PDA

View Full Version : New member! Advice on buying this boat:

94Pro-5.0
07-12-2011, 07:36 PM
hey everyone! i am about to buy my first bought and i have landed on this 2001 moomba ls. tell me what you think and what you would pay. has 300 hours on it and looks to be great condition. I am going to see it in person tomorrow. asking price is $16,900

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj315/94Pro-5-0/vp2197539_1_large.jpg
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj315/94Pro-5-0/vp2197539_4_large.jpg
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj315/94Pro-5-0/vp2197539_6_large.jpg
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj315/94Pro-5-0/vp2197539_5_large.jpg

94Pro-5.0
07-12-2011, 07:37 PM
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj315/94Pro-5-0/vp2197539_2_large.jpg
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj315/94Pro-5-0/vp2197539_7_large.jpg
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj315/94Pro-5-0/vp2197539_6a1_large.jpg
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj315/94Pro-5-0/vp2197539_8a1_large.jpg

Hootreville
07-12-2011, 07:46 PM
Seems like an ok deal to me. Good luck!!

SC Ink
07-12-2011, 07:50 PM
Is Forney, Texas near you?

Great 2009 for sale and it's helping support a child in need.

See the classifieds

$17K for a 2001 sounds pretty steep. Spend a little more and get 3X the boat.

94Pro-5.0
07-12-2011, 07:56 PM
i'll try to negotiate it lower of course. plus it matches my tahoe.

forney is not far from me. i cant seem to find an 09 anywhere near this same price, whos post is it in the classifieds?

SC Ink
07-12-2011, 08:05 PM
It won't be anywhere near the $17K price, but like I said it's 3X the boat.

See Gottop's post in the classifieds

94Pro-5.0
07-12-2011, 08:24 PM
i really dont need 3x the boat though. i like this one and really just want some good solid opinions on this one.

its affordable to me and exactly what i need.

i want to know if there is anything i should look for when i go tomorrow and how much i should pay at the very most.

Hootreville
07-12-2011, 08:44 PM
Check NADA it is a good tool to get a good idea of what it is worth before purchasing.

Gottop69
07-12-2011, 08:48 PM
That is a nice boat. If you want one loaded check mine out in classified. It's 2009 möbius lsv.

maxpower220
07-12-2011, 09:29 PM
The graphics were updated with 07-09 on the side. The teak deck can be sanded, and oiled. Then it will look like brand new. Price is a little high, but that is expected from the dealer. Negotiate down, but don't try to low ball.

usaski1
07-12-2011, 10:04 PM
Is it carb or EFI.. if it's EFI, go for it, but myself, I wouldnt own a carbed boat.

94Pro-5.0
07-12-2011, 10:11 PM
its efi, i posted a pic of the motor

greenmonster
07-12-2011, 10:58 PM
Looks like the boat is in great shape, have you had a test ride yet?

It would be a plus for you having a good dealer so close to home- those guys have a great service department, that's where I bought mine.

94Pro-5.0
07-13-2011, 02:50 AM
thats good to know.

i have not taken in for a spin yet

so guys, what should i offer for the boat tomorrow?

jbgp1200
07-13-2011, 09:38 AM
I'm in Austin and spent 3 months shopping Austin, Dallas and even Houston which i stopped doing because all of the boats had been used in brackish water. Your in a sellers market for boats in N Texas right now. 300 days of sunshine this side of Texas and we can use our boats 9 months out of the year. For that boat you would be getting a great deal in my opinion. Ive looked at 05 LSV's that are beat to hell with 300+ hours on them for 30k.

This is originally what we were looking for. Good starter boat under 20k. We ended up upping our budget because we wanted the seating that an LSV offered. If your looking for a direct drive I think that's a Steel in Dallas.

94Pro-5.0
07-13-2011, 09:50 AM
cool, from my research i thought it was a good deal too. especially if i can talk him down a few thousand $. i'll be going this afternoon so wish me luck.

the only thing ive noticed that i dont like from the pics is that the moomba decal on the side seams to sit too low.

Mikes
07-13-2011, 10:14 AM
Looks well cared for! Is it just me or is the ski pylon bent?

94Pro-5.0
07-13-2011, 11:23 AM
i also thought it might look crooked :confused:

saberworks
07-13-2011, 01:55 PM
Pylon looks crooked to me, too. Open up the engine cover and stick your head under there. On my old prostar it was just a couple of U-bolts holding it in and a new pylon was 300 bucks.

iwaterskihard
07-13-2011, 02:02 PM
Boat looks to be in good shape. I agree the pylon looks bent (could be from barefoot bar being mounted too high with lots of weight on the end of the boom?)

My biggest suggestion would be to figure out exactly what you're going to want to use this boat for? Let's face it this model of boat is really geared for 3 event skiing and not so much for wakeboards or surfing?

I own one too but my passion is slalom skiing and barefoot. The mid mount motor often ends up making people wish they had V drives if they have families or want to take lots of people out in them?

Storage will be a bit of an issue if you have a family or lots of people on board as well?

Boat does look good though and looks like it only needs a small bit of TLC.

I know I love mine and anytime someone says to me they wished I'd have bought a V drive I always ask them "Where's your boat then and why aren't we riding in yours?" "Oh ya because you don't have one!" :p

Good luck on your future purchase!

KG's Supra24
07-13-2011, 02:14 PM
Looks nice and well cared for for that year.

If you don't love the graphics and feel they sit wrong then its no biggie to pull them off. Tons of people on here run with no decals and love it.

I spotted the Polk interior speakers which is a solid in-boat upgrade to the stock stereo. Not expensive, but nice thats its done.

I personally wouldn't be afraid to low ball. The worst they can do is say no and then yall can start working somewhere in the middle. Lets face it, they aren't going to refuse to sell you the boat.

I'd go back and reread what iwaterskihard said. He raised all the right questions when considering the boat. Really evaluate if you are good with direct drive. Its not the best at surfing and boarding but people here do it all the time with additional ballast and pumps. It can be done.

Nothing against gottops boat but im not sure how it gets brought up in comparison.

Best of luck to you this afternoon. I'm thinking start at $12,500. :D

bergermaister
07-13-2011, 05:08 PM
In addition to what every has said I'd take a close look at the seams of the upholstery as well as the gelcoat for any spider cracks around the platform mounts. Same with the tower mounts. Also around the rubrail to see if it's had any accidental dock lovin. If you get to water test, scope out the condition of the carpet on the bunks on the trailer when the boat is off too.

Mine is a 2001 and all original. I've seen that very minor splits at the seams in the upholstery definitely grow over time. I have a few spider cracks in the gel coat around the platform mounts that I am not sure came from me or came like that from the original owner.

If you can, also check the date code on the tires. I've heard they are only supposed to be ran 4-5 years or so. I'm still running the originals (yes 10 yrs old) but inspect them very regularly. If you can, eyeball the brake pads and rotors while you're down there as well.

All of that is just cosmetic really or easy enough to fix/replace but will give you some negotiation angles and possibly save you a few bucks by knocking down the price or the dealer fixing little things for you.

rdlangston13
07-13-2011, 07:51 PM
I'm in Austin and spent 3 months shopping Austin, Dallas and even Houston which i stopped doing because all of the boats had been used in brackish water. Your in a sellers market for boats in N Texas right now. 300 days of sunshine this side of Texas and we can use our boats 9 months out of the year. For that boat you would be getting a great deal in my opinion. Ive looked at 05 LSV's that are beat to hell with 300+ hours on them for 30k.

This is originally what we were looking for. Good starter boat under 20k. We ended up upping our budget because we wanted the seating that an LSV offered. If your looking for a direct drive I think that's a Steel in Dallas.

hey now, not everyone in houston rides in brackish! i for one refure to put my boat in anything salty! trinity river and lake livingston all the way!

volfo
07-14-2011, 10:55 AM
I have the same boat and I like it a lot. That hull was used from 2001-2005 for the Outback LS, Mobius LS (same boat but Mobius came standard with some wakeboarding features like tower that were options on Outback) in direct drive and same hull was used in the 2001-2005 Outback LSV and Mobius LSV and 2006-2008 Outback V, all of which were the same boat in V drive. When I say same boat - interior improvements were made along the way but it is the same piece of fiberglass, same layout, etc.

Mine has the 320 hp throttle body fuel injected indmar, which I'm guessing is what yours has. I bought mine 4 years ago with 117 hours on it for around what your asking price is but with no tower or ballast. I added tower, tower bimini, and use a few fat sacs sometimes, as well as a new head unit and replaced the stock speakers with some polks and a few cosmetic things. It's been a good all around boat. Perfect for kids wakeboarding and me too, since I'm not that advanced. You can also ski it really well if you have any desire to do so. That hull was AWSA certified and it will pull you through the course if you want.But I still have no problem at all going wake to wake or out into the flats and I have no desire to start flipping or anything like that. I would like to surf. I know it can be done, plenty of people do it, you just need a lot of weight.

I have 3 flyhigh ballast bags. I keep one in the ski locker that I only rarely fill, I keep two under the rear bench seat. I usually keep the one on the passenger side filled as much room as there is in there and the one on the driver side about half filled to keep the boat weight more balanced. I usually just fill those like that in the spring and unfill them in the fall but I don't trailer the boat anymore.

As I said, it's been a really good all around boat. I now have about 355 hours on it and I've never had any problems at all except two episodes of vapor lock - both on days pushing 100 degrees, which I think l've got figured out. It can happen on really hot days when you have been running and then leave the boat off for an extended period of time. Heat builds in the engine box and can cause the fuel in the fuel line to actually vaporize and then of course the boat won't run until it turns back to liquid. Using a little sta-bil seems to help, and the main thing is on a really hot day if we tie up at a marina to go to lunch or if we stop to swim for 30 minutes plus, I just run the blower or even will sometimes prop open the engine compartment for a few minutes to let the heat from the engine dissipate. This is not a problem specific to moomba or indmar - it can happen to any boat and particularly any inboard. Other than that, the boat has always run dead solid perfect.

I would have no qualms about buying that boat if it is in good condition. To me with a used boat condition is everything. The only other thing I'd say is that don't be surprised if in a few years you might want a v drive. I'm definitely starting to get that itch. Mainly so I won't necessarily have ballast bags lying around everywhere on the floor if we want to surf. But I am really happy with my boat and it has been perfect for us so far.

casmith71
07-14-2011, 10:52 PM
check underneath the boat for ANY fiberglass repairs, camber of tires, and make sure everything works ( bilge, blower, amps, etc.) make sure that teak is not splintered or cracked. lookes to me like the dog house is twisted rather than the pylon being bent. you can check the pylon with a carpenter square. is the steering tight? anything that is broke or doesn't work is bullets in your gun.

i have an 05 mobius w/stock ballast and we have no problem surfing and wakeboarding. Good luck

aquavette
07-15-2011, 09:48 AM
I've seen it in person.
Pictures can be deceiving. Condition is much worse than shown, and boat is very weathered. Definitely NOT well cared for.

:(

KG's Supra24
07-15-2011, 10:10 AM
Ouch, perhaps those were old pics.

What was the final result?

aquavette
07-15-2011, 10:17 AM
Ouch, perhaps those were old pics.

What was the final result?

Can't say. I went to look at the boat 2-3 weeks ago looking to upgrade my '96 model ski centurion closed bow to something with more room. Was VERY disappointed in the condition of this boat, especially at this price.

However, a week later I left the same dealer with a new 2010 Outback V, so I guess it worked out ok for me.

:D

jpetty3023
07-15-2011, 02:27 PM
Post some pics aquavette

FamilyMatters
07-15-2011, 03:37 PM
Dont Buy It until you drive it!! (I'd pull someone with it).

NADA is 13,000 to 14,000 but that is assuming good condition.

Peace
Darren

aquavette
07-15-2011, 03:57 PM
Post some pics aquavette

Got no pics of my own yet, just the crappy photo from the dealer site:

http://cdn-4.psndealer.com/e2/dealersite/images/dallasskiboats/vp2124297_1.jpg