PDA

View Full Version : Ski platform pad

plumcrazy
04-16-2005, 10:03 AM
I know that platform pad replacement has been discussed before, but since I didn't have a problem then, I didn't really pay attention. (C'mon, you all know it's that male genetic thing).
I seem to remember gorilla grip or monkey grip or something that was recommended.
If anyone has done this I'd appreciate a product and a source.Thanks in advance,
Dave

seanpatsdad
04-18-2005, 11:12 PM
Dave
I used this on my boat.Holds up awesome. http://www.airjunky.com/traxxed/
Hope this helps.
John

jburnside
04-19-2005, 09:07 AM
Dave,
The product you may be thinking of is called Gator Grip. It can be found by visiting the following web site: www.wakejunky.com

Looks like awesome stuff, lots of colors. I have not read anything bad about it. Just good reviews.

plumcrazy
04-19-2005, 03:27 PM
Thanks guys,
I'vegot a sample of the Gator Grip coming in the mail. The stuff at Airjunky looks similar and is somewhat cheaper. I'll call them for a sample also.
I'll report back on hows things go with the install as soon as I'm done.
Dave

jburnside
04-19-2005, 03:52 PM
Dave,
Have you already stripped the factory stuff off your platform? Just wondering how big of a pain that was. What did you use to get the adhesive off with? Details...

plumcrazy
04-19-2005, 07:50 PM
Jeff,
I have peeled off the old grey rubber material and it left the adhesive on the platform. I haven't tackled that yet, but Body shop owner brother-in-law says he has some miracle adhesive remover. I should add that we're repainting the platform, so if worse comes to worse, we'll sand it off. I'll keep you posted.
Dave

seanpatsdad
04-19-2005, 09:09 PM
I did not even remove the old stuff I just touched it up with some 3m adhesive.I did use a heat gun to remove the old pad.Airjunky I think was the original seller of this material.He sold it to the Gator guy I believe.It is what is used on the seat pad of Sky Skis.It is awesome on the swim deck.

BLKOUTLS
04-19-2005, 09:56 PM
The Gator Grip is great I've had mine on my boat for over a year and it works. I put it on the top rail to make getting in and out easier. Also put a large section on my transom
behind my swim platform to protect from board and ski hits. It looks great and no peeling.

NH Moomba
04-21-2005, 09:09 PM
I will be replacing my swim pad covering as well. It looks like Airjunky has more colors. They even have purple to match the boat. I think I read on one of the wakeboard forums that the color fades quickly . I've seen some self-installed gator grips that look a little rough around the edges (no pun intended) Has anyone ever tried cut this stuff and what did you use for a pattern? If I had a CAD file, I think I could get it waterjet cut for short money.

seanpatsdad
04-22-2005, 07:28 AM
NH
I took my swim deck off the boat and laid it out by tracing it out and then moving the line in a liitle bit all the way around.I just used a razor blade and scissors and it came out smooth.I used 3m adhesive to stick it on.I have the black and grey color.Matches the boat perfect.Good luck.
John

NH Moomba
05-03-2005, 07:19 PM
Well I bought the black/gray gator grip from wakejunky ($120 including very fast shipping) and it came with a pressure sensitive adhesive already on it. I took the platform off and peeled off the old pads which left a layer of clear film and adhesive still stuck to the platform. I bought some 3m adhesive remover from west marine and it barely toched the adhesive. I spent a good 3 hours, used a roll of towels and the whole quart of solvent working with a razor blade (carefully) scraping the adhesive off. My old pads were split in the middle so there is now a stripe of faded gelcoat down the middle. I had planned to get the 'roo graphic cut into the gator grip but I think the faded stripe will look crappy so I'm just going to cover it with a one piece pad. If the weather is nice this weekend, I will trace it out and cut it. I expect to have lots of material left over if I don't screw it up and plan to replace all the pads on my trailer.

plumcrazy
05-05-2005, 04:36 PM
Andy,
The black and gray was our choice to go with the purple hull. Was your old pad gray?
I'll be ordering from wakejunky soon. Good to know they're on the ball with the shipping. Let us know your impressions of the material after you've worked with it.
Dave

NH Moomba
05-07-2005, 01:53 PM
My old pads were black. I probably could have glued them down again. They were still in good shape but were flapping up. The main reason for replacing them is that the black dye was leaching out and we would leave footprints all over the white upholstery. I was hoping to cut it this weekend but the plan was to leave the stuff in the sun for a bit to take out the "roll" - NOT! We are having a nor'easter.

For some reason wakejunky doesn't let you buy the large piece of material using paypal on his web site. I was able to paypal directly to his email address and I had the stuff 4 days later.

Andy

AirJunky
05-25-2005, 12:23 PM
Hey guys,
Just wanted to thank John for pimpin the Traxx pad to the Moomba owners. Over the last couple of years I've done a few of the Moomba/Supra boats & had very good responses from them. Sounds like a few of you are considering it still & I just thought I'd make myself available to answer any questions.

AirJunky has been selling Traxx since 1997 when we found the vendor who makes Gator Grip. The product is the very same. But now days I have a couple of vendors for it, which gives me a few more colors. And since I've been doing it a while, I know what colors fade & are prone to have problems....... basically anything with red or yellow in it.

As for the FakeJunky, well, thats a sore spot to say the least. I sold Chris his first sheet at Boardstock in 1999 on Lake Shasta. Since then he's mimicked everything I've done. Flattering, huh.

Anyway, I just built myself a replacement swimstep for my old teak. Bought the glass step on Ebay for $175 shipped to my door. It turned out pretty cool.

Thanks again & hope everyone has a great summer.
--
Bill - [email protected]
AirJunky.com

NH Moomba
05-29-2005, 10:49 AM
Sorry Airjunky, if I had known the history, I'd have bought from you. I did look at your website and it wasn't clear in your ordering process if it had PSA on the back.

Plum, I finally got my GatorGrip installed and it came out great. I flipped the deck over and traced onto the release liner using a Sharpie. I stole my wifes fabric cutting pad ( a large piece of thin cutting board material) and cut approximately 1/4 inch inside the line using an Xacto knife with a curved blade. I then flipped it over and checked the fit. It looked like crap. I guess I didn't have a very steady hand or didn't trace very well because the Gatorgrip just didn't follow the curve very well. Now that I think about it, maybe the deck isn't very symmetric and flipping it over was the problem. I ended up using a power planer to shave it to fit and it worked well. The edges aren't as clean as the razor but it is hardly noticable. Installing it was easy. I got it positioned the way I wanted it and sat on it. They I peeled up one half of it and pulled back the release liner and tore it in half. I let that half roll naturally into place, got of and pulled up the other half. Removed the rest of the liner and let it fall back naturally and the fit was great. Now I have bunch of material left over and I am tempted to cover the trailer pads.

Andy

plumcrazy
06-05-2005, 08:34 PM
Andy,
Glad to here the pad went on well. I still haven't bought a piece of the pad yet... We just took the boat out of storage today! This is the latest ever, but I don't need to remind you what the weather has been like. (OK, yesterday was awesome, but my wife and I were on the bike from Newburyport up to Portsmouth along the coast).
Are you happy with the color choice? I'm still up in the air between black / gray and white/ gray. What do you think for the plum colored hull?

Dave

NH Moomba
06-05-2005, 09:36 PM
Plum, I haven't gotten the boat up to the cottagei yet either. I did take it to lake Whitehall in town just for a check to make sure everything is working. They have a 12 MPH limit and no watersports so it wasn't very exciting. I spent today putting in the new dock and hope to bring the boat up next Friday after work. If you want, I can take a picture of the pad. I think it looks good on mine because the Moomba labels are in the same gray color.

Andy

qb12
06-06-2005, 09:06 AM
I also bought the big piece of gator grip, black on white. It looks great on my 02 Outback, Yellow. It was a pain to get off, but I was able to use the old padding for a outline to cut the new. I simply added 3/4 of a inch between the two to get a good full piece to put on the platform. Used 3M adhesive spray to make sure it did not come lose. Also put a 2 1/2 piece on the transom for extra protection.

Plan on doing the trailer in the next week or so to really pimp it out.

Get a lot of comments from other boats on how sharp it looks.

Hope everyone had a good weekend.

Doug, Tulsa

Da Man
06-06-2005, 11:32 PM
I was wondering if anyone knows of where I can get a solid piece of pad, black, to put on my platform. I'd like to use the gator grip but for my application I need a solid piece rather than the pattern that they have. I'd like something that will have a good antislip factor but won't tear up your knees when getting out of the water.

plumcrazy
06-29-2005, 06:30 PM
I just finished the platform overhaul. I had the 'glass repainted-what a difference. I ended up buying Traxx from Bill at airjunky. Same price as the Gatorgrip guy. It took longer to get than I would have liked- about 18 days- but it was worth the wait. Really nice material to work with. We traced the platform, then made another line 1/2" inboard of the first and cut it with my wife's sewing scissors (sorry Hon). The Traxx has a great adhesive backing, so no spray was needed. We laid the pad down and pulled off the paper backing as we worked to the other side. Flipped it upside down and weighted it overnight. Took less than 45 minutes. I bought a full sheet so I'm going to put a strip on the transom, and replace the grit on the trailer steps. Bill answered my emails quickly, and walked me through the process. I recommend him and his product. The thing looks so good I don't want to use it!
Vacation next week, so we finished at a perfect time.

Dave

Da Man
08-11-2005, 09:46 PM
Sounds like it turned out nice. Got any Pics? Also is there any contact info you can give me on this person?

qb12
08-12-2005, 08:31 AM
Just go to airjunky.com

it looks great. i gets tons of compliments from other ski/wakeboard boats.

Da Man
08-13-2005, 06:14 AM
Thanks man, appreciate it.:)

mustangairchair
11-16-2008, 09:14 PM
you can get the same as factory of difrent kinds from hydoturf.com good price too:

jmvotto
11-17-2008, 07:57 AM
nice web site, i all saw were babes in bikinis, not much on the product though. easy on the eyes.:p

kaneboats
11-25-2008, 10:12 AM
What was the product again?