PDA

View Full Version : "overheating smell" in new Moomba LSV

ejohn41659
04-17-2005, 09:11 PM
On april 15 I took delivery of a new 2005 Mobius LSV and now have 4.0 hours on it. When running at lower speeds, (10-15mph), I notice a very bad smell like something is burning . The dealer claims that this is just the rubber hoses breaking in and it will go away around 10 hours or so. Anyone else have this experience, and what happened to you?

Thanks,

Ed:)

smokedog2
04-18-2005, 07:28 AM
Yep, same thing. It was intermittent but eventually everyone got at least a short whiff. I was riding with the dealer. We were not sure what it was, eventually we thought it was the guy burning stuff on shore across the lake. An earlier guess was the packing grease on the Shaft Log Nut. Now that you mention it, I believe I have heard about hoses having an initial smell when they heat up, but it was not with boats. It did smell like cooking rubber.

Is the smell increasing or decreasing? I have about 3 hours on the boat and cannot really say I smelled anything in the last hour. I have a 15 minute no wake zone to putter through to pick up the boat and I did not smell anything at that point. At one point I was sniffing around the boat in all the storage areas but could not identify a source. At the time the burn pile up wind made sense to me. We also only smelled it in one spot on the lake.

I’m with Inliner. I’ll take a closer look around the engine the next time out. I’m also with your dealer, it is likely getting cooked out of the hoses or grease and will go away.

For all I know, it really was the guy burning on the hill, but given your post, I now doubt it.

SD2

2005 LSV

Yellowmobius
04-18-2005, 08:55 AM
Would it be paint burning off the exhaust manifolds?

Will Watters
04-18-2005, 10:13 AM
I too have a new Mobi LSV and for the first three hours or so I smelled a slight "over heat" type smell that seemed to increase when the heater was on (still kinda cool up here in Seattle). However, I now have over 6 hours and the smell appears to be greatly reduced (I do not think I smelled anything last time out). My Temp gauge always looked normal around 180. I did check the water strainer and it looked good as well as all fluid levels. Not sure if this is a common experience here, but in my case looks like the smell is related more to break in and not lack of cooling.

Lcky275
04-18-2005, 11:08 PM
I still smell that same thing and I've got 60 hrs on mine, but it's not nearly as strong. I pulled off the sides to the compartments next to the engine and I think it's the paint on the Manifolds. It's bubbled and peeling off. I assume this is normal? The thermostat reads about 175.

Brian Raymond
04-20-2005, 10:32 PM
The awareness of the situation is awesome, a lot of people will not notice this. When there is, what I call a "smell differential", it is always good to be alert. Watching the gauges is a must, and a visual inspection is a plus when these conditions occur. The V drives have a side deck wall constrution. This traps any smell from the motor compartment to drift up the gunnels and under the port and stbd. dashes. This is common on new boats, due to the paint "break in". The majority of the paint is burned off during the lake test procedure, (you want to talk about smoke and smell?). The smell may continue until the first service, and depending on lake water temps., a little longer. Being familiar with this smell is good. It will help determine other smells you might experience when having other issues. It is always good to be over cautious, and if a unfamiliar smell is detected, to shut her down and check it out. Brian Raymond

smokedog2
04-22-2005, 07:28 AM
"Smell Differential" – LMAO at that.

I can envision more than one situation where I can use that.

Buttafewcoe
04-22-2005, 01:26 PM
yep, me too............like when I go 'too far south'........lmfao;)

ejohn41659
04-27-2005, 10:27 PM
Thanks for all your replies. My dealer was great as he came out the same day I called and drove my boat around the lake. They advised that the "smell" was paint being burned off of the manifold. It seems that many here have seen the same thing. Qucik question...do you all see new boats with Carburetors run poorly at low rpms and cold weather?

Ed

Buttafewcoe
04-28-2005, 06:15 AM
Mine's carburated...........it's a little hard to start when it's cold and been sitting a couple weeks. But once it starts, even before it's warmed up good, it runs ok. That's where running a good gas grade come into play. 89 octane and up........a little pricey these days, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Catdog1
04-28-2005, 10:40 PM
Ours did well initially in all conditions. At 50 or 60 hours stalling was frequent. Changing the fuel filter helped in this situation.