PDA

View Full Version : Compartment pull handles

mnpracing
07-22-2011, 06:09 PM
Anyone know where to get a vinyl pull handle like is on the port side observer seat door on the LSV's? I want to install them on the V-drive sun pad compartment doors to make them easier to open.

Razzman
07-22-2011, 06:37 PM
Those are nothing more than straps made up of interior scraps when the skins are stitched up.

I went to Strapworks (http://www.strapworks.com/Heavyweight_Polypropylene_p/hwp1.htm) and ordered up some polypro webbing to make my own. I ordered up 3' of of a couple of different colors to match the accent stripe in the interior. There's no minimum order at Strapworks, think mine was $3.

I removed the finger cup under the hatch covers and stapled a loop of webbing rigt to the bottom of the starboard with ss staples. I then cut a notch in the cup where the strap would exit so the cup could sit back flush. Mine sit about an 1 1/2 above the vinyl surface. Two seasons now and they work just fine and look good and can't get damaged as vinyl straps can.

Razzman
07-22-2011, 06:55 PM
Here's another shot at a different angle. I ordered silver gray & charcoal gray, turned out the charcoal gray is an identical match to my charcoal accent stripes which is the only color in the interior.

mnpracing
07-22-2011, 11:20 PM
Thanks Razzman, that's looks like the ticket.

newty
07-23-2011, 12:14 AM
Great idea Razz why the heck didn't you share that before now?

Little jealous I didn't think about it before now!:p

Razzman
07-23-2011, 12:38 AM
Great idea Razz why the heck didn't you share that before now?

Little jealous I didn't think about it before now!:p

Didn't want you getting all the credit you glory hog! :p

Actually I meant to, just forgot all about it! I'll take some pics tomorrow of the underside and post it up proper like!

KSmith
07-23-2011, 09:30 AM
On my last boat I used a blue nylon dog leash, cut it into lengths I needed, torched the ends, and secured it with stainless screws and washers.

jester
07-23-2011, 11:34 AM
Razz stop holding out on us. Just not cool at all.

The only thing i would be worryed about is someone getting a toe stuck in it and tripping. Have you had any issues with this?

That is a great idea. I do not know how many times people get fed up with trying to get them open.

Razzman
07-24-2011, 10:49 AM
Razz stop holding out on us. Just not cool at all.

The only thing i would be worryed about is someone getting a toe stuck in it and tripping. Have you had any issues with this?

That is a great idea. I do not know how many times people get fed up with trying to get them open.

Not at all Jester, at least nobodies mentioned it and my grandsons (ages 9-15) would have definately done it if it was an issue trust me! :p