PDA

View Full Version : Shrink Wrap Chaffing

EasyE
07-18-2011, 10:48 PM
Hi everyone one. After years of dreaming about owning a Moomba I finally bought a 2002 Outback LS (black) with about 70 Hours on it :D. It was in California and had to be shipped to the midwest where I live. I went out to cali and checked out the boat before I bought it and the black hull was in perfect condition. They shrink wrapped it before they shipped it to me, however in transit some nosy state trooper decided he wanted to take off part of the shrink wrap and search the boat. After that the boat made was pulled half way across the country with the shrink wrap flapping all over the place. After i pulled the shrink wrap and tape off I thought it was just residue, but after hours of trying goo off, acetone many different cleaners and lots of elbow grease I am pretty sure that I am dealing with a chaffing instead of a residue. I have searched the forum and have found threads dealing with removing scratches and shining up dull hulls, but no advice for this type of scenario. It is pretty much all the way around the boat, but more in the rear. Being a black hull it is bugging me like crazy. Any advice on how to bring this hull back to show room status? Thanks

kaneboats
07-19-2011, 09:51 AM
You will have to gently wetsand and then use rubbing compound and polishing compound with a buffer, then wax.

EasyE
07-20-2011, 01:49 PM
Ok, I will give that a go. A quick wetsand followed by the meguiars m4965 kit with an random orbital buffer. I am going to order the stuff today. Hopefully this is something that someone with no experience can do. I have ready that a novice is safe going with the random orbital buffer. Thanks

kaneboats
07-20-2011, 01:51 PM
Check out the link I posted in this thread:

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=15758

EasyE
08-09-2011, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the advice. Everything worked out perfect. I have only done one side so far, but it looks like a mirror now. I hit it with a 2000 grit wetsand, then buffed it with Meguiars #49 oxidation remover compound, then polished with #45 polish, then waxed with #56 pure wax. Hopefully next weekend I can find another 6 hours to do the other side.

kaneboats
08-10-2011, 09:50 AM
I'm glad to hear it's going well. Congrats on the boat! Please post up some pics of the finished product.

chawk610
08-12-2011, 09:19 AM
I know you are getting it fixed... which is great... but it seems the shipping company might be somewhat responsible... their load must be secured. I feel for ya... this would p*ss me off!

moombadaze
08-12-2011, 05:54 PM
i dont see fault with the shipper, it was when it was partly undune from the cop that caused the problem