PDA

View Full Version : Touch Up Paint for 2011 LSV

ericb97
07-12-2011, 02:42 AM
I have a new 2011 Moomba LSV and we recently got some pretty deep scratches to where the scratch appeared white on a red and black moomba. is this because it went through the gelcoat and the color and is now to the base or primer color? I was wondering if anyone sells Moomba specific colors to touch up a boat on a few scratches. If not what is the best stuff to use to try and minimize the look of the scratches. I have already tried 3M rubbing compound and it does not work on my deep scratches. Thanks for your help!

deafgoose
07-12-2011, 08:49 AM
The white you see may be fiberglass. It sounds to me like you need a gelcoat repair kit.

Post some pics when you get a chance.

jmvotto
07-12-2011, 08:49 AM
http://www.spectrumcolor.com/

they have oem gelcoat touch up kits.

Razzman
07-12-2011, 11:14 AM
While your deciding on how to address this, just use a Sharpie pen in the color that closest matches and it will almost disappear. I've done that on other boats and it lasts a long time is almost impossible to see.

ericb97
07-17-2011, 04:27 PM
Here some pics of the scratches on my LSV, when you feel them they dont seem that deep, but yet I still think its to the fiberglass or primer coat, any possible ways to fix them? Thanks, Landon

WaterBullDawg1980
07-18-2011, 10:29 PM
How in the world did you get scratches like that?

Not sure what you would use to get rid of that. I see that the gel coat restore kit says it matches the color, so maybe, but man those are some deep scratches. I would be beside myself if I saw those on my boat.

Be sure to let us know your results after you do the repair.

lsvboombox
07-18-2011, 10:41 PM
looks to me like those could be wetsanded to remove them.. they dont look deep at all(maybe its an illusion)..

maybe even a light compound would get them out

mnpracing
07-18-2011, 11:31 PM
Here some pics of the scratches on my LSV, when you feel them they dont seem that deep, but yet I still think its to the fiberglass or primer coat, any possible ways to fix them? Thanks, Landon

Where did you buy the LSV up in Minot? I grew up in Williston.

kaneboats
07-19-2011, 09:54 AM
I have wetsanded out scratches like that before on my Outback. It takes a long time and you have to be very careful. You might consider having a professional take care of it. If you do it yourself, remember that you have to take a large area down to the depth of the scratches in the gelcoat or it will show up as a ripple when you finally polish the surface.

kennedy
07-19-2011, 05:14 PM
Take your boat to the old Wades AutoBody shop and have WADE hook you up!!