PDA

View Full Version : New depth finder options and suggestions?

jstenger
07-21-2011, 11:09 AM
I am looking to add a depth finder to my OBV. Just curious what brands others are using and what they think of the units. Also, I do not have any open spots on the dash, so any mounting spots or pics would greatly help. Thanks in advance.

Joe

bergermaister
07-21-2011, 12:24 PM
Scope this thread - https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=15780

I personally would move a less important gauge if necessary to mount the depth gauge where it is easily visible. My amp meter / voltage gauge is down low and less visible so the depth gauge is in a good place but I'm sure my cockpit is different than yours.

Can kind of see it here in the bottom left. Depth gauge took it's place up with the others.
http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k414/grberglund/MoombaMobiusV/IMG_1955.jpg

danielspivey
07-22-2011, 12:38 AM
I just installed a humminbird depth gauge today. The stock one was worn out. All it has is depth, it has a transom mount transducer, that you can also epoxy in the bottom of the hull, shoot thru method. I used a humminbird like this in one of my bass boats and it worked awesome. Just don't get one with temp cause it'll be in your hull and never be right....

Kidder522
07-22-2011, 02:32 PM
Had Martin Motor Sports install one at the start of the season. It was a humminbird as well. works like a charm, easily to set, depth alarm sounds when reaches your low and upper levels. I had a spot, just above the throttle where they installed it. Keeps my mind at ease when cruising and coming into shore or dock.

cachais
07-22-2011, 02:39 PM
There are few write ups on here that cover this that I used to install/choose mine. I have the Hawkeye which I really like and glued the transducer to the bottom of the bilge area. Really easy. This sounds funny but I bought mine because the reviews said you can see it when wearing polarized sunglasses (which you can)and some of the other brands there were reviews saying they couldnt' read it wearing polarized glasses. I really like the hawkeye. Can't answer where to put it if you don't have an open slot on the dash.

kaneboats
07-22-2011, 02:47 PM
Doesn't sound funny at all to me. I can't read my stupid gauges with my new glasses on. I'm looking for a cheapo pair to wear only in the boat.