PDA

View Full Version : Water in Ski Locker

squeeg333
07-11-2011, 01:36 PM
So, this is kind of been an ongoing issue with my boat for some time now. Everytime we go out, no matter what, the ski locker ends up with several inches (3-5") of water in the bottom of it.

I guess I should preface this by saying that this has only been observed when the ski locker sack has been used (since I don't remember a time when I went out and I didn't fill the ballast)

I installed a plug in the drain hole at the end of the ski locker a year or so ago, and it works well, keeping that water in. But, I am trying to figure out where it is coming from. It appears to be clean water, so my guess is it is coming from the ballast each time it's used. I changed one of the fittings in the ski locker sack to a new one, just to check if that was the cause (it doesn't appear to be). And I am getting ready to replace the female quick connects, and probably remove/reinstall the empty pump.

But, I guess I am just curious if any of you have seen this before. I looked at the sack, and it doesn't appear to have a leak in it anywhere...

I have checked, and it doesn't sound like I have water below the ski locker, or at least, I can't hear it squish like a lot of you have mentioned. I still will probably drill that hole that many have to remove water that is there, so, I don't think this is the cause...

Any additional advice would be solid.

jbgp1200
07-11-2011, 02:40 PM
I have not found a fix for this bet but draining the water out while I'm on the launch seems to prevent it from coming home with me. Really can't put anything in there that I want to keep dry though. My front ballast is usually full anyway. Been filling up on its own. actually got so full at about 30 mph yesterday that it popped the door open.

cab13367
07-11-2011, 03:23 PM
squeeg,

Did you look at the fittings with the bag filling to see if there are any leaks in the water delivery system, from the pump to the bag? I see that you replaced some fittings but you didn't mention if you noticed them leaking.

3-5" is a lot of water in there - is that with the bag in there?

I also plugged the hole at one time but found water to accumulate in there just like you so I removed the plug and just make sure I park the boat for a few minutes at a road with a steep slope to let all the water drain out. Once I get the boat in the garage, there is still usually about a 1/4" of water in the back 1/4 of the locker so I don't worry about it.

Al

rdlangston13
07-11-2011, 04:19 PM
i have the same issue and i cant find a hill steep enough to park on to let the bilge water drain out so i just ignore it. it does smell after i go to work for two weeks and get home

squeeg333
07-11-2011, 05:26 PM
Al, I did do some checking yesterday when we were out while it was filling, and didn't see or feel any leaks, though this was before the sack was full. What I am guessing is happening is the female quick disconnects are leaking once the bag gets full and has more pressure on them - since I'm filling the bow sack off of this sack, so it runs with more pressure on it for a longer amount of time.

It's either that, or something with the empty pump. I'm thinking the hose barb fitting on it, as I've cranked down the hose clamps. I'll probably take a look at the pump tonight.

The 3 to 5 inches is with the bag in there, so obviously it's less than that. And it doesn't fill the entire locker with that much - it's that deep right at the back, and then 1/3 of the way there isn't much (since the floor tapers).

I usually end up sucking it out with a shop vac when I get home, and then pulling the sack each time so the ski locker dry out. Prolly overkill, but I'd try to keep it more or less dry in there, and, get to a point where I don't have to shop vac it outta there - though pulling that plug would cure that problem, but then I'd suck it out of the bilge (I don't like leaving water in there either).

dusty2221
07-11-2011, 05:28 PM
Do you have bow docking lights? We noticed this weekend while my front bag was full that we have a steady amount of water coming in through, or around, our docking lights in the hull.

squeeg333
07-11-2011, 05:55 PM
Dusty, yeh, we've got those lights, but the carpet under the bow sack stays really dry, so the water isn't coming in thru there. It would have to be lower... but something good to check for sure. I'll be removal of those wouldn't be too bad, and re-sealing them with some sealant should do the trick!

89PROSTAR
07-12-2011, 10:07 AM
I have noticed a little water as well....how about the cooler. It may be draining there. I have yet to look into this.

squeeg333
07-12-2011, 11:40 AM
89, yeh man, you're right, the cooler does drain into the ski locker, unless the boat has it's bow raised. There is a chase that carries the battery cables up from the engine to the batteries, and the coler drains into that.

However, I have a plug in the cooler, which helps keep ice in there, and usually suck the water out instead of having it drain into the ski locker and/or bilge.

mcdye
07-12-2011, 01:06 PM
I have noticed a little water as well....how about the cooler. It may be draining there. I have yet to look into this.

My cooler drains into the bilge next to the vdrive.

Razzman
07-12-2011, 01:31 PM

Just one of the reasons I retired the built-in cooler and use an Igloo 52qt marine cooler in the rear starboard locker instead.