PDA

View Full Version : For you Texans..........

WaterBullDawg1980
07-19-2011, 11:44 AM
Going to Houston for work today until Thursday evening.

What should I try and do while I am there? Never been so I am up for anything.

My only real busy day will be tomorrow. I will have all of early evening and tonight as well as all day after 2 tomorrow and then a few hours on Thursday.

I was thinking about taking in a Astros game tomorrow night, bc I like to see the stadiums, but if you guys have any better ideas, please shoot em out.

csm
07-19-2011, 12:04 PM
Minute Maid is a great stadium, so an Astros game is a good choice, even if they're the worst team in MLB.

I'm a sucker for any body of water, so I would consider heading down to the Kemah Boardwalk for dinner one night. Tons of restaurants down there on the bay, and a pretty lively environment.

WaterBullDawg1980
07-19-2011, 12:12 PM
Nice! I am the same way, so I will look into that. I am staying at the Hotel Derek so if you guys know anything close to that it would be helpful.

As far as the Astros, even worse, they are playing the Nationals. :( But I have heard good things about the stadium so it still should be a good time.

Looking forward to seeing a little bit of Houston.

skylar18
07-19-2011, 12:22 PM
I second going to minute maid park.....great stadium. Getting a seat won't be a problem!

scoot_gt
07-19-2011, 12:23 PM
Getting a seat won't be a problem!

Haha! Especially against the Nats.

kaneboats
07-19-2011, 01:05 PM
My uncle has season tickets for the Astros. The other day he had a pair of tickets there was no way he could use. He tucked them under his wiper blade in the parking lot at work so anyone who wanted them could just take them. When he returned to his car at the end of the day there were three more pairs there.

skylar18
07-19-2011, 02:04 PM
My uncle has season tickets for the Astros. The other day he had a pair of tickets there was no way he could use. He tucked them under his wiper blade in the parking lot at work so anyone who wanted them could just take them. When he returned to his car at the end of the day there were three more pairs there.

That is an old joke usually reserved for the Chicago Cubs in September!

wolfeman131
07-19-2011, 02:54 PM
kane is from Chicago! probably where he picked up that joke.

kaneboats
07-19-2011, 03:15 PM
Actually, that joke originated on the south side of town. Of course they have been doing a little better than the Cubs this last hundred years or so.

rdlangston13
07-20-2011, 11:49 PM
Man its too bad I left Monday for work or else I would show you the town!

Go to Cha Chos Mexican restaurant and get a frozen Jack and Coke and some awesome nachos.

Go to Ruby Tequilas Mexican restaurant and get a sangria swirl margarita or a Dos Equis beer-rita.

Drink a Shiner Bock.

Go watch the astros at minute made park.

Go wakeboarding on the trinity river. Where all the pictures from the 2011 Texas Moomba Jam were taken.

Got to the Kema board walk and eat, ride a ride.

Drink another Shiner Bock.

Go to Katy and go to Mo's Place on a Thursday, Friday, or Saturday night.

Drink 10 Shiner Bocks.

Got to Sam Houston Raceway Park and bet on some horse races.

So visit the battleship Texas in San Jacinto as well as the San Jacinto monument. (San Jacinto is where we beat general Santa Anna and the Mexican army and won out independence.

kaneboats
07-21-2011, 10:02 AM
Love the Shiner Bock advice. If you see the Shiner Black Lager, give that a go too. May as well order them two at a time -- they are that good.

csm
07-21-2011, 02:07 PM
Love the Shiner Bock advice. If you see the Shiner Black Lager, give that a go too. May as well order them two at a time -- they are that good.

Shiner Black is so freakin good. That's my staple on beach trips.

WaterBullDawg1980
07-23-2011, 03:01 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys. Ended up being way too much work and little room for any sightseeing. Missed the Astros game bc we didn't realize the game last Wed was a day game. Ate at some place called Little Pappasito's Cantina that was actually pretty decent. Good atmosphere and probably had the best waitress I have ever had. Not one complaint.

I took a client out to lunch at The Houstonian's place downstairs. I believe the name was Olivette. TOP NOTCH. The entire establishment was A+. Can't say enough about this place. I had some seared gulf snapper which was some of the best I had ever had. The place itself is best described as an "old boys club" atmosphere. I wish I had stayed there but had no idea it was this nice. GREAT place for a client lunch. I am sure he would have been impressed except he had been there many times. At least he had tried just about everything on the menu so he knew what to suggest.

When I got there, it was mostly sunny with a high of 82 which was a welcome relief from the 95 I had come from in Atlanta. City was ok. I really didn't get to see enough of it to make any judgement. I will say that on the way to The Houstonian there are some NIIICE homes.

The only negative about the entire trip was the freeway system in Houston was among the worst I have ever seen. There are so many changes on the freeways that it drives you crazy. It's freeway, freeway, change to another freeway from the same freeway, pay a toll, change again, pay another toll, when they had access roads I could have been on to get to the same place 5 miles away instead of a freeway. But, it's not like it's much better in Atlanta. As a matter of fact, Houston traffic was MUCH better than the ATL, but the system would just take some getting used to.

Next time I am there I am going to check out some of the sites mentioned as I have a fairly good lay of the town now and know how long it will take to get to my clients.

Thanks for the insight fellas.

rdlangston13
07-23-2011, 04:09 PM
The only negative about the entire trip was the freeway system in Houston was among the worst I have ever seen. There are so many changes on the freeways that it drives you crazy. It's freeway, freeway, change to another freeway from the same freeway, pay a toll, change again, pay another toll, when they had access roads I could have been on to get to the same place 5 miles away instead of a freeway. But, it's not like it's much better in Atlanta. As a matter of fact, Houston traffic was MUCH better than the ATL, but the system would just take some getting used to.

Whaaaatt??? Its super easy freeway system! I45 runs north and south, I10 runs east and west. 610 is the inner loop, Beltway 8 is the outter loop. HWY59 runs diagonal North East to South West and that is pretty much it, there are a few other toll roads but that is the main shabang