one in the front)

we tried filling just the back one (on surf side) with the wakeplate all the way up, we found the wave wasnt as nice as many of the pics i have seen in this forum.

does anyone have advice for which and at what percent we should fill the ballasts and wakeplate settings

help would be greatly appreciated

thanks

alty
07-25-2011, 11:26 AM
also do we ride in a stright line or do we go drive the oat on an angle, any and all help for creating the perfect wave would be awesome

Jeffro
07-25-2011, 01:00 PM
I would recommend at least 750lbs on the rear surf side and 400 in the middle ski locker. I start at 10 mph with no wake plate and add plate as needed to clean up the edges, which is usually about 1/4. You can either speed up or add more plate to extend the wake back, although when you do that the height will diminish. On my LSV I have an 1100lb rear surf side sack, which works great; although I am not sure it will fit in an Outback. Every trip I have found that adjustments need to be made due to changes in the weight on the boat and many other factors. Good luck.

Jeffro
07-25-2011, 01:21 PM
I will try and turn slightly to the side I am surfing on, so if I am surfing port side I will turn slightly to the left. When the person falls I will turn to the opposite side to go back to them; other wise you may end up with a boat full of water.

KSmith
07-25-2011, 01:25 PM
Yup, as stated above the 750 sack in the surf side locker works well with the center 400 filled. Mine is a 2010 OBV.

I have the 1100 bag but have yet to use it as Ed had issues in his 2009 OBV with the weight of the bag bowing the engine compartment door. Not a good thing. I have been tinkering with the idea of building a support cage for the 1100 bag but haven't had time.

The best wakes for surfing I have had are as stated above (750 surf side rear locker, 400 center, wake plate as needed) and also two additional passengers weighting in about 350 combined, which is pretty much the same as the 1100 bag.

Martin Jr
07-25-2011, 01:48 PM
to be totally honest, the 1100 is overkill in the NG OBV. It is too big for these boats.

Even the fellows who own Wakemakers.com will tell you they feel the same way.

The 750 lb in each rear corner and the 400 up front is all the weight you need.

The rest comes from riding skill.

Once you learn the proper stance on your board (assuming you have the correct board) free riding happens very quickly.

I always drive in a straight line - unless I'm forced to turn because the shore is rapidly approaching.

cab13367
07-25-2011, 02:53 PM
My friend just got a moomba outback V, we are basically trying to learn all by ourselves and we have no help:(

the boat has three 400 pound sacks (two in the back and one in the front)

we tried filling just the back one (on surf side) with the wakeplate all the way up, we found the wave wasnt as nice as many of the pics i have seen in this forum.

does anyone have advice for which and at what percent we should fill the ballasts and wakeplate settings

help would be greatly appreciated

thanks

Start with:

Surf side full.
Opposite side empty.
Front bag full.
Wakeplate all the way up.
10 mph.

Ideally, you want a 750 in the rear surf side locker but since you don't have it, make it up with human ballast. Put the heaviest person in the rear corner seat on the surf side, then the next one next to him/her, etc., all on the surf side of the boat. The idea is to weight one side of the boat to get it to list (lean over), with most of that weight towards the back.

You can drive in a straight line but sometimes it helps to be turning SLIGHTLY towards the surf side.

From there, you can play with the wakeplate and speed to get the best wave.

Al