PDA

View Full Version : Possibly out for the season

sicktc06
07-13-2011, 11:02 AM
Well guys, looks like this guy, yeah this one right here, is done for the season. :( I took a real hard fall on Friday night on the water. Here's the story.

Thursday night, we went out with my buddy Edgar Perez, who's a pro wakeskater. He gave me tips on how to get more air on my W2W's because I was landing so far in the flats it's rediculous. So he let me out to 80 ft rope instead of 75. That felt amazing and I had so much height I freaked out some. haha! So The night ended Thursday on a good note. Friday, me and some friends decided to go riding again. Well, I threw a huge W2W and when I landed, I landed with the right knee locked. I felt it hyper-extend and knew something was immediately wrong. After sitting on the back of the boat throbbing around in pain, and even punching my buddy (who let me by the way), all I asked where the pictures were, and who's next?! haha!

I put ice on the knee but the swelling got so big that at dark, I told everyone I hated to be a party pooper for the night time throwdown, but I had to go get my leg looked at.

Turns out, I fractured my tibia plateau, and possibly slightly tore my ACL. That we do not know for sure yet until the MRI is done. The reason we say slightly tore is because my knee is still in place, my leg has almost full mobility, other than the fluid in my knee right now. So we shall see!

This is the second bone of MINE this board/bindings has broken, 3rd person it's injured in general. Is this a sign?!

My motto is staying as this - Go big and to the hospital, or go home! :D

Here's my W2W at 80 ft now. Granted, this is not the best one, I was quite worn out and tired at this point.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/263057_10150225871560684_706715683_7662035_5630715 _n.jpg

saskyrider
07-13-2011, 11:14 AM
now that sucks man!!! my first set of the year i sprained my ankle on a tantrum attempt... back foot released on the landing and the front stayed in.... i'm going to start surfing again this weekend but will prolly have to hold off another week before boarding again.

hope its a quick recovery!!!

Geoff

dusty2221
07-13-2011, 11:15 AM
Another one here in the sprained ankle camp. Crashed a 360 attempt a few weeks ago, immediate pain. I feel for ya. Hope the healing goes well!

you da man
07-13-2011, 11:26 AM
Going big and landing in the flats is cool every now and then but it takes a toll. I ride short line and just concentrate on learning jumps to land on the downside of the second wake. Granted a lot of jumps require landing in the flats but I'm not at that level. Good luck on the recovery.

harmsway
07-13-2011, 11:58 AM
Another one on the injured list. About 3 weeks ago hit a w2w and don't remember anything else. Landed top of the wake and fell backwards, blacked out, felt like my head popped off my shoulder, and ripped my stomach muscles. Wish a speeded recovery to :rolleyes:everyone.

bergermaister
07-13-2011, 11:59 AM
Sorry to hear that man! Sucks bad but you definitely don't want to mess around with knee problems that could haunt you the rest of your life. I spent this last Christmas in the hospital with a 3rd repeat of a knee injury and got the riot act (again) from the doctors. Ended up with an antibiotic line being run through my left bicep up into my chest to drip right above my heart for about a week.

Surfing is more and more inviting, or should I say less and less painful!

Hope you recover soon.

ian ashton
07-13-2011, 12:25 PM
I too can relate to the knee injury!
https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=12244

You reference the board, what are you riding?

lsvboombox
07-13-2011, 12:30 PM
sorry , that sucks.....

ps how fast were you riding at 80 feet?

sicktc06
07-13-2011, 02:43 PM
sorry , that sucks.....

ps how fast were you riding at 80 feet?

Thanks guys! I'm hopping around but my spirits aren't dampened! I might not ride the board anymore though... At least, THAT board. LOL!

you da man
07-13-2011, 03:17 PM
Another one on the injured list. About 3 weeks ago hit a w2w and don't remember anything else. Landed top of the wake and fell backwards, blacked out, felt like my head popped off my shoulder, and ripped my stomach muscles. Wish a speeded recovery to :rolleyes:everyone.

I did that last year. Heelside diggers hurt

rdlangston13
07-13-2011, 07:48 PM
haha, this is my second summer wakeboarding and i still have not hit a w2w and all this makes me unsure if i really want to or not

pickle311
07-15-2011, 12:01 PM
I went through the same thing last season. There's hope man, it may not be as bad as you think. I had the same feeling and the Dr said they thought my ACL was done. I ended up with a contusion to the joint which bruised the tib, fib, and femur, and a functional tear to the ACL. It took a solid 8 months for the pain to completely go away, but no surgery was needed. Best thing I did for my knee was get back in the gym a few months ago.

Good luck

sicktc06
07-19-2011, 10:45 PM
Update so far. I JUST got my MRI done today. I swear it sounded like space aliens were trying to fire lazer guns and their machine guns at me, but, I will find out on Monday what I've done. *Crosses fingers*

sicktc06
07-25-2011, 02:28 PM
Awesome news today from the Dr.! I didn't tear anything. No ligaments are bad, nothing. What happened was my tibia and my femur collided really violently when I landed with the stiff leg. they couldn't see for certain from the MRI but from the amount of swelling and blood fat in the area, they believe I had several microscopic fractures around the area where the bones are smooth and rounded to allow for movement against each other, and should be healed within the 6 week time frame, if they haven't already. Thats how small they would have been. He did tell me however, that he is worried how I will be holding up in about 15, 20, to 30 years if I keep this up. He told me to drop one crutch and start walking with the aide of one crutch. Then gradually drop it too and start walking. Swimming will help it and he asked if I go swimming. Of course, he stopped himself in the middle of that question. hahaha!

So it looks like i will be back boarding here in 3 to 4 weeks. I'm looking at knee braces though now for my leg. I've found the CTi OTS Knee Brace that I think I will see if I can get insurance to pay a portion of. Does anyone have any experience with knee braces?

Here's the brace below.
http://www.ossur.com/?PageID=13561

Moseley618
07-25-2011, 02:43 PM
I sell surgery equipment along with knee braces. My suggestion is to try and get a custom one. The Dr will need to write a script for a custom brace. Then you will have to find a DME on PT place to bill it to your insurance. Most insurance co. do not like to pay for custom braces so you will have to claim a miss match. For instance, your thigh is a different frame size than your calf or your knee offset is to small or to large for an off-the-shelf. The customs fit better and have a longer warranty and are easier to get replacement parts. As far as different brands they all have good and bad points. CTi is a very popular one with snow sports and water sports but overall they have a tiny market share. The thing you should remember is they all work or they would not be on the market very long so pick one that you have good local service and support.

Sabe
07-25-2011, 03:26 PM
Sorry to hear about the injuries, I've been off for a few weeks after trying a Raley and ending up with a Concusion. The 3rd time wasn't the charm, but i had to try haha my kid dared me to lol.

Martin Jr
07-25-2011, 03:36 PM
I empathise with the injuries. Sorry to hear about you being laid up.

Tomorrow I'm having the bones in my left thumb removed and they are rebuilding the joint with tendons taken from my wrist.

Good thing living in Florida - I'll be free to ride again in December/January and the weather probably will co-operate!!