PDA

View Full Version : Kicker MX Vs ZXM

98outback
07-20-2011, 12:31 PM
Looking at some new amps. Whats the difference between the kicker mx and zxm? Both state they are marine rated. Did the ZXM just replace the MX? Thanks

philwsailz
07-20-2011, 12:48 PM
ZXM replaced MX.

There are a few differences, but for the most part they are quite similar electrically.

The biggest difference is with how the power wire connects to the amp. Both are ABYC compliant, but the MX uses ring terminals while the ZXM uses a special set screw system. The MX gain and other controls are under a sealed cover, (to keep your nosy stereo-expert brother-in-law from jacking with your settings) while for the ZXM, they are out and easily adjusted.

Buy eithter with confidence knowing the power is largely identical.

Phil
Kicker

98outback
04-19-2012, 11:05 AM
Phil or anybody else.

What are the differences in the old MX350.4 and the new ZXM350.4? I can see all of the controls on the ZXM but not on MX. Just wondering what controls are under the cover. Also noticed on the side of the ZXM that there is a button for input level, fader, and then xover 1, and xover 2 with off hi and low. I didnt see these on the side of the MX. Are they under the cover? Just want to make the right purchase but if the MX has them I can get a new one from a authorized dealer for 199.00 and the zxm is 299.00. Is it a bad idea to go with a refurb from an authorized dealer?

bergermaister
04-19-2012, 03:45 PM
ZXM replaced MX.

The MX gain and other controls are under a sealed cover, (to keep your nosy stereo-expert brother-in-law from jacking with your settings) while for the ZXM, they are out and easily adjusted.

Kicker

I've heard people have good luck with Kicker refurbs. Better than picking up something used off CL!

harmsway
04-19-2012, 09:24 PM
I would not hesitate to purchase a refurb Kicker amp as long as the seller is an authorized dealer. I recently purchased a ZX350.2 refurb'd and when I received it I could not tell it had ever been hooked up and I looked closely. It would not suprise me if it was an older model sold as a refurb piece.

philwsailz
04-20-2012, 09:19 AM
Phil or anybody else.

What are the differences in the old MX350.4 and the new ZXM350.4? I can see all of the controls on the ZXM but not on MX. Just wondering what controls are under the cover. Also noticed on the side of the ZXM that there is a button for input level, fader, and then xover 1, and xover 2 with off hi and low. I didnt see these on the side of the MX. Are they under the cover? Just want to make the right purchase but if the MX has them I can get a new one from a authorized dealer for 199.00 and the zxm is 299.00. Is it a bad idea to go with a refurb from an authorized dealer?

ALL MX controls are under the cover. The ZXM has the gains and knobs on the face and the switches on the end. The input level and fader switches were added on the ZXM to go along with improvements on the ZX car amp line....

Refurb from authorized dealer is fine; your warranty is not as long, but as bergmeister says, lots of people have real good luck with them.

Sorry for the late response; it is a busy time of year! Trying to make time to get back in here and stay current. :)

Holler with any questions!

Phil
Kicker

98outback
04-20-2012, 10:35 AM
Is the fader and level input really needed since this will be fore my tower speakers? I will be running RCA's to the amp. As long as the mx has a xover with off low and high that's all I need. I can get a brand new MX for 199.00 from authorized dealer and not go with a refub. Refurb I would only save 25.00 on. Id rather have the 1 year warranty.