PDA

View Full Version : No power to ballast drain pump

yearround
07-21-2011, 12:02 AM
I'm no electric wiz but the other day the left ballast drain pump didn't work. I just assumed the pump had died. I got the bag drained and later went home. So a few days later now I bought a new pump and thought I would put it together. I plugged in the new and it did not work. I plugged the old one in the right side and it pumps fine, so does the new one. I guess now I have a back up pump but how do I find out the power problem?

Well I looked a little more, the left ballast switch light comes on for empty and fill but the fill pump does not come on. The other switches for center and right turn on fill pump.

is there any thing in line that would go out like a fuse or a relay?

cab13367
07-21-2011, 12:44 AM
I'm no electric wiz but the other day the left ballast drain pump didn't work. I just assumed the pump had died. I got the bag drained and later went home. So a few days later now I bought a new pump and thought I would put it together. I plugged in the new and it did not work. I plugged the old one in the right side and it pumps fine, so does the new one. I guess now I have a back up pump but how do I find out the power problem?

Well I looked a little more, the left ballast switch light comes on for empty and fill but the fill pump does not come on. The other switches for center and right turn on fill pump.

is there any thing in line that would go out like a fuse or a relay?

There should be a fuse panel for the ballast pumps under the dash attached to the bulkhead. I bet the one for your left empty pump is blown.

yearround
07-21-2011, 04:16 PM
There should be a fuse panel for the ballast pumps under the dash attached to the bulkhead. I bet the one for your left empty pump is blown.

Thanks Al
I will look for this. i hope it will be this simple and just replace a fuse. then i may worry about what caused to fuse to blow, or if it is just "the fuse blew, replace it"

yearround
07-21-2011, 08:55 PM
That was it! Thanks for the help Al. Now I have a spare drain pump and I have to fix the drain line I cut to drain the ballast.

I was in pueblo so I stopped in and saw Romoboco. Bill tried to sell me a new boat, they looked good.

cab13367
07-21-2011, 10:21 PM
That was it! Thanks for the help Al. Now I have a spare drain pump and I have to fix the drain line I cut to drain the ballast.

I was in pueblo so I stopped in and saw Romoboco. Bill tried to sell me a new boat, they looked good.

You're welcome, glad it was a simple fix. Tell Bill I said hey next time you see him.

yearround
07-26-2011, 09:50 AM
hey Al,
well it may not be such a simple fix. the fuse was blown, i replaced it, hit the pump several times, all seemed fine. at the lake last night filled the ballast, no problem. hit the switch to drain, nothing. we were on the way out, so not a big deal, figured to put another fuse in on the ramp and see what i going on, after a few fuses, and still no pump we went home with one ballast full. will have to look for the short in the wires to find out why it is blowing the fuse.