PDA

View Full Version : Cold Start Procedure

bkearney
07-25-2011, 09:54 AM
We have a new to us 2003 Mobius. This is our first EFI boat.. having had a Carb'ed boat beore this. I have noticed when putting it in the water, I may have to turn the key 4-5 times and hold it there to get the boat to turn over. Once we are running on the water, she turns over no problems. The battery indicator is showing 12 at the dock, and 14 when running so I assume it is not the battery.

The manual talks about a cold start procedure should be followed, but never outlines it. Is there a trick to putting it in at the beginning of the day?

papou
07-25-2011, 10:02 AM
Check all connections battery,starter,grounds if that's all good you may need a battery the old one has voltage but not enough amps.

cab13367
07-26-2011, 01:45 AM
The starting procedure for an EFI engine is:

1. Turn the key.
2. Done!

Do not pump or "crack" the throttle open like you would with a carb engine. With the throttle in neutral, just turn the key. Doesn't matter if it's the 20th start of the day or the first start of the season.

When you say it's not turning over, do you mean nothing happens at all? Or is it cranking but not firing?

Al

mmandley
07-26-2011, 03:46 AM
I'd be looking at changing the plugs wires and coil cap. Most likely with the age of the boat they havnt been changed latly. Other wise we need more details.

Slow crank?
Smoke after starts?
What color smoke?

Things like these can cause a slow start or excessive cranking due to internal issues not seen while running.

moombadaze
07-26-2011, 07:34 AM

1. Turn the key.
2. Done!

Thats about it.

bkearney
07-26-2011, 08:06 AM

When you say it's not turning over, do you mean nothing happens at all? Or is it cranking but not firing?

Al

Nothing. No sound, just sits there. I end up doing it a couple of times, and eventually it turns over and starts. I tested the battery, and it is fine. It shows 14v when running, so I assume the alternator is running.

bkearney
07-26-2011, 08:07 AM
I'd be looking at changing the plugs wires and coil cap. Most likely with the age of the boat they havnt been changed latly. Other wise we need more details.

Slow crank?
Smoke after starts?
What color smoke?

Things like these can cause a slow start or excessive cranking due to internal issues not seen while running.

For the plugs, I assume it would at least be cranking. Is that not the case. I get no sound, and I have to hit the keys a couple of times. I did not notice any smoke.. but I will pay attention next time I am on the water. Thanks!

KCMobius
07-26-2011, 09:20 AM
I would bet you have 12V but not enough amps. A would try a new battery.

cab13367
07-26-2011, 09:35 AM
So sometimes it won't turn over and sometimes it does? When it does turn over, does it turn over fast or really slow? Sounds like a loose wire or connection somewhere. Check the wires behind the ignition switch, at the lanyard kill switch, and at the battery.

cab13367
07-26-2011, 09:48 AM
Also, next time this happens, leave the key in the "run" or "on" position and get under the dash. Looking at the back of the switch, take a screwdriver and touch the two tabs on the right side of the switch together, momentarily connecting them. That should cause the engine to turn over. If it does, then your ignition switch is probably bad.

bkearney
07-26-2011, 05:16 PM
Will give the jumping idea a try too. It is wierd that it only happens when the boat is cold. The local autoparts store gave the battery (which was new this year) a clean bill of health.

viking
07-26-2011, 05:29 PM

1. Turn the key.
2. Done!

Hmmm - that's a coincidence. Same procedure here with one exception....

3.) crack open a cold beverage :)

jpetty3023
07-26-2011, 07:28 PM
^^. Haha, that about sums it up for me to

bkearney
07-27-2011, 08:16 AM
Hmmm - that's a coincidence. Same procedure here with one exception....

3.) crack open a cold beverage :)

I forgot the home brew. That is the issue. Thanks!

On a related note, I have been looking at the great Gogl for muffs for a direct drive. If I want to start it in the driveway, what can I use to get water into the engine? The only think I have seen is the fake a lake which seems a bit pricey for a toilet plunger with a hose.

kaneboats
07-27-2011, 01:58 PM
Sounds like you need to check your battery cables and clean the connections. Also, build yourself one of these for about $6 (you may have to click on the pic links):

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=9962&highlight=plunger

bkearney
07-27-2011, 02:45 PM
Cool.. I will head to the hardware store today. Next, find the impeller :)

-- bk

cab13367
07-27-2011, 02:52 PM
They also make a flush kit that splices into the raw water intake. You connect a garden hose to it inside the boat. A little easier to use than the plunger.

bkearney
08-09-2011, 10:01 AM
Thanks for all the help. I have decided the procedure is turn the key, wait 15-20 seconds for the EFI to kick in, and then crank. I think I was cranking a bit too soon.

-- bk

kaneboats
08-09-2011, 10:13 AM
Glad you found something that works for you.