PDA

View Full Version : Found me a new boarding buddy

walb0244
07-14-2011, 06:32 AM
This is my wife's cousin. This was only his 4th time out on a wakeboard. He went one afternoon with me and it was his first time ever on anything on the water besides a intertube. So the first day he was doing good. He started carving and such. Well about the 4th time he went out with me he pulled this shot off. I was pretty impressed. For him to be 13 and doing that on his 4th trip out. This was at about 18 mph and he landed in the middle of the wakes. On a later date I pulled him at 20 mph and he landed about 3/4 of the way across. I'm still working on his toeside edge and his progressive edge but I think we are getting somewhere. On our last trip out he started riding switch and doing surface 180's behind the boat.

A couple questions I have are is there anything different you do with a 13 year old then with adults? I mean right now he is riding the same rope as me and actually even riding my 138 board. So wasn't sure if with a kid you suppose to use a shorter rope or what. Only difference right now is he is riding at 20 and I ride at 22 mph.

rdlangston13
07-14-2011, 12:38 PM
i wish i started boarding at 13!!! i might actually be decent by now

bergermaister
07-14-2011, 01:03 PM
I'd say that it has more to do with his size - height/weight - for speed and rope length. I typically run a little slower with the kids 18-20mph. I'd guess they are high 4's to low 5's ft tall and range from 100-150lbs. Typically they're all scared to death of any ballast (sissies!) so I've tried adjusting where they cross for a cleaner wake using shorter/longer rope instead.

cab13367
07-14-2011, 02:48 PM
A couple questions I have are is there anything different you do with a 13 year old then with adults? I mean right now he is riding the same rope as me and actually even riding my 138 board. So wasn't sure if with a kid you suppose to use a shorter rope or what. Only difference right now is he is riding at 20 and I ride at 22 mph.

I pull them up much slower as they don't need near the pull the we do to get up. Also, I would shorten his rope a little to get him on the clean part of the wake as well as alllow him to start landing wake to wake sooner. He should also be riding more like a 132-134 if you are looking to get him a board.

schuylski
07-15-2011, 02:40 PM
I really like the approach of shortening the rope to make W2W easy... like way short so it's a piece of cake...almost in the rooster tail. Then he gets an idea of the feel of landing on the downslope of the wake and it's also encouraging to be able to do it. Then move him back when he's ready to try for more. Slalom rope makes this easy with all the sections, without that it's more difficult.

Shooter
07-15-2011, 03:20 PM
I'm not anywhere near a good enough boarder to offer any advice but would like to say how awesome that is. I like to see the kids getting involved and enjoying it. He must really have some natural talent for it. Do you have any video of him?

walb0244
07-16-2011, 07:18 PM
I'll give shortening the roe up a try. The last time we went out he cleared 3/4 of the wake. A problem I have sometimes is when I am boarding especially is getting people to level the boat so the wake is level and the same. I'll try and pay attention to that next time to see where he is and if the wake looks good. Another thing is he doesn't always pay attention to the boat yet and wether or not I'm turning. Been a few times he has edged out wide when I was turning around and gotten slack. So he still learning. I have a blast teaching him. My wife is pregnant now so o can't wait to teach my own in a few years.

I do have video but don't have it on yet. But I will upload it soon.

Inliner
08-13-2011, 07:01 AM
Jumping on a bungee cord (slalom rope) can create problems on take-off causing them to be off-kilter at the start and it also can slow speed coming into the wake since it doesn't transfer to speed as well. Also if they are sliding up it will create problems as the rope stretches and then bungees as the board releases. A face plant landing can turn some kids off since the headache after the crash is something one will remember for a long time. It's a hard way to learn. Work on the progressive edge and keeping the handle in position on the shortest line you can. They will get it in time. They will freak at first at the larger wake. When I load for jumping my noobs generally stare at the wake for 10 minutes before they will even cross it! I generally don't load for me to jump if noobs are learning. But once they are trashed, the big boys get to play!

Martin Jr
08-13-2011, 07:34 AM
I would suggest learning to go w2w by training with a Wakekite.

once you hit one wake you are lifted up, you control the direction you want to go and you land like a feather.

mmandley
08-13-2011, 09:51 AM
I would suggest learning to go w2w by training with a Wakekite.

once you hit one wake you are lifted up, you control the direction you want to go and you land like a feather.

I cant beleave your actualy telling someone who is learning to Wakeboard to use a Wake Kite to learn to go Wake to Wake. For the last 2 years you have been trying to sell that Kite and every time someone asks to use it, or if its been used, or even hints and maybe buying it you shoot them down saying they have to be an Experienced Wake boarder.

You absolutly cannot learn to go Wake to Wake with a Wake kite. Its way to dangerous as there is more involved then just hitting the wake with a kite on you and flying over to the next wake. The kite has to be controled and someone new isnt going to under stand how to land and that kite is going to have them higher in the air and comming down from a higher hight.

Man Ed i just cant believe you sugested that after all the other people to tell No to.

walb0244
08-13-2011, 09:57 AM
I really like the approach of shortening the rope to make W2W easy... like way short so it's a piece of cake...almost in the rooster tail. Then he gets an idea of the feel of landing on the downslope of the wake and it's also encouraging to be able to do it. Then move him back when he's ready to try for more. Slalom rope makes this easy with all the sections, without that it's more difficult.

I don't use a slalom rope. I use the same rope as I use while wakeboarding which is sixty feet. I've learned a way to tie it on learnwake that allows me to shorten it to what ever length I want. I use to use a short ski rope but I had a adult one time hold on to the rope too long and the rope sling shotted past my head and over the front. So now I just shorten my ski rope so I don't have to worry about getting hit.

Martin Jr
08-13-2011, 10:30 AM
relax Mike, a wise consumer will do the research and decide for themself if it is for them or not.

I'd give this same sales pitch to my grandmother.

basic requirements for this kite...rider should be 135 lbs and up and an intermediate rider.

As written in the Wakekite manual: "Beginners should use extreme caution".

How about you, Mike? Bet you would enjoy this thing! For today only, I'm selling Kite and amp for $850.00!!! See classifieds.

to answer your comments:

"every time someone asks to use it," >> nope, never had anyone wanting to use it

"or if its been used," >> nope, never been used

"or even hints and maybe buying it" >> nope, never had anyone wanting to buy it - yet

"you shoot them down saying they have to be an Experienced Wake boarder. " >> Only Moombadaze because he doesn't wakeboard at all.

Inliner
08-18-2011, 06:07 AM
I don't use a slalom rope. I use the same rope as I use while wakeboarding which is sixty feet. I've learned a way to tie it on learnwake that allows me to shorten it to what ever length I want. I use to use a short ski rope but I had a adult one time hold on to the rope too long and the rope sling shotted past my head and over the front. So now I just shorten my ski rope so I don't have to worry about getting hit.

Believe it or not Walb I have actually launched in the air on a wake skate slide pull up as the nylon rope stretches and recoils on the board's release. That's why I always use static line on wake boards and wake skates. You are probably using the same method I do if I need to shorten the line. It's an old school trick I learned from show skiing.

As for learning W2W on a wake kite, the physics of it is completely different. If you put your handle over your head on a wake-to-wake you are dead meat. The rider is also required to put more power down in the progressive edge and "pop" the board as it comes off the top of the wake. No comparison whatsoever. You learn it on a wake kite but it won't transfer over to an unassisted w2w.