PDA

View Full Version : XLV access -- floor and bilge

Ian Brantford
07-19-2011, 09:35 AM
Howdy. I am trying to replace my steering cable. Two obstacles:

1. Pulling up the floor. I have removed the screws that enter from the side compartments. The central floor cover is still solidly attached. What is required to get this up?

2. Bilge access. What is your best way to do work at the bottom of the bilge area? I think that I'll stand in a storage compartment and stoop over. The side access hatches aren't helping. Kneeling on a storage door looses one quickly-tiring hand to holding me up on the far side of the engine compartment. Is there an easier way?

Ian Brantford
07-19-2011, 10:27 PM
Bump. I still cannot get the floor panels up in my XLV. Any hints? Bueller?

murraymoomba
07-19-2011, 10:29 PM
I'm interested also. I could not get the floor up in our Outback V.

Canuckle Head
07-19-2011, 10:41 PM
I have removed the floor of my Outback V. Did you find the side screws located under the rear port side seating area? Also, don't forget to remove the carpet insert located on the rear vertical surface that is situated above the V drive access cover. Took me a bit to figure that one out!

Once you get the insert out the whole floor should lift up from the back end of the boat. You may also find that the front edge of the floor gets stuck under the helm so once you have it lifted up a quick tug back towards the back of the boat should free it up and voila!

Let me know if this makes sense or not and I'll go take a picture. And as far as the XLV goes I haven't the foggiest. Sorry Ian!

you da man
07-19-2011, 11:04 PM
When I asked about accessing the space under the gas tank to clean the bilge area my dealer (South Austin Marine) said, "you'll have to take half the boat apart"...customer service at it's finest.

murraymoomba
07-19-2011, 11:07 PM
I thought I had removed all of the screws, around the edge. I could get it to move a little but it seemed like it was glued or something else was holding it.

Canuckle Head
07-19-2011, 11:14 PM
murraymoomba, there are 2 screws that come in from the side into the floor from under the port side rear seat. Those and the carpet filler need to come out and then it should lift up no problem. Remove the seat cushion and then feel along the side of the wall that faces the floor and you will find 2 screws.

Ian Brantford
07-20-2011, 09:09 AM
I have removed the floor of my Outback V. Did you find the side screws located under the rear port side seating area?

I did. It's a good thing that I looked before breakfast before putting myself upside down to look in there. I haven't removed everything from that side yet. I took everything out from the starboard side and thought that I'd be able to pull up a corner. Nope. It seems like it's glued down, even though it's visibly not very snug to the next surface.

Also, don't forget to remove the carpet insert located on the rear vertical surface that is situated above the V drive access cover. Took me a bit to figure that one out!

If you are talking about the firewall, yes, the XLV has that extending down to the back edge of the middle floor section, However, it does not appear to be fastened at the bottom and I can just shove it back a bit so that it does not restrain the rear corners of the flooring. No luck there either.

Once you get the insert out the whole floor should lift up from the back end of the boat. You may also find that the front edge of the floor gets stuck under the helm so once you have it lifted up a quick tug back towards the back of the boat should free it up and voila!

Let me know if this makes sense or not and I'll go take a picture. And as far as the XLV goes I haven't the foggiest. Sorry Ian!

Ian Brantford
07-27-2011, 09:44 PM
I am getting increasingly desperate for some help here. It is not practical to return to the dealer (5 hour drive away). A long weekend is approaching and this steering isn't getting any better by itself. I have the replacement cable sitting here. There is a Malibu dealer who will work on it after the long weekend, but I am not confident in how they might have to improvise on an unfamiliar boat. I want a procedure that is either from the factory or from someone who's done it on an XLV. Please!

I don't plan to contact the dealer because I expect to get the same "take half the boat apart" answer.

I sent email to Skier's Choice but got no reply. Can someone at least post the phone number for some support here?

Thanks in advance.

DOCDRS
07-27-2011, 10:00 PM
have any pics? I know they had to take the drivers seat out to get the floor up in my 21V

jmvotto
07-27-2011, 10:49 PM
murraymoomba, there are 2 screws that come in from the side into the floor from under the port side rear seat. Those and the carpet filler need to come out and then it should lift up no problem. Remove the seat cushion and then feel along the side of the wall that faces the floor and you will find 2 screws.

ditto on what canuckle said. mine came out easywith a lite tugging at the front. driver seat should be removed.