PDA

View Full Version : ignition problem

pfiduccia
07-18-2011, 09:54 PM
Yesterday While out at the lake my boat died. I had power to everything on the dash but could not get the ignition to fire, it did not crank at all. I traced all the wiring and everything seemed fine. I just went out and checked the breaker by the battery and that didnt work. I am at a complete loss and am not sure where to start???? anyone have this problem????

viking
07-18-2011, 11:41 PM
you probably already checked but make sure that it is in neutral. One of my kids bumped the throttle handle just enough that it was not and I tore the boat apart one day for 1/2 hour trying to trouble shoot the problem on the water before I realized what had happened. It wasn't off by much either.

WaterBullDawg1980
07-19-2011, 12:11 AM
Could be the starter. Has it ever had water up to it for any period of time? If it has, it will cause it to rust and corrode and be pretty useless.

I actually had this problem and ended up taking the entire starter apart, cleaning the armature, bushings and a few other parts with some electrical connector cleaner a tooth brush and some sandpaper and it was as good as new when I put it back in.

Are you getting a click at all?

casmith71
07-19-2011, 01:12 AM
this happened to me and it was the ignition switch. $15 part. if you "hotwire" it and it turns over it is the switch.

i also had the barely bumped into gear issue last year. took me a little longer than 30min lol.

WaterBullDawg1980
07-19-2011, 11:35 AM
How do you hotwire it? I've heard of this in the past but never understood exactly how it worked.

kaneboats
07-19-2011, 11:45 AM
Easy as pie. There's a couple wires on the back of the ig switch. One is "run" circuit; the other is "start". You close the "run" and touch the "start" till the motor is on.

pfiduccia
07-20-2011, 08:54 AM
I am not getting a click at all. I am going to by a voltage meter and see if i can locate the source. Is it hard to get at the starter and selenoid? I have an 04 Moomba LSV with the V drive.