PDA

View Full Version : rode a wakeboard on wakesurf wave

saskie99
07-19-2011, 11:07 AM
So last night I rode my wakeboard on my surf wave, now the board is kinda slow but I loved having my feet strapped in!! I was able to pop some big airs on the top and big grabs with 180s.
Does anybody know if there is a wakesurf board with bindings on it??
I am kinda contemplating strapping my wakeskate shoes to the board.

Comments??

dusty2221
07-19-2011, 11:09 AM
Wait...ropeless?

saskie99
07-19-2011, 11:11 AM
Yes, I am not a really big guy and I have the byerly monarch board which is super floaty and it was sloowww, i was on the gas all the time but I rode with out the rope.

harmsway
07-19-2011, 11:36 AM
Some of the 1st wakesurfers had straps. You can find them on ebay from time to time. They look nothing like the boards available today. I would imagine they are slow and don't cut very good.

kaneboats
07-19-2011, 11:46 AM
Kinda like the skurf boards the the straps on them.

dusty2221
07-19-2011, 11:48 AM
Maybe a new use for those old Skurfers!

Canuckle Head
07-19-2011, 12:27 PM
You mean like this:
http://www.northshoreinc.com/store/pc/catalog/sns4_1818_detail_2297_detail.jpg

Here is the link: http://www.northshoreinc.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=160

riderite
07-19-2011, 12:35 PM
Road my wake skate on the surf wake over the weekend and had a blast.. I was able to toss the board around just took a little more work then the surf board..

kaneboats
07-19-2011, 01:06 PM
I ran a google image search for "skurfer" to post a pic like that. No idea what happened but the results were SCARY!

saskie99
07-19-2011, 01:52 PM
I just think the airs and grabs are fun and it was just a new idea for surfing!

cab13367
07-19-2011, 02:18 PM
Some of the 1st wakesurfers had straps. You can find them on ebay from time to time. They look nothing like the boards available today. I would imagine they are slow and don't cut very good.

I think you are talking about the first wakeboard which looked like a surfboard with foot straps on it. I still have mine, an O'Brien Bonzai board which is similar to the Skurfer. I believe the first wakesurf boards were ocean surfboards that surfers started using behind boats and was the birth of wakesurfing.

The pic that Canuckle posted above is more for tow in surfing and kiteboarding than wakesurfing. At least I have never seen boards with straps used for wakesurfing. Having no straps allows you to shift your feet forward when you fall behind and also allows for advanced tricks that straps would prohibit.

Just my two cents but an interesting experiment nonetheless. Next time we go out, I am going to have my son surf using my original wakeboard. That would be fun to see!

Al

Replicant
07-19-2011, 02:54 PM
I ran a google image search for "skurfer" to post a pic like that. No idea what happened but the results were SCARY!

Scary? As in not family friendly or as in this is what happens to your knee, femur, hip, etc when one of the two straps pulls out of the Skurfer when you least want it to? I think the founder of Skurfer was sued into oblivion due to all the injuries reported. My old Skurfer sits in my parents barn. I don't even let the kids near it.

kaneboats
07-19-2011, 03:19 PM
Not family or straight dude friendly. Go ahead and try it. I did google image search on skurfer and tried to click on a photo. It was really small. So I selected large in the left column -- LOL -- that's what came up.

cmtaylor777
07-19-2011, 08:31 PM
I remember seeing some boards with straps on it on the Walker web site. It was a picture of one of the newer carbon fiber boards. Not sure if that is common but I was a little surprised to see it on a high end board.

you da man
07-19-2011, 09:28 PM
This post is worthless without video :p

KG's Supra24
07-19-2011, 10:07 PM
This post is worthless without video :p

Agreed! I'm intrigued.

saskie99
07-20-2011, 11:23 AM
well if I would have read this before I went to the lake last night I would have taken a video of it, but now it is storming here. I wont be back out in the boat till friday night. I will take a little video of it and post it here!

saskie99
07-20-2011, 05:46 PM
Well, I went to my buddies sports store and did some digging around and was able to come up with this beauty old skool wakeboard bindings that I am gonna strap with hockey skate laces to my hyperlite swell surf board this weekend! I will let you know how it goes and take some video and pictures. I am just using laces before I make a real changes to the board!
i think this may be a ton of fun!!
Here is a pic of one of the bindings

08LSV
08-15-2011, 02:12 AM

Must have had your search filter set to "off".... What have you been looking at.....

jmvotto
08-15-2011, 08:02 AM
Well, I went to my buddies sports store and did some digging around and was able to come up with this beauty old skool wakeboard bindings that I am gonna strap with hockey skate laces to my hyperlite swell surf board this weekend! I will let you know how it goes and take some video and pictures. I am just using laces before I make a real changes to the board!
i think this may be a ton of fun!!
Here is a pic of one of the bindings

can't see this pic. new site is still off a bit.