PDA

View Full Version : '98 Boomarang fuel pump pressure

chris.lacy
07-13-2011, 09:17 PM
I replaced my non working fuel pump this spring but haven't used the boat much. I let my key on last weekend to find a dead batery the other day. Boosted it and got it running but no oil pressure?????? Doesn't just happen from sitting at the dock right? Not the guage, pulled distrib. and nothing obvious, noisy rockers WTF!!! pulled the motor, dropped the pan and accidently kicked and noticed how thin the remaining oil was hmmm... smelled the oil and full of gas. Must've filled the pan with fuel when I left the key on and mix was too thin to build any pressure. put her all back together and some new/thicker oil and BOOM... 60 psi oil press. So...does the new pump I put on have too much pressure and is it pushing past the needle and seat? Is it still doing thi snow as I drive it? I know the carb needs a rebuild but I guess my question is, does any one know what the fuel pump pressure should be for this boat?
Sorry to ramble on.
THANKS,
CHRIS.

AaronWhitt82
07-14-2011, 06:24 AM
If you are using the correct fuel pump (Carter P4389) it is a low pressure pump.
Max PSI is around 6PSI.
Also, the fuel pump should NOT run with just the key in "on" position.
The fuel pump should only kick on when the engine is being cranked and when the engine is running.
Hope this helps.

chris.lacy
07-14-2011, 06:43 AM
this makes sense but it looks like someone has done some rewiring work, not sure why. It does run when 'key on' soI must be missing a regulator or something to cut it out?
I will put the press. guage on it and ck. psi.
THANKS!

chris.lacy
07-14-2011, 06:46 AM
I am also not sure what pump it is. It is a carter and looks physically identical to the old one but....I live in Canada, northern Canada so nobody has even heard of this boat never mind carry the correct parts or have any knowledge on them.
THANKS again!

AaronWhitt82
07-15-2011, 02:57 AM
Check the safety switch which is located behind the distributor. It threads in to the motor and has a purple, red & orange wire that go to it.
If any of those wires are mixed up or not connected to the right prong on the safety switch it can cause the fuel pump to run with the key in on position.
I don't remember what wire goes where on it as I'll have to look at mine....