PDA

View Full Version : Different Types of Wakesurf Boards

Lawdog
07-14-2011, 01:05 AM
With all these great deals out there on wakesurf boards I'm wondering what the different types are. Right now I only have my Hyperlite Broadcast and my brother-in-laws LF Fish. My daughter has a Phase 5 Scamp. I was just looking at Berger's Inland Surfer board and it looks pretty nice. And then there is the LakeWakes group buy and those seem like nice boards as well. I've been thinking about getting a Phase 5. In looking at the Phase 5 they seem really thin in comparison to my BIL's LF Fish. What does the traditional surf board type wakesurf board do vs. the Phase 5 thin type boards? I want to be able to play further back in the pocket but my Broadcast just seems too slow. Thanks for any info.

Lawdog
07-14-2011, 12:08 PM
Let me simplify my question. What is the surf style boards generally used for versus the skim (I'm not sure what type they are called)?

sailing217
07-18-2011, 09:34 AM
Skims are much easier for surface tricks.

Surf style is for getting air and slayshing. Different fin configs that changes the board alot.

You can do everything on either style, just some tougher than others.

IMO, after a beginner board from a wakeboard company, inland surfer has a great line of intermediate boards. Their surf style boards tend to be fast down the line meaning just tilt your weight and shoot. Some highend boards are rail to rail and you can't cruise on it, you work it from side to side to generate speed. Inland are also more durable. My comparison is my several walker projects and Stixx to IS boards. I'd recommend Inland as the next step over the broadcast.

My skim boards are 4 of the Phase 5 boards. Yes the carbon is worth it.

Alot of things come into play like budget and stuff so opinions will vary. I've owned a bunch of boards and my intermediate crew either grabs the IS Blue lake or P5 Drew Carbon.

wolfeman131
07-18-2011, 12:50 PM
Skims are much easier for surface tricks.

Surf style is for getting air and slayshing. Different fin configs that changes the board alot.

You can do everything on either style, just some tougher than others.

good, short answer to a complex question.