PDA

View Full Version : Me wakeboarding.

walb0244
07-25-2011, 01:36 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsUZIaTFu9I&sns=em

There's a short video of me wakeboarding tonight. I had already been boarding awhile, then tried to learn to slalom then went back to boarding when this video was done. So I was pretty beat. Anyways. It never seems to fail tho that I do better when no camera is out. I landed 5 or 6 Ollie 180s the other night. My wife pulled out the camera and I wiped out on the next 5. So I wouldn't say this was my best for the night. My stepdad says I was getting about 4 1/2 feet of air under me so I was happy. Thinking about lengthen the rope and maybe trying a 180. I'm pretty good with my Ollie 180 so figure w2w 180 should be close.

jamie_abb
07-25-2011, 10:46 AM
Good riding....if I could offer you two suggestions. 1. Start your cut slower and finishing harder at the wake. It takes some practice to slow down but you will go higher. 2. Try some some one wake 180s first - the turn is easy - its all in the landing and getting the board turned in the direction you are traveling with a little bit of edge for control.

(I'm not an expert but struggled getting these two down - ex. two weeks ago I had a brain fart and rotated the wrong way w2w180. Landed with the rope on the inside and slammed the back of my head good. Neck still hurts and I smell toast all the time.)

flex
07-25-2011, 12:01 PM
that is called a ts bs 180 or hs bs 180 (toe or heelside backside). this is sweet trick & is considered an advanced one. it involves a handle pass & a blind landing. if you can get this trick on lockdown, major props. but be prepared to take some nasty edges.

you da man
07-25-2011, 04:05 PM
Watch for those diggers on your first couple of w2w 180 attempts. Keep your eyes up and out and land on a slight edge. You might want to try a shorter line a couple times so you're not worried about casing the landing and can work on technique

walb0244
07-25-2011, 07:03 PM
I was gonna start by doing inside out 180s and then outside inside 180s like it shows in "The Book". The only problem I'm seeing is it doesn't feel like I have vary much time at all doing the inside/outs or outside/in to do the 180. Maybe I just need to give it a try and see. I love "the book" but some things I skip in it. Like it says to Ollie behind the boat first. I couldn't do that so I went to Ollieing out in the flats instead.

On shortening the rope. I'm still learning on the speed and all with my boat. Not sure how long the rope is I am using right now. I do know that I have all the sections taken out of it. Also, running with no ballast in the boat and with the wake plate all the way down so that I have the smallest wake the boat will do right now. We were running 20mph in this vid. I normally run 22 mph but someone told me to slow down alittle. A few questions I have is when I decide to weigh down the boat will that create a steeper wake or just a bigger wake? Just didn't know if I was gonna look over my shoulder and see something that looks like it should be rolling in on the beach because it is starting to roll or what.

you da man
07-25-2011, 08:18 PM
Your LSV is not going to make that kind of wake...honestly. It will make a large, clean wake for sure. I know I have plenty of room to go inside out 180 even playing around with a 50' line so you'll have room. Long line is easier because it gives you a wider wake to edge inside to out and also when landing outside to in. It also lets the ramp or trough of the inside to out wake develop better, cleaner than at shortline. Then, take it to shortline and try your w2w 180 and then add sections. I would not recommend you skip this progression and just go big or go home and haul ass and try a w2w 180. Looks like you're technique for going w2w is more speed than progressive edging and pop. IF you try w2w 180 with a speed jump and catch an edge...I'll pray for you. Speed has very little with going w2w. You could actually reduce your edging out by half if you just progressively edged into the wake and you would get a higher and slower jump...throw in some cool grabs too (chicks dig those :D)

jamie_abb
07-26-2011, 01:06 AM
If your on "the book" - remember the double cut. Play with cut and how tall you stand - the variety in flight path is incredible.

Sean Murray Detention is really good and a little goofball too.

walb0244
07-27-2011, 02:25 AM
I'm jumping the wake with speed. Which I believe to be true. Sometimes I jump the wake and it seems like controlled kaos and sometimes I jump the wake and it feels smooth. The problem I feel is my progressive edge. But I'm also wondering about boat speed and such too. I have a 2006 moomba möbius lsv boat. Right now I run with no ballast and with wakeplate all the way down to create the smallest wake. I know it is about technique and not so much the size of the wake. One thing I'm not sure about is if he wake is suppose to be crisp or not. Sometimes my wake is washy and sometimes it is crisp. Rightnow I board at 20 mph. I've tried 20 and I've tried 22. Not really sure if I'm going too fast or too slow. I just get frustrated. The jumps that are smooth feel awesome. Just not sure what I'm doing wrong to get the progressive edge down.

danielspivey
07-28-2011, 11:05 AM
keep those legs straight when you rise off the wake..... it looks like your knees are bent which is taking away from your pop. Also like the guys are saying above.... you dont need to cut out as far as you are, go out about half of what you are with a progressive edge. the line tension will yank you across the wake. Also I learned to spin by doing it flat on the water... going switch, then 1 wake.... mid wake to outside wake, then one wake.... out to in...... Then try the 180 across the wake. Also its key to keep the handle at your waist level/hip.... if you don't, youll fly off axis like you did at the end there of the video. So cut it with your leading hip.... switch and put the handle to your other hip. The boat will pull that hip forward forcing you around.

Looking good tho