PDA

View Full Version : Blocked Websites

KG's Supra24
07-12-2011, 01:22 PM
How many of you have to deal with websites being blocked at work?

I work at a mid-size firm with about 40ish employees. This website blocking idea has been getting implemented over the past year and it drives me nuts! I instantly get mad when I can't get to something I want/need to look at.

Welp, guess I should get back to work ...:rolleyes:

ian ashton
07-12-2011, 01:47 PM
I work for a big bank, and we have a pretty severe filter. Usually anything I want to look at is open, but the ads and links on CNN and Yahoo ALWAYS set the thing off, giving me death threats and such.

bergermaister
07-12-2011, 01:47 PM
I used to block a lot of sites from the kids at home - found that homework time involved a whole lot of screwing around and it was starting to show in their grades.

They're crafty little shits though and started using proxy servers or proxy websites. These will allow you to surf blocked sites via a window from that site. A window in a window if you will. They said they used these at school all the time to view Myspace, Facebook, etc. that the school was blocking.

Now if they'd only put that sort of dedication and creativity into their school work!

My company is small, only about 12 people and nothing is blocked, tracked, anything. Our VP/boss is often founding screwing around playing Soduku on-line and looking at sailboats on CL for hours on end so if he's the guy setting the example then we're screwed.

sandm
07-12-2011, 02:19 PM
work at a retail distribution center with around 100 employees. regional retailer that employs around 10,000.
websense sucks. some sites I can understand, but others are frustrating..

I have a pc at my desk, but it's a virtual pc running off a server. slow as crap and I'm currently using internet explorer 6.0 with no plugins.
anyone have any idea how many websites use flash that I can't see :( and I can't upgrade as the admin options are gone.

jmb
07-12-2011, 06:28 PM
My company uses Mcafee to screen. I have had to use a web site to get into a web site also. They finally made ok to get on Moomba Forums.

cmtaylor777
07-12-2011, 08:15 PM
Work for a large Bank as well. No outside Email accounts and several sites blocked.

I am surprised I can log in here.

E4NASH
07-13-2011, 11:33 AM
I work for a large Agricultural Chemical company and I work in IT. We use websense to block access to certain websites and use a proxy server to restict access to the internet in general. Pretty much any video and audio streaming and social networking sites are blocked. Along with the typical p0rn, game, and gambling sites. Even some of the photos that get posted on here via links to other sites don't show up. We had a go around that left it open for us who know but it got abused and ended up getting closed. One moron ruins it for everyone! It's pretty much standard stuff over here but I have worked for places that restrict a lot more and a lot less. If its' blocked on the computer I'll usually use my i-Phone to view it.

csm
07-13-2011, 06:14 PM
I work for a fortune 500 company, so I can kinda see the need for it with so many employees, but it drives me nuts. It's really inconsistent. A lot of forums are blocked, but luckily this one isn't yet. The one that kills me is pandora. We used to be able to use it at work until they blocked it. Luckily it's not blocked on my work issued blackberry:D.

rdlangston13
07-14-2011, 01:42 AM
My work gave me a laptop and it has no programmed restrictions. That being sad I was told not to visit certain websites. On the rig we are told to not go to you tube or any site that streams video due to the large amount of bandwidth is uses and offshore internet is already very very very very slow