PDA

View Full Version : Bilge pump not working..........

Replicant
07-11-2011, 02:08 PM
I have recently noticed that my bilge pump does not work. Attwood Sahara S500. Never needed it until last week after a full day of wakesurfing. I had a lot of water in my ski locker and would have thought that the bilge should kick on. Flipped the switch but no light. Reset the breaker but nothing came on. Connections are solid. Before I go out and buy another one, am I missing anything?

Thanks,

Erik

brain_rinse
07-11-2011, 02:35 PM
There should be a manual knob on the side... see if it works when you turn that.

Replicant
07-12-2011, 01:42 PM
There should be a manual knob on the side... see if it works when you turn that.

Thanks, I will try that tonight.

Ian Brantford
07-12-2011, 10:07 PM
In a pinch, you can detach a ballast drain hose and use it to pump out bilge water.

Replicant
07-12-2011, 11:36 PM
Just an update in case anyone runs into this problem in the future. Tonight, I checked the float per Dan's suggestion above. Small knob on the side. Still no go. I disconnected the pump from the base to expose the float and impeller. I should mention that there is a fine mesh stainless sieve to prevent clogging or jamming the impeller (this is a centrifugal pump). Sure enough, there was a rather large chunk of plastic wedged into the impeller. Judging by the brownish burnt color and smell, this pump was fried. Initially, the breaker tripped but the repeat attempts probably cooked it. What is frustrating is that this plastic is of the same material of the pump housing. There was nothing broken internally, I just think that some trimming during the manufacture did not get removed from the pump and this chunk of plastic made it's way to the impeller in time. So, off to buy a new pump so I can get out next weekend.

kmcg
07-13-2011, 11:25 AM
Same thing happened to mine this weekend. I ordered a new one from Walmart (about $40 with shipping). Does anyone know where I can order a new waterproof electrical connector that currently hooks up the bilge?

KG's Supra24
07-13-2011, 02:01 PM
I bought a pump from walmart as well.

I went and grabbed waterproof heat shrink butt connectors from a local auto shop. Spliced the old wires and connected the new. It has worked all summer without issues.

When replacing the pump, I just swapped the top half, the pump, and left the original casing on the bottom as I believe mine was glassed in.

Replicant
07-13-2011, 03:28 PM
I bought a pump from walmart as well.

I went and grabbed waterproof heat shrink butt connectors from a local auto shop. Spliced the old wires and connected the new. It has worked all summer without issues.

When replacing the pump, I just swapped the top half, the pump, and left the original casing on the bottom as I believe mine was glassed in.

Mine is glassed in as well. Picked up the pump at Walmart this morning. Thanks for the tip on the connectors, I will pick some up.