PDA

View Full Version : Stock battery connections on boat........

WaterBullDawg1980
07-24-2011, 09:32 PM
About to add a Perko and I am just trying to make clear in my head what exactly all the wires are I am dealing with.

What are the power cables that come in our boat from the factory? Looking at my "cranking battery, I have 3 wires that are running to the +, one of which is a jumper from one battery to the other. I would like to know exactly what is getting power from these guys. I know the engine, alternator and starter need power and are somehow included in the cables I am looking at. And my accessories have to have a power source so one of these suckers has to be for them as well. So which one of these is the alternator feed, helm buss breaker, and which one goes to the starter?

I also have three ground cables coming off that battery as well. One large and the other two smaller.

I am clear on all the wires coming from to and from my stereo battery.

Reading up on the installation of the switch it doesn't seem like rocket science but there are various opinions on like everything else it seems. Just would like a little clarity on what is what so I can have a little more confidence when hooking this all up. Working with electricity is not my forte. :shock:

rdlangston13
07-24-2011, 10:33 PM
I am pretty sure that the big + wire goes to the starter, alternator, ect. The smaller one should be the helm buss and mine goes straight to a circuit breaker.

cab13367
07-24-2011, 10:59 PM
Sounds like your two batteries are connected together in parallel, + to + and - to -. The large cables go to the starter solenoid. The smaller ones feed your helm buss under the dash which feeds the dash electronics and all your boat accessories.

WaterBullDawg1980
07-24-2011, 11:06 PM
Ok, so I was making this out harder than it needed to be.

Thanks for the info gentlemen.

:cool: