PDA

View Full Version : Bent strut/prop.

bscheuny
07-17-2011, 08:36 PM
Yesterday I took out my 99 outback for a day at the beach and when I was pulling a tube i noticed some vibration out of the hole and cornering when the tube whipped out and put a lot of pull on the boat. Either way I came to the conclusion that it was cavitation of the prop. Well that is my guess from hearing cavitation on the large pumps i work with. Anywho I pulled the prop and it was definitely out of wack(not sure from what) but the main thing i noticed is that the strut looked out of wack as well. Looking at the alignment of the strut to the rudder I can see it is supposed to be offset due to it is bolted to the hull offset. Either way the main question I am trying to get at is where i can find a replacement strut and what part number I need. I cannot find a part number on the strut, all i can find is the moomba logo.

DOCDRS
07-17-2011, 10:36 PM
check your engine propshaft alignment at the coupler to see if its bent

kaneboats
07-18-2011, 10:29 AM
Here's some advice: Do everything Doc above says, exactly the way he says and you'll save money and be back on the water.

harmsway
07-18-2011, 10:13 PM
I also had crazy growling and vibration under hard acceleration and pulls. Thought I had a bent shaft, checked alignment, then checked shaft with dial indicator and found no problems. Replaced the stock 3 blade prop with a four blade, it was night and day. No growl no vibration, so much smoother though out the full speed and pull range. If you don't find anything wrong with alignment you might try a different prop.

bscheuny
07-19-2011, 06:38 AM
I also had crazy growling and vibration under hard acceleration and pulls. Thought I had a bent shaft, checked alignment, then checked shaft with dial indicator and found no problems. Replaced the stock 3 blade prop with a four blade, it was night and day. No growl no vibration, so much smoother though out the full speed and pull range. If you don't find anything wrong with alignment you might try a different prop.

It bought a prop on eBay... just so happened to be a four blade and low and behold I got burnt, now I am working with eBay to get my money back. I am taking the prop to the prop shop today to get repaired and as well as seeing what they have for 4 blade used props. I would love to get this girl back on the water Sunday but it is not.looking like it.

harmsway
07-19-2011, 11:14 AM
Eric at OJ props helped me pick out the correct prop for what we were trying to accomplish. You might give him a call and he can get you going.

bscheuny
07-20-2011, 09:24 PM
Well i got the strut off and the shaft is not bent which makes it that much better. I took the prop and strut to murphy's prop shop here in norfolk and it is going to be around 200 to get the prop and stut straighted and new bushings. a lot less than what i was expecting.

DOCDRS
07-20-2011, 09:27 PM
Well i got the strut off and the shaft is not bent which makes it that much better. I took the prop and strut to murphy's prop shop here in norfolk and it is going to be around 200 to get the prop and stut straighted and new bushings. a lot less than what i was expecting.

glad things are workin out for ya