PDA

View Full Version : Alpine SPR M70 or Exile cabins

morgan040
07-17-2011, 02:10 PM
I have 150 watts RMS to run to each channel for the 2 speakers in the bow of the boat. I'm wondering if that is too much power for the exiles or if I should get some separates like the alpines.

Anyone know of a good marine speaker capable of 150 watts RMS?? What would you guys suggest. I'm really liking the Exile stuff so far but I'm not sure the cabins they have can handle that much power???

MLA
07-17-2011, 06:00 PM
I have no worries with 150W to the Exile SX65c, but im not a fan of mixing brands in the cabin or on the tower. Each speaker designer/builder has a unique signature and this can be heard when different brands of speakers are played together.

If you will be refitting the main cabin in the near future, then go with what you like the look and sound of. Since you are considering components in the 150W power handling range, Try and get a listen to the Kicker KM6250.2 components. They will absolutely shine with 150W.

Razzman
07-17-2011, 06:44 PM
The Exiles are rated 125w rms. Personally I'd run the Exiles as they are marine rated. Well it may be rated 150rms, but that would have to be ideal/perfect conditions and your not going to run the amp at full gain anyway, unless you want trouble that is.

Also think about this, that much power in the bow is a waste of time anyway imo as it's an isolated zone so to speak and doesn't play/blend well with the rest of the system anyway. Also curious why you have a dedicated amp to the bow?

I run Polk MoMo MMC650s in the cabins and even with the Exile 800.4 turned down they are more than enough in the bow I think. They are rated at 80w rms.

morgan040
07-17-2011, 10:30 PM
I dont have a dedicated amp to the bow, I have the JL M6450, so I am running 4 of the in cabin speakers at 2 Ohms so I am only using 2 channels of that amp for this, I can now bridge the other 4 channels in to 2 channels ( Bow Speakers) that is rated at 150 watts per channel, so I am debating what speakers to buy, I will probably be replacing them all with Exile just because of how happy I am with the rest of thier equipment.

cab13367
07-18-2011, 12:51 AM
I dont have a dedicated amp to the bow, I have the JL M6450, so I am running 4 of the in cabin speakers at 2 Ohms so I am only using 2 channels of that amp for this, I can now bridge the other 4 channels in to 2 channels ( Bow Speakers) that is rated at 150 watts per channel, so I am debating what speakers to buy, I will probably be replacing them all with Exile just because of how happy I am with the rest of thier equipment.

So if I understand you correctly, you are running the 4 rear in boat speakers in parallel at 2 ohms, being driven by 2 channels off the JL M6450, and you are bridging the other 4 channels to drive the two bow speakers at 4 ohms. The JL M6450 is rated 75W RMS @ 2 ohms so each of your rear speakers are getting half that (37.5W RMS) while your bow speakers are getting 150W RMS each.

So this begs the question: why?? Why not just run each speaker at 4 ohms for an even 45W RMS for each speaker?

Brianinpdx
07-18-2011, 03:53 AM
I'd agree with Al on this one... why do you have it hooked up like this. Morgan, give me a call and lets go over it. I think you still have my contact info?

-Brian
Exile Audio

EarmarkMarine
07-18-2011, 03:23 PM
The JL Audio M6450 when rated like virtually every other amplifier, which would be at 14.4 volts, is 6x70 watts at 4-ohms and 6x110 watts at 2-ohms. This is "continuous power" and not "peak" or "dynamic" power.
Once put to task, at 660 total potential watts, the M6450 is within <less than> 1 dB of output as compared to some of the larger 4-channel amplifiers, if they are also rated with a 14.4 volt supply.
The JL Audio M6450 should be run in the six-channel mode at 4-ohms with a dedicated channel going to each of six in-boat coaxials. Remember that you still have a 660 watt power supply in reserve so the amplifier will be running conservatively, much cleaner and with extra dynamic headroom versus loading the amplifier down in a more compressed 2-ohm or bridged senerio. The amplifier will also run more efficient and cooler. This is a big amplifier so don't under-estimate it, especially when dedicated to purely a highpass application.
For a comparison example, a 4x150 watt at 2-ohms 4-channel amplifier would deliver the same 75 watts to each of the four cockpit coaxials and once you gain the bow speakers to a similar amplitude given the size of the bow you will be effectively running the identical power to these bow speakers as the individual cockpit speakers. So in a 4-channel amplifier you would be taxing the power supply more by running two channels at a 2-ohm load to arrive at 5 more watts per speaker when it would take at least 25 more watts per speaker to discern the most finite difference...in a perfect 'quiet' room.
So keep the JL Audio amplifier in the scheme and run it in the six channel mode. You have zero to gain by any other method.

David
Earmark Marine