PDA

View Full Version : Gator Grip

weirdo0521
07-14-2011, 03:35 PM
Decided to finally replace swim platform pad with Gator Grip. Any tips on ordering, and installation on a 2002 Outback LS?

SC Ink
07-14-2011, 07:03 PM
Why Gator Grip?

It's hard to cut and most installs don't exactly look like they have been done by a professional.

I had a sample of the stuff once. It never made it on the platform - in fact it went out with the garbage.

Look into SeaDek. Spend the extra $$ and get it done right the 1st time.

newty
07-15-2011, 01:08 AM
hydroturf.com has a lot more selection and is a little easier to work with.

Hoopskier
07-15-2011, 04:50 PM
I have a SeaDek pad on my platform. I also have some Hydroturf in other areas of my boat. Both are nice. I would recommend SeaDek for the platform. Good colors, patterns, and its already shaped-less work.

Hydro turf is nice too. Not as thick as Seadek. Can cut with a good scissors. If you take some sand paper to the edge it will really smooth out prior to application.

No experience with Gator Grip.

I would recommend making a template prior to removing the old material though.

bergermaister
07-15-2011, 05:14 PM
Hydro turf is nice too. Not as thick as Seadek

Are there different variations? I just put some hydroturf on my trailer for that is a good 1/4" thick. I think it's a bit rougher to the touch than seadek though. I always thought seadek was a little spongy.

Hoopskier
07-16-2011, 12:00 PM
Berg- Your right, hydro turf is about 1/4" thick but the Seadek platform pad is a little thicker, about 1-2 milimeter. It had to do with the two colors on the platform pad.

Canuckle Head
07-16-2011, 01:16 PM
Newty has got me thinking about replacing the carpet with Seadek on the removable floor portion of my OBV.

I think it would be better than the carpet and would be easier to clean. The only negative thing I can think of is that you would see the dirty foot prints when people are getting in and out of the boat.

The only way that I can think of mitigating this would be to go with a dark colour but you can only choose between storm gray or black. Wish there was something in between the two like a charcoal or titanium.

usaski1
07-19-2011, 08:19 AM
Any Pics of Hydroturf? Im close to replacing my swim step pad with either Seadek or Hydroturf. Seadeck is selling uncut pieces for about $140.. thats quite a bit cheaper than the 240 for a custom cut one, and it might arive sooner. Would be more work, but my pad is in three pieces, shouldn't be that hard. Peel the old pad off and use as a template.

Hoopskier
07-19-2011, 10:51 AM
usaski1-if you go to the hydroturf website, they will send you some samples for free if you request them (or they used to, not sure if they still do). They have lots of options for colors and textures. Check this thread for some pics of mine.
https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=13084&highlight=seadek+hydroturf

Also you will want to make a template before you pull the old stuff off, it will stretch and deform.

BLKOUTLS
07-19-2011, 11:25 AM
I put Gator on my 02 ls in 04 or 05 and it is breaking down. I went with black and white.
I did a large strip on the transom to protect it and its starting to change. I also put two strips on either gunnel side aprox 2 1/2 feet long as stepping points and the whole material is starting to disinegrate. I would guess exposure to the sun and cleaners over time have taken their toll.

viking
07-19-2011, 07:29 PM
usaski1-if you go to the hydroturf website, they will send you some samples for free if you request them (or they used to, not sure if they still do). They have lots of options for colors and textures. Check this thread for some pics of mine.
https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=13084&highlight=seadek+hydroturf

Also you will want to make a template before you pull the old stuff off, it will stretch and deform.

I tried contacting them twice to request some samples to no avail. Went with seadek instead. Higher price but They are johnny on the spot and good quality.

ryan_8099
09-01-2011, 01:42 PM
Does anyone have any pictures of using gator grip? How easy was it to cut to size etc. Looking for a cheaper alternative to seadek.

New Guy
09-01-2011, 04:00 PM
I'll try to take some this weekend.

WaterBullDawg1980
09-02-2011, 12:46 AM
So does seadek have a template that I could give a try? How much for this any how?

ryan_8099
09-02-2011, 09:07 AM
WaterBull, I don't think that seadek has actual templates, but if you have a model boat that they make the custom ones for you can look at the measurements here: http://www.seadekstore.com/moomba.aspx

$240 is a little steep for us, but for $140 you can just buy a large pad and cut it to size: http://www.seadekstore.com/largesheet-39inx77in-5mm.aspx
We were planning to make a template out of paper or something similar and then cut it to size.

For $100 we can get gator grip from wakejunky.com which is even a better deal. In my opinion it doesn't look quite as nice unless you get black, which I have been told to stay away from at all costs. We will likely go with this option in the white/gray depending on the feedback we ge

wolfeman131
09-02-2011, 09:12 AM
I've seen/felt both side by side and would suggest that you save some pennies and get the seadek.

kaneboats
09-02-2011, 11:10 AM
Does anyone have any pictures of using gator grip? How easy was it to cut to size etc. Looking for a cheaper alternative to seadek.

I have had both. Put the Seadek on the LSV and have been extremely happy with it. It's worth the money. I did put the gator grip on the platform of my Outback a couple of years ago. I was happy with the result. I removed the old stuff and cleaned it. Then, on the living room floor, I laid out the gator grip and traced the platform on the back side of it. You can cut it with a big scissors. Practice on an edge so you get the feel of it before you cut the real thing. Tape one end in place then peel the back of the other end and stick it down. Remove the tape on the first end and stick that down. Get it right the first time-- you only get one chance.

I'm sorry but I could only find one pic that even shows my gator grip. It's on the navy blue outback behind Moombadaze in this pic from the Tampa Jam in 2009. It is gray and white and matched the interior very well:

http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee356/kaneboats/IMG_0730.jpg

yearround
09-02-2011, 11:25 AM
i put gator grip on the deck and a couple spots on the gunwale. has been on our 08 lsv for almost 3 years and very happy with it.

ryan_8099
09-02-2011, 01:57 PM
Thanks for all the info and pictures. I love the white/blue on yours yearround, it matches great. I don't think they offer any different color combinations anymore...at least on wakejunky.com

E4NASH
09-10-2012, 01:29 PM
Ordered some of this stuff today. I rode in an X-Star over the weekend that had this on the gunwales and to protect the transom. Looked and felt pretty good. The $100 price is also MUCH better than the $240 and up to 5 week delivery time for Seadek. I have already pulled my old mat off so I will use that was my template. With the factory mat off it made me realize how much better a solid black swim deck looks with my black accent color than the gray it came with or the gray I would've gotten from SeaDek. I just hope the black won't eventually lead to the notorious black marks that the old Moomba pads had. Mine is kept in covered storage safe from the elements so hopefully that will help keep it good. I just hope it doesn't peel back like the SeaDek and factory mat did.

New Guy
09-10-2012, 02:48 PM
I installed it on the floor and platform.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?18615-Getting-Lazy&highlight=lazy

E4NASH
09-13-2012, 06:39 PM

Ordered a roll of Gator Grip on Monday and it came in the mail today! Llike I said I would...I used my old pad as a template, cut it out and stuck it on. Looks really good and for $100 shipped to my door in 3 days much better than $240 and five weeks for Seadek and $215 for the OEM pad from the dealer. I have a ton left too. I'll probably make a transom saver and maybe put some on the trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moombadaze
09-13-2012, 07:14 PM
Erick, your right-looks good in black

wolfeman131
09-13-2012, 10:08 PM
were you able to do it as a single piece?

E4NASH
09-13-2012, 10:31 PM
Yep, sure was. It was PERFECT. Had a little on the sides to spare.

wolfeman131
09-13-2012, 10:42 PM
Looks great! Will be interested to hear if it's hot on your feet.

KRAK
09-14-2012, 12:35 AM
Just a crazy thought.... Keep the bags full and the platform will be under water! Then it won't have a chance to get hot!

Boonejeepin
09-14-2012, 12:44 AM
Just a crazy thought.... Keep the bags full and the platform will be under water! Then it won't have a chance to get hot!

Excellent point!

kaneboats
09-14-2012, 09:15 AM
Yeah, keep us updated on it. I'm interested to hear how the black holds up in the sun, etc. I put the grey/white stuff on my Outback platform and thought it did very well. I really like the black on your boat.

E4NASH
09-14-2012, 09:43 AM

We'll be testing this out tomorrow.

New Guy
09-14-2012, 09:55 AM
Black on Black looks awesome!

E4NASH
09-14-2012, 11:33 AM
Black on Black looks awesome!

Thanks! I agree...it looks so much better!

This is the same pic but uploaded from my PC so the quality is better:

Why Gator Grip?

It's hard to cut and most installs don't exactly look like they have been done by a professional.

I had a sample of the stuff once. It never made it on the platform - in fact it went out with the garbage.

Look into SeaDek. Spend the extra $$ and get it done right the 1st time.

I found that it was really easy to cut. I used an exacto Knife with a new blade and it cut right through it. I cut on the back side...easy peezy.

E4NASH
09-16-2012, 03:14 PM

Went out yesterday and the verdict is that it is definitely not hot and it feels GREAT on your feet.