PDA

View Full Version : Boat died underway (suspect PerfectPass)

tbh13
07-12-2011, 09:46 PM
Here's the facts:

Boat - 2004 Mobius LSV, Indmar Assault 340 MPI, Perfect Pass Wakeboard Pro

Problem - the engine died while underway at 80% throttle today, and was unable to be restarted for almost 45 minutes. All guages were reading normal, but the Perfect Pass flickered once or twice before going blank. The boat slowed briefly on each blink before the engine dying. Radio and other electronics did not flicker or die. When trying to restart, the engine would turn over without issue, but wouldn't start. Seemed like it was getting no fuel. Perfect Pass wouldn't power up at all during the down time.

History - have had the boat refuse to start in the same manner twice previously after a break between pulls, but never while moving. In both instances it restarted after about 30-45 minutes.

Suspects - Loose Perfect pass electronics or overheated step motor assembly connected to throttle cable. I'm not sure exactly how it works, but I know it was blazing hot each time the boat wouldn't start. Could explain why it restarts after an annoying unplanned break, and runs like nothing ever happened.

I appreciate your help. I hate to spend my hard-earned money on a boat mechanic if it's something simple I can handle it in-house.

myster
07-13-2011, 02:40 PM
maybe next time go under the dash and simply unplug your perfect pass module. If it is the culprit, your boat should operate normally!!

tbh13
07-14-2011, 11:17 AM
I'll give that a shot. I figured since it killed the engine when it was off that it was permanently tied into the electronics. Thanks.